Zack Snyder's Slow Motion French Fries: the DCEU Thread

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Zack Snyder's Slow Motion French Fries: the DCEU Thread

Post by JasonL » 30 Oct 2017, 15:34

I'm going to be problematic and say hetero girls will handwave away any suggestion that there is anything wrong with that dude.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 31 Oct 2017, 20:51

Kolohe wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 17:10
Isn't he Problematic(TM) now or something?
Has he been accused of Wiensteining?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 14 Nov 2017, 17:40

Cool, Warner Brothers has decided to basically ruin Rotten Tomatoes' credibility:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/rotte ... 14739/amp/

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Nov 2017, 19:40

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 17:40
Cool, Warner Brothers has decided to basically ruin Rotten Tomatoes' credibility:

That does not look good for the DCEU.
Even BvS made money though, so I expect they'll keep flogging it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 15 Nov 2017, 14:36

Fin Fang Foom wrote:

"However, a study released in September found that there is no positive or negative correlation between Rotten Tomatoes scores and box office numbers."

Well, that kind of says it all, doesn't it?
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 15 Nov 2017, 14:46

tr0g wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 14:36
Fin Fang Foom wrote:

"However, a study released in September found that there is no positive or negative correlation between Rotten Tomatoes scores and box office numbers."

Well, that kind of says it all, doesn't it?
It still must make money for Fandango. Now I'll be going to metacritic.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 04 Dec 2017, 00:04

Some friends talked me into going to see Justice League. It's a C+ movie, but if we're grading on the DCEU curve it gets a B+. Heroes aren't the most interesting ever but aren't terrible either. Action scenes are OK. Dialogue isn't grating. Villain is totally generic.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 04 Dec 2017, 12:11

thoreau wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 00:04
Some friends talked me into going to see Justice League. It's a C+ movie, but if we're grading on the DCEU curve it gets a B+. Heroes aren't the most interesting ever but aren't terrible either. Action scenes are OK. Dialogue isn't grating. Villain is totally generic.
Same basic take, but I'd just add that Batman and Superman are way more boring than the other four heroes, even Cyborg.

Best part of the movie: Gal Gadot butt shots (in pants, but tight leather pants).

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 04 Dec 2017, 12:12

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 12:11
Best part of the movie: Gal Gadot butt shots (in pants, but tight leather pants).
Yeah, I started wondering if it was a Weinstein production.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 10 May 2018, 20:24

I found the first season of Legends of Tomorrow absolutely unwatchable, which bummed me out as I like Flash and Supergirl which are in the same universe and share some characters. (Arrow takes itself waaaaayyyy too seriously so I have never gotten into that one.) Second season had some good moments but a lot of forgettable ones -- plus the same problem as the first season, where they are chasing the villain through time and run into him in EVERY SINGLE EPISODE but you know he's going to get away every time before the finale, so there is no tension or drama at all.

Plus the cast has a character named Rory, but also includes Arthur Darvill, who played Rory on Doctor Who, so every time anyone says "Rory" I think they are talking about Arthur Darvill.

I'm only a few episodes into the third season but I'm digging it so far. They seem to have figured out their rhythm and are making the cheesiness of the whole outfit work for them. I was particularly tickled by a couple lampshade hangings -- Victor Garber refusing to visit the Titanic because "whoever built that ship should be shot," and Dominic Purcell perking up when considering a "prison break."
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 25 May 2018, 17:03

Ellie wrote:
10 May 2018, 20:24
plus the same problem as the first season, where they are chasing the villain through time and run into him in EVERY SINGLE EPISODE but you know he's going to get away every time before the finale, so there is no tension or drama at all.
I'm only a few episodes into the third season but I'm digging it so far. They seem to have figured out their rhythm and are making the cheesiness of the whole outfit work for them.
God damn it, Legends! They had a couple amazingly funny, cheesy episodes and I was practically shrieking with joy that they'd figured out their rhythm at last. ... And then they go and establish a big bad who they'll run into in every episode but he'll get away every time. And he's someone they ALREADY DEFEATED but who came back to life. :evil: :evil: :evil: You had success in reach, and you threw it away!

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 25 May 2018, 17:56

Although obviously I am LOVING gay do-gooder EarthX Leonard Snart :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 06 Jun 2018, 12:31

Watched one episode of Black Lightning. All the characters are very boring and the whole show is super serious. I'm not feeling it.

On the other hand, I could watch racist cops get thrown around with their own taser lightning ALL DAY LONG, so ...

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 06 Jun 2018, 19:24

New season of The Flash dropped on Netflix and I am speeding (pun intended) through it. Last season was kind of dumb and very slow, but this season is really good so far. And even though it's serious and tense there are lots of funny parts. I'm very happy with this show! :)

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Jun 2018, 18:03

Is the Flash better than Arrow? I gave up on the latter after season 1 because it had the tone of a bad teen melodrama, but the Flash is my favorite superhero so I don't want to write it off unduly.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Jun 2018, 18:56

Hugh Akston wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 18:03
Is the Flash better than Arrow? I gave up on the latter after season 1 because it had the tone of a bad teen melodrama, but the Flash is my favorite superhero so I don't want to write it off unduly.
All my nerdfriends say it's the best of the network superhero shows.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 07 Jun 2018, 23:27

Flash is fabulous. It's a great mix of humor, drama, comic book style battles, lampshade hanging, and believable friendships. None of the over-the-top grim angst of Arrow. Supergirl is pretty good as well, but Flash is my favorite. (Season 3 lags but they get back on track this season!)

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Jul 2018, 09:59

The proof is in the pudding natch, but it looks like they finally get it
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Jul 2018, 12:47

I wish they'd cast an actor with a disability to play a character with a disability, but that's a small nit. I am SO EXCITED for this movie. (And I really love Zachary Levi.)

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Jul 2018, 19:30

Ellie wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 12:47
I wish they'd cast an actor with a disability to play a character with a disability
Oh man. The 5th Col. crew is all up in your ass this week.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 25 Jul 2018, 21:54

Lol.

"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 26 Jul 2018, 09:05

Worth it mainly for Andy Richter.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch