Familiar spirits

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Familiar spirits

Post by JasonL » 13 Apr 2019, 10:50

Joe has been kicking for like 6 months in a way unlike anything we'd seen before. We had to pull him out of his stall because he'd damage it. First pass was we found ulcers and treated those, but the behavior persisted, then progressed into the field not just when we tried the stall. Not angry ears back kicking but left rear leg would kind of twitch then he start kicking out with that one then both. Started resisting being blanketed when it was cold, which was also highly unusual for him. No idea what was happening, unclear if purely a behavioral thing he developed while discomforted with ulcers or some other condition. Time goes on, looking for new barn where he can be outside and they won't freak out about the kicking.

Today diagnoses of advanced lyme was confirmed.

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Apr 2019, 11:10

Oh man. I assume that sucks as much for a horse as for a person.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 15 Apr 2019, 06:10

Poor Joe. At least you got something figured out. Hope he gets better.

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Apr 2019, 11:54

I Gave My Dog CBD Oil To Calm Him Down and Help His Separation Anxiety

Almost all pet owners do something that irritates me, most even mange to make me angry over the way they care for and treat their pet.
I'm adding dosing your animal for psychological problems to the list.
Anthropomorphizing has a lot to answer for.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Apr 2019, 14:52

If they're getting good exercise and good attention and still freaking the fuck out and destroying shit when you leave the house for a couple of hours, yeah they have separation anxiety and medicating it isn't wholly wrong. Don't get your dog high for lulz. Don't use drugs to cover for your neglect. But if you're doing things right and your dog is still having dangerous behaviors, which absolutely is a thing that happens, do something that helps. CBD oil may have fewer side effects than canine antidepressants and anxiolytics.

My wife's late dog was horribly abused and neglected for the first five years of her life as a breeder in a puppy mill. She was never let out of her cage except to breed - not even to go to the bathroom. She wasn't even a hot mess, she was a broken animal with PTSD and a host of other problems. If CBD oil or even THC could've helped her, man I'd have jumped on it. Unfortunately she passed away just after legalization, and frankly we never thought to try.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 26 Apr 2019, 06:56

JasonL wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 10:50
Joe has been kicking for like 6 months in a way unlike anything we'd seen before. We had to pull him out of his stall because he'd damage it. First pass was we found ulcers and treated those, but the behavior persisted, then progressed into the field not just when we tried the stall. Not angry ears back kicking but left rear leg would kind of twitch then he start kicking out with that one then both. Started resisting being blanketed when it was cold, which was also highly unusual for him. No idea what was happening, unclear if purely a behavioral thing he developed while discomforted with ulcers or some other condition. Time goes on, looking for new barn where he can be outside and they won't freak out about the kicking.

Today diagnoses of advanced lyme was confirmed.
How's ol' Joe getting along?

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 26 Apr 2019, 08:45

Good days and bad. Can’t trust him in a stall yet. We are having a significant disagreement about how much we owe the proprietor for damages to stall and on top of that she installed $700 in stall mats and just sent us a bill.

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Apr 2019, 09:43

JasonL wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 08:45
Good days and bad. Can’t trust him in a stall yet. We are having a significant disagreement about how much we owe the proprietor for damages to stall and on top of that she installed $700 in stall mats and just sent us a bill.
I've seen more people lose their retirement over boats than anything else. But horses are a close second.

In both cases, it's about rent. If your have your own dock/barn it's a manageable expense.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 27 Apr 2019, 06:25

Well, hang in there, Joe.

JD

Post by JD » 29 Apr 2019, 13:14

I finally got rid of my plecostomus catfish by finding a local fish store that would accept donations. He had really outgrown his tank, to the point where he couldn't coexist with anything else in the tank, he'd uproot all the plants, and he'd toss decorations around.

He now has a better place to live, and I have some neon tetras and new plants for the tank. The tank looks a lot better now, and I know the tetras are not going to grow any more.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

lunchstealer

Familiar spirits

Post by lunchstealer » 05 May 2019, 18:12

OH MY GOD YOU GUYS IS THERE ACTIVIA FOR DOGS OR BEANO FOR DOGS JESUS CHRIST WE’RE GONNA NEED NBC SUITS IF THIS DOESNT STOP

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 May 2019, 19:53

Because the CBS suits don't have pets?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 May 2019, 20:27

Elevate the food bowl so the dog doesn't have to lean over so far to eat and ingests less air? That's the only solution I've ever heard of. And it's secondhand, as I've only ever owned cats, who stink in a different way.
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 05 May 2019, 20:39

No really you guys this isn’t has some flatulence. This is horrifying toxic emissions. If you lose communication with this facility, do not attempt rescue. Encase the facility in a containment structure and fill it with concrete. This cannot be allowed to spread into the environment.

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 May 2019, 00:02

Are you familiar with the phrase "put him down"?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 06 May 2019, 00:52

lunchstealer wrote:
05 May 2019, 20:39
No really you guys this isn’t has some flatulence. This is horrifying toxic emissions. If you lose communication with this facility, do not attempt rescue. Encase the facility in a containment structure and fill it with concrete. This cannot be allowed to spread into the environment.
Are we talking about a young pup? My experience with dogs is unfortunately limited, but cats up to the age of two seem to have no real sphincter control and lay down gas that would put WW1 German soldiers to shame. Maybe it’s something the dog will grow out of?
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

nicole

Post by nicole » 06 May 2019, 08:24

What are you feeding bro

Ours were gassing up a storm yesterday, then I was told they had each had an egg earlier and I was like...
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 May 2019, 12:15

We generally keep them on a consistent diet. We have occasionally used a dollop of wet cat food to start her eating if she’s being distracted, but it’s barely a mouthful and she’s had it before with no horror. I worry/wonder if a neighbor is slipping them leftover hot dogs or some bullshit.