Maybe Crichton's Done It Again [Here Be Westworld Spoilers]

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Taktix®

Maybe Crichton's Done It Again [Here Be Westworld Spoilers]

Post by Taktix® » 26 Oct 2016, 21:31

Is anyone watching Westworld?

I'm enjoying the commentary on douchey tourists taken to unsettlingly familiar extremes.
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Painboy

Re: Maybe Crichton's Done It Again

Post by Painboy » 26 Oct 2016, 22:30

Yes I have been. I was surprised there wasn't already a thread on it.

I've found it interesting so far. I have some concerns as to where it's going but it has had great presentation and everyone is really doing a good job in the parts they have been given.

It can get a little pretentious and contrived but it generally earns it and at least so far doesn't feel cheap.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 28 Oct 2016, 01:43

I hadn't noticed but the player piano music is mostly modern songs and contains some extra meanings.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 28 Oct 2016, 09:53

I like it quite a bit so far. I'm afraid of it getting lost in its own easter eggs or turning into Lost, but assuming there actually is a specified direction for all of this, it's great.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 28 Oct 2016, 10:37

I'm getting mighty sick of seeing that tin can fall to the ground.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 02 Nov 2016, 12:25

I've seen the first episode now. I liked it overall, but it did seem a bit off for an HBO production.

The main thing I think is that it lacked some of the texture and subtlety that's the current hallmark of HBO. Specifically, Ed Harris coming in as a guns blazing (swidt) asshole, without any other aspect of his character (at least in the pilot)

Overall, i feel tipped its hand too far in who you want to root for. Obviously, Team Dolores, but they didn't create (again, at least so far) a good anti hero like they normally do. Hopkins played it a little too close to the vest, the head administrator was blah (the other woman staff member got 10 times as much characterization with one tenth the dialog and screen time), and the head programmer didn't pop as much as I've that actor do before.

I did like that there were deliberate echos of the Jurassic Park universe (I was surprised that Cricton got so many credits in the openning title sequence, wonder if was an estate mandate or a love letter by the producers)

And as mentioned above, the player piano works on so many levels (e.g. Vonnegut)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Nov 2016, 12:39

I think it's quite a bit superior to GoT along a number of axes. Character bubbles up as it progresses.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 02 Nov 2016, 14:03

Kolohe wrote:I've seen the first episode now. I liked it overall, but it did seem a bit off for an HBO production.

The main thing I think is that it lacked some of the texture and subtlety that's the current hallmark of HBO. Specifically, Ed Harris coming in as a guns blazing (swidt) asshole, without any other aspect of his character (at least in the pilot)

Overall, i feel tipped its hand too far in who you want to root for. Obviously, Team Dolores, but they didn't create (again, at least so far) a good anti hero like they normally do. Hopkins played it a little too close to the vest, the head administrator was blah (the other woman staff member got 10 times as much characterization with one tenth the dialog and screen time), and the head programmer didn't pop as much as I've that actor do before.

I did like that there were deliberate echos of the Jurassic Park universe (I was surprised that Cricton got so many credits in the openning title sequence, wonder if was an estate mandate or a love letter by the producers)

And as mentioned above, the player piano works on so many levels (e.g. Vonnegut)
I would keep watching as there is a lot of slow character build up in the show. It's very layered.

Did you know Crichton wrote the original Westworld? I imagine that's why his name is everywhere.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 02 Nov 2016, 14:17

I knew he wrote the original movie (though until looking it up now, I didn't know he also directed and he didn't also write a book about it). I expected to see a "based on" credit, I did not expect him to have a "story by" co- credit with the current showrunners.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 03 Nov 2016, 02:15

Can I get a tag as to whether this is a spoiler thread?
Kolohe wrote:The main thing I think is that it lacked some of the texture and subtlety that's the current hallmark of HBO. Specifically, Ed Harris coming in as a guns blazing (swidt) asshole, without any other aspect of his character (at least in the pilot)
As it progresses, it becomes a lot more ambiguous as to whether that's actually his character, or is just a character that his character puts on while he's in the park. One of the reasons I'm more hopeful for this than I was for Lost; this show doesn't trade on "put together the puzzle" so much as it's "scrub away the dirt to dig out the bone." What they'll do when they're out of bones is an open question, but it'll be harder to fake once they do.
JasonL wrote:I think it's quite a bit superior to GoT along a number of axes. Character bubbles up as it progresses.
Without a doubt, not least of all in producing a realistic internal polity. GoT always feels like someone took the worst excesses of the Thirty Years War, tossed them into a blender, poured it out over pseudo-Europe, and then said "look how clever I am for showing how horrible the Middle Ages were!" When really, that whole system would never meant peasant revolts more or less nonstop. WW isn't as ambitious in worldbuilding, but at least it manages to hit the target it sets for itself.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 04 Nov 2016, 12:45

I'm just happy that this all reminded me that this song exists.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 04 Nov 2016, 17:46

...Yeah, I've had the same song pop into my head every time I come across discussion of the show.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 07 Nov 2016, 16:14

Read some fan theories. Most of them are terrible and I dearly hope the show doesn't use those. One is pretty interesting and I think is likely. No spoilers for anyone who has watched up to now, but don't read below if you're afraid it will mess up your view of the show or something.

Without going into details it's basically what we are seeing is not all in one concurrent time period. That we are seeing things that did not happen in the same order a little bit like the hosts have been experiencing things. There are a number of clues as to who is in what time period and it seems to add up from what has been pointed out.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 07 Nov 2016, 18:29

I'm up to Ep 4 and yes, I agree it's gotten more texture and better overall.

And I've heard some out there theories on the TV show podcast I frequently listen too.

Shem

Post by Shem » 14 Nov 2016, 15:46

The further in we get, the less I buy the "happening in two time periods" theory.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 Nov 2016, 15:48

Haven't seen this most recent ep, but as of that last one, the two time streams thing was more or less nuked by establishing the time Maeve had been the madame. If she'd only been in that role for a year, none of that other stuff makes sense.

Shem

Post by Shem » 14 Nov 2016, 16:01

Also, I'm increasingly sure that the reason Crighton's name is all over everything is because the TV series is taking place in the same Westworld as the movie.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 14 Nov 2016, 16:26

Shem wrote:Also, I'm increasingly sure that the reason Crighton's name is all over everything is because the TV series is taking place in the same Westworld as the movie.
A fairly safe guess given that the guy has been dead for years.

Shem

Post by Shem » 14 Nov 2016, 16:30

No, like this isn't a reimagining or a reboot; the characters are in the exact same park, and the reason the old hosts were repurposed is because Yul Brinner went crazy and started gunning humans down, and the whole park was changed. And the Man in the Black Hat is the protagonist of the movie, decades later.
Last edited by Shem on 14 Nov 2016, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 Nov 2016, 16:30

Shem wrote:Also, I'm increasingly sure that the reason Crighton's name is all over everything is because the TV series is taking place in the same Westworld as the movie.
This is my wife's favorite theory going back to the first episode when they started referencing no accidents in 30 years and she jumped on the plausibility of the timeline correspondence with the original movie.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 14 Nov 2016, 16:32

JasonL wrote:
This is my wife's favorite theory going back to the first episode when they started referencing no accidents in 30 years and she jumped on the plausibility of the timeline correspondence with the original movie.
If true, it's the worst possible answer because the movie sucked.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 Nov 2016, 16:37

That's my take as well. I'd rather they not do that.

Shem

Post by Shem » 14 Nov 2016, 16:42

I think they could do it without leaning on the movie too heavily. And there would be a certain symmetry to Black Hat being the protagonist of the original movie, and getting into the park by escaping Yul Brinner, only to eventually become him once the park loses most of its mystery.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 15 Nov 2016, 09:43

Nice twist with the whole "who's a Cylon and who's not" thing (and Anthony Hopkins could carry plots of any quality), but I really can't see this going anywhere meaningful after one season. Hopefully HBO learned its lesson...

#NeverTrueDetectiveS02
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 15 Nov 2016, 13:54

JasonL wrote:Haven't seen this most recent ep, but as of that last one, the two time streams thing was more or less nuked by establishing the time Maeve had been the madame. If she'd only been in that role for a year, none of that other stuff makes sense.
IIRC I don't think Maeve was even around when William and Logan were in town. When Maeve is back in the office building walking around she sees the wall with an ad for West World. She is shown to be in a different role with a child and you also see her prostitute friend (I forgot her name) in the ad but she is seen with another madame. When that prostitute is seen by Willam and Logan she isn't with Maeve but that same lady. Since that ad didn't have Maeve in her current role the ad had to have been made before she was recently switched over.