Wait, there's no NBA thread?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Feb 2017, 22:13

Further evidence grylliade is full of old white people, there's no NBA thread to be found. Consider this the start.

Charles Oakley getting into a fight with Jimmy Dolan is something straight out of Vinny from Staten Island's Knicks fanfic.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Re: Wait, there's no NBA thread?

Post by Aresen » 08 Feb 2017, 22:34

That's Nubian Buggers Anonymous, right?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 09 Feb 2017, 08:13

Pittsburgh has no basketball team, and the local Heat are garbage since LeBron left, so I'm currently accepting bids for a bandwagon to ride...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Highway

Post by Highway » 09 Feb 2017, 08:26

Taktix® wrote:Pittsburgh has no basketball team, and the local Heat are garbage since LeBron left, so I'm currently accepting bids for a bandwagon to ride...
I think everyone jumped off the Warriors bandwagon halfway through the playoffs last year, and I think the popular bandwagon is still Houston, but not sure. There's still other sports happening (college basketball), so the NBA hasn't completely taken over ESPN yet (just mostly)
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Feb 2017, 10:43

Mo wrote:Further evidence grylliade is full of old white people, there's no NBA thread to be found. Consider this the start.

Charles Oakley getting into a fight with Jimmy Dolan is something straight out of Vinny from Staten Island's Knicks fanfic.
Bomani Jones did a thing last week with the Always Ready All Stars, because some people ain't ready, some people have to get ready, and some people are Always Ready. It was pretty solid. The highlight was when we learned that Kobe needs to get ready, but Chris Childs is Always Ready. Also a rumored Oakley incident when he was in Toronto in which he met a guy on the other team in the parking lot, told him to hand his kid to his wife who was right there, and slapped him.

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Feb 2017, 11:26

Oakley is up there with Xavier McDaniel of people I don't want mad at me. I'm pretty sure they can still beat up anyone currently in the NBA.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Jun 2017, 10:39

This Warriors team is absurd. I mean, I knew they were absurd but watching them against other good teams really drives the point home. They won more games than anyone in history last year with 3 all stars who are in the top 10 players in the league, then they replaced Harrison Barnes minutes with Kevin Durant. FFS.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 02 Jun 2017, 10:52

Go Team! Move that Ball! Make a score ! Yay!
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Jun 2017, 12:36

JasonL wrote:This Warriors team is absurd. I mean, I knew they were absurd but watching them against other good teams really drives the point home. They won more games than anyone in history last year with 3 all stars who are in the top 10 players in the league, then they replaced Harrison Barnes minutes with Kevin Durant. FFS.
I would like an NBA where they removed the salary cap for individual players.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 02 Jun 2017, 14:55

So for us Xers old enough to remember, is Warriors-Cavaliers a superior or inferior multi-year rivalry to Lakers-Celtics?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Jun 2017, 15:03

Kolohe wrote:So for us Xers old enough to remember, is Warriors-Cavaliers a superior or inferior multi-year rivalry to Lakers-Celtics?
Inferior. Last year's round was about as good as finals get. Two mostly healthy monster teams clash and the winner coming back from 3-1 down to win against a team that won more games in the season than anyone else in history. Epic.

That was the 2nd installment. In the first installment, Lebron lost all of his help to injury leading into the finals and even though he managed to get a couple of wins, it was inevitable.

In this third installment, we are seeing a superfriends team like none that has ever existed. The warriors after being the best all time regular season team last year, added a guy who is now their best player. He is the 2nd best player in the entire league, and they didn't lose anyone of consequence. This thing where you needed 3 stars to win a championship became a thing with the Garnett Allen Pierce Celtics. It was a bit annoying but doable for teams. To beat this Warriors team, I don't know what you need to do. They have 4 of the top 7-8 players in the league. Four of them. At a discount in terms of contract. The matchups just don't work for anyone else.

Highway

Post by Highway » 02 Jun 2017, 15:20

80s Lakers-Celtics had way more history with Wilt and Russel and then throw Magic and Bird in with their NCAA history, one on each side, and the really different East-West culture clash, both in the game and in life in general, at the time. The difference of styles between the Showtime Lakers and the "traditional" Celtics was always a huge part of it.

Now, they never played 3 years in a row, and actually only played 3 times in the Finals (usually the Rockets or the 76ers were the opponent). But they did play 3 out of 4 years, and it was at the end of their respective runs, so it was kind of the culmination of a decade of them being the two best teams.

In contrast, Cleveland feels like "Lebron and the guys", since Lebron's been in the Finals every year since 2010. And there's no history either with GS or Cleveland individually besides "The teams that used to suck every year."
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Highway

Post by Highway » 02 Jun 2017, 15:33

Extending that thought, Warriors - Cavs isn't as good a rivalry as Lakers-Spurs in the 2000s, Bulls-Blazers, or Bulls-Suns in the 90s. It's just two teams that have played each other 3 years in a row.

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Jun 2017, 15:45

Highway wrote:Now, they never played 3 years in a row, and actually only played 3 times in the Finals (usually the Rockets or the 76ers were the opponent). But they did play 3 out of 4 years, and it was at the end of their respective runs, so it was kind of the culmination of a decade of them being the two best teams.
Right. The Lakers were in 8 of the 10 Finals in the 80s, while the Celtics were in 5. The Lakers won 5 championships in that time, 2 against the Celtics, 2 against the 6ers and 1 against the Pistons. That's where the lore came from. This is more like the Lakers-Celtics of the late 00s or Lakers-Kings in the early 00s.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Jun 2017, 23:09

These are some WWE refs tonight.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 09 Jun 2017, 23:15

Kolohe wrote:These are some WWE refs tonight.
I watched the first quarter, and it sure seemed to me like there was some favoritism going on for the Cavs.

I was also reminded why I don't really care for NBA basketball anymore, since it's just "I'll bash into you, and because I have the ball, you get called for a foul."

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Jun 2017, 23:17

The cavs are winning on their own merits, but not calling that obvious backcourt violation was incredible. And then that cluster fark with the double technical.

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Jun 2017, 23:47

Highway wrote:
Kolohe wrote:These are some WWE refs tonight.
I watched the first quarter, and it sure seemed to me like there was some favoritism going on for the Cavs.

I was also reminded why I don't really care for NBA basketball anymore, since it's just "I'll bash into you, and because I have the ball, you get called for a foul."
There was a good article on Slate on if this Warriors team could beat the great 96 Bulls team. Basically the conclusion was if they ref like today, Warriors, if they ref like the 90s, the Bulls.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 Jun 2017, 00:01

Bulls get rolled in modern rules. Play matchup. All interesting - until you get to Steve Kerr guarding Steph.

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Jun 2017, 00:11

Rodman is less valuable with ticky tack fouls getting called. 90s basketball was physical. Also, killing the hand check had a massive effect on changing the game that zone didn't properly counteract.

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Jun 2017, 10:37

Mo wrote:Rodman is less valuable with ticky tack fouls getting called.
I don't know that that's true. Rodman is always going to play physical enough to get called. But I don't know that he couldn't adjust if the game was called tighter.
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 Jun 2017, 15:42

He could be used like the cavs use TT, it's just that against this warriors team he'd get sucked out to the perimeter and he'd have to foul. He can't cover draymond out there. Certainly not KD. And if it's bad for him, what is Longley going to be doing?

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Jun 2017, 18:12

Rodman could survive post handcheck Ron Artest style, but he wouldn't be nearly as effective.

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Jun 2017, 14:25

3 on 3 Olympic basketball is going to be the fucking bomb. I will probably watch more of those games than the standard 5 on 5.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 11 Jun 2017, 15:08

I endorse the bomani plan - 2 old dudes + 1 dude from the park. Call you own fouls.