Familiar spirits

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
nicole

Familiar spirits

Post by nicole » 01 Mar 2017, 14:54

A thread about pets
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

nicole

Re: Familiar spirits

Post by nicole » 01 Mar 2017, 14:56

I basically want to murder the people in this story https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... ting-a-dog

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 Mar 2017, 15:18

The borrowers or Wags Lending?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 01 Mar 2017, 15:23

Mo wrote:The borrowers or Wags Lending?
I mean, Wags Lending is facilitating all the bad things about the borrowers, so both. But mostly the borrowers.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 01 Mar 2017, 16:04

nicole wrote:
Mo wrote:The borrowers or Wags Lending?
I mean, Wags Lending is facilitating all the bad things about the borrowers, so both. But mostly the borrowers.
Yeah, every human involved needs to not breed.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 01 Mar 2017, 16:25

I think we can all agree however that they should replace the US flag with the header graphic in that story.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 01 Mar 2017, 16:33

Hugh Akston wrote:I think we can all agree however that they should replace the US flag with the header graphic in that story.
I think a crudely drawn Dickbutt would be more appropriate.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

dhex

Post by dhex » 01 Mar 2017, 17:15

Ahahahahahahaha the fuck
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 02 Mar 2017, 11:50

The article wrote:Wunderlich rents his apartment. He leases his car. He owns his horse. He’s drawn to the rugged individualism expressed in the novels of Ayn Rand and the blog Cowboy Ethics, but he hastens to argue that while he profits off high-cost lending, he’s also improving the lives of subprime borrowers. He is, he writes in a mission statement on his personal website, “living in a Postmodern culture while maintaining my old American West roots and Christian values.”
It's libertarians' fault! [Emphasis added]
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Mar 2017, 11:58

Jasper wrote:
The article wrote:Wunderlich rents his apartment. He leases his car. He owns his horse. He’s drawn to the rugged individualism expressed in the novels of Ayn Rand and the blog Cowboy Ethics, but he hastens to argue that while he profits off high-cost lending, he’s also improving the lives of subprime borrowers. He is, he writes in a mission statement on his personal website, “living in a Postmodern culture while maintaining my old American West roots and Christian values.”
It's libertarians' fault! [Emphasis added]
It feels like almost every adult with that line in their media bio is a) not a libertarian b) an asshole.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

nicole

Post by nicole » 22 Mar 2017, 11:22

Be sure to license your pets, folks, or you'll find they are "contraband" when you try to get compensated for their murder: http://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits/arc ... contraband

nicole

Post by nicole » 23 Jun 2017, 12:45

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 23 Jun 2017, 15:12

nicole wrote:Hamas bans dog walking.
Taking a page from Bill de Blasio's book.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Aug 2017, 11:33

nicole wrote:
22 Mar 2017, 11:22
Be sure to license your pets, folks, or you'll find they are "contraband" when you try to get compensated for their murder: http://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits/arc ... contraband
Followup at H&R: https://reason.com/blog/2017/08/03/fede ... -dogs-aren
The ruling is the first time a federal court has considered the question of whether an unlicensed pet—in violation of city or state code—is protected property under the Fourth Amendment. Federal courts have established that pets are protected from unreasonable seizures (read: killing) by police, but the city of Detroit argued in a motion in March that Smith's dogs, because they were unlicensed, were "contraband" for the purposes of the Fourth Amendment, meaning she had no legitimate property interest in them and therefore no basis to sue the officers or department.

In his Wednesday opinion Steeh agreed.

"The Court is aware that this conclusion may not sit well with dog owners and animal lovers in general," the judge wrote. "The reason for any unease stems from the fact that while pet owners consider their pets to be family members, the law considers pets to be property."

"The requirements of the Michigan Dog Law and the Detroit City Code, including that all dogs be current with their rabies vaccines, exist to safeguard the public from dangerous animals," he continued. "When a person owns a dog that is unlicensed, in the eyes of the law it is no different than owning any other type of illegal property or contraband. Without any legitimate possessory interest in the dogs, there can be no violation of the Fourth Amendment."
But, there's a bonus:
And without any Fourth Amendment violation, Steeh continued, there is no basis for a civil rights claim against the city. Steeh also ruled that Smith's suit would have been dismissed even if she had a cognizable property interest in the dogs, finding that the animals presented an imminent threat to the officers.
Because of course they were.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 03 Aug 2017, 11:35

Tom Bombadil|8.3.17 @ 10:28AM|#

Amazing the cops had time to determine the dogs were unlicensed before they shot them.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Aug 2017, 11:52

Hugh Akston wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 11:35
Tom Bombadil|8.3.17 @ 10:28AM|#

Amazing the cops had time to determine the dogs were unlicensed before they shot them.
Almost as amazing as a dog opening a bathroom door!

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Aug 2017, 12:04

OFFS

If you don't license/register your car, it's still fucking property. You're just responsible for the fees and any penalties if you're caught not having it registered. The licensing/registration doesn't turn it from contraband into property. It just brings you into regulatory compliance.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Aug 2017, 12:11

On the other hand an unregistered gun, in places where registration is required, would certainly be contraband.

nicole

Post by nicole » 28 Aug 2017, 14:38

Finally caught this on camera (sound required)

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 01 Feb 2018, 23:15

My houseguest brought his cat to stay with us a couple days ago. But I have not seen the cat yet, because the cat has some solid survival instincts, and so is staying out of sight of my animal-loving children :lol:
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Feb 2018, 20:35

Mojito asked Mo Mama, "Where's your animal?" during our last FaceTime with her. This is because Mo Papa and Mo Bro both have cats and Mo Sis lives on a carriage house on a ranch where there are horses. I joked to my sister that Mo Mama should get a turtle because it's a low maintenance pet. So now, in order to seem more interesting to Mojito, my mom is seriously considering buying a turtle. I'm just upset I didn't suggest a frog for more lulz.

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Feb 2018, 20:56

Mo wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 20:35
Mojito asked Mo Mama, "Where's your animal?" during our last FaceTime with her. This is because Mo Papa and Mo Bro both have cats and Mo Sis lives on a carriage house on a ranch where there are horses. I joked to my sister that Mo Mama should get a turtle because it's a low maintenance pet. So now, in order to seem more interesting to Mojito, my mom is seriously considering buying a turtle. I'm just upset I didn't suggest a frog for more lulz.
What's so funny about a frog?
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Feb 2018, 20:57

Nothing inherently funny about a frog. What will be funny is when she pulls it out of the aquarium to show the boys, it hops away and has to chase it.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Feb 2018, 18:06

turtle chasing is a far less amusing spectator sport.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Feb 2018, 21:12

lunchstealer wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 18:06
turtle chasing is a far less amusing spectator sport.
People only go to those things because they want to see a turtle crash.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges