Mr. Robot: with spoilers

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Kolohe
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Mr. Robot: with spoilers

Post by Kolohe » 08 Oct 2019, 23:24

They certainly put the cold in cold open.

I should have watched the last episode of the last season again, because it took me a while to remember how everything not on the farm, and some things even on the farm was set up for this season. (Like it took me until they discussed it to remember there was another corrupt/co-opted cop that was killed in the finale ladt season)

I'm glad Jake Busey was able to use the education bennies from his space marine service and go to law school.

The twist with the dinner guest was well executed, but I was expecting it.

But yeah, they really didn't take advantage of 'commercial free' like they did the last time they had that opportunity. They seem to have just added 10 minutes to the running length by letting everything linger a bit more than usual.

(I think they also tried a bit too hard with 'experimental' camera shots, in that they tried too many different things in a single episode)

Eta oh forgot about the hard f
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jennifer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Jennifer » 09 Oct 2019, 05:09

Kolohe wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 23:24
I should have watched the last episode of the last season again,
I would like to have watched (ideally) the entire last season again to refresh my memory, or at least the last three episodes of it, but it didn't air on USA and hasn't been offered in the cable company's "On Demand" listings either.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Oct 2019, 23:55

So now Elliot has ANOTHER secret personality which neither he nor Mr. Robot knew about before??!

OFFS.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Oct 2019, 23:24

Huh, okay, so far Esmail might be able to make this work without it being bullshit. Since he said the third personality is one that's been here all along, and WILL work if you re-watch the show from the beginning, I'm guessing the third might be "Sam Sepiol," (Elliot's hacker/F Society name), and Sam is, among other things, the one tried to kiss Darlene because he forgot Darlene she's his sister, and the one who comes out anytime we see Elliot do something REALLY cold and callous (like destroying that security guard at the backup facility, or holding the gun to Romero's head), and possibly was the one we saw last night casually talking about taking away Olivia's child custody arrangements, AND the one who took the bold move of kissing her after she left the bar.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 22 Oct 2019, 12:39

I finally caught up -

I do not like at all how Esmail 'explained' the origin of Deus Group two weeks ago, but he's always been kinda shit on practical economics and how a real super duper elite would leverage that.

In contrast, this week's origin story of White Rose was very well conceived and executed. (so to speak)

I think you, Jennifer, are onto something with the third personality bit - I thought it was manifested by him as a child (cause how Ep 2 ended with him in the Illuminati Conference Room), but it also explains the Darlene "you're hurting me" - "yes, I know" bit.

That said, what cuts against that theory is that they're not being subtle this season so far (except for White Rose's origin, they were subtle about that and that's why it was great). But other than that, they're not leaving bread crumbs, they're leaving entire loaves, saying right in media res "hey pay attention! this is going to come back later and be a thing!"

I do wonder if Olivia is going to stick around, or if she is more just a McGuffin and/or way for Elliot to get unstuck in his mental state. (the suicide prevention hotline card makes it seem to me that this was more a Very Special Episode than the start of a thing that will go somewhere between Olivia and Elliot)

Going back a week, I'm not sure why the dark army is doing such a hard sell on Dom, but I suppose I could see the High Value, High Maintenance Required cost/benefit calculation. Still, the ability of the dark army to recruit an interlocking network of sociopaths and minions seems a bit much sometimes.

eta- oh another thing - I watched Episode 2 on On Demand, and it had as many utterances of 'fuck' and its declensions as any give HBO show. This past week's (episode 3) I watched on regular DVR and there was just one that I caught. Is the edit of the On Demand version different from the aired version? (and is the 10 pm one a bit more circumspect than the re-airing later in the night?)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 Oct 2019, 15:01

Kolohe wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 12:39
I think you, Jennifer, are onto something with the third personality bit - I thought it was manifested by him as a child (cause how Ep 2 ended with him in the Illuminati Conference Room), but it also explains the Darlene "you're hurting me" - "yes, I know" bit.
Regarding the idea the third personality is basically "Elliot every time he does something either super-callous, OR suave-and-confident/sexy (as opposed to adorkably awkward)," and also recalling Esmail's insistence that once you DO know who the third is, you can rewatch old scenes and have them work -- IIRC when Elliot and Darlene were in the abandoned Allsafe office, Mr. Robot was there visible to us for some of the time -- but I don't think he was visible when Mean Elliot came out for "you're hurting me/ I know" AND that bit about "If you have a problem with that, leave. I never should've opened the door to you."

I don't currently have all the old episodes available even if I did have time to rewatch them all in search of clues, but if I did I'd definitely check whether Mr. Robot is visible when Mean Elliot does his bit.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 Oct 2019, 21:05

Kolohe wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 12:39

I do wonder if Olivia is going to stick around, or if she is more just a McGuffin and/or way for Elliot to get unstuck in his mental state.
Or even yet another Dark Army mole? Either Whiterose or her evil assistant said something about how "There's no such thing as coincidences" in last night's episode.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 23 Oct 2019, 10:27

Well, she's technically a Dark Army auxiliary already, by virtue of her being a virtual bank teller for the Deus Group.

Does she know exactly who she is working for? Possibly a little. Does she know the complete nexus between Cyprus Bank, Deus Group, E Corp, and the Dark Army? Probably not. But she certainly know whomever she's working for is shady AF, doing stuff that is quite likely illegal on some level.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 Oct 2019, 15:46

Kolohe wrote:
23 Oct 2019, 10:27
Well, she's technically a Dark Army auxiliary already, by virtue of her being a virtual bank teller for the Deus Group.

Does she know exactly who she is working for? Possibly a little. Does she know the complete nexus between Cyprus Bank, Deus Group, E Corp, and the Dark Army? Probably not. But she certainly know whomever she's working for is shady AF, doing stuff that is quite likely illegal on some level.
I don't know about that -- obviously I have no experience with banking from the perspective of a banker rather than a depositor -- but it does not seem implausible to me that, regarding a HYOOOGE multinational conglomerate-type of company, a lot of low or mid-level employees have no idea what exactly they are working on. Kind of like how, in the days when lots of people had factory jobs, I think it's plausible the manager in charge of making sure the daily production quota of #3 rivets is met has no IDEA those rivets are used to make a weapon outlawed by the Geneva Conventions, because THAT information is far above his paygrade. (Especially if this person is ... not unintelligent, but un-curious about things that are not strictly in the purview of his job description. "I don't know, and I don't WANT to know.")

But what makes me suspect Olivia is a mole is that White Rose knows Elliot is after the Dark Army and trying to shut down her project, so even without knowing what happened to Susan Jacobs or that Price is now actively working with Elliot, WR is bound to suspect "At some point Elliot and his partners will discover Olivia." And earlier in that very episode WR said that thing about "Instead of waiting for Elliot to make a mistake, we'll drive him to it."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 Nov 2019, 02:09

This news came out over a month ago, but I only just learned it: Esmail will be doing a new Battlestar Galactica reboot.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Nov 2019, 17:18

Last night's no-dialogue episode was really good (except for the drawn-out chase scene at the end, but since I knew there was no dialogue I could fast-forward through it at double speed). The only unrealistic part was, I doubt a rent-a-cop working Christmas Day would be anywhere near as conscientious as the one in the show.

Shem

Post by Shem » 05 Nov 2019, 00:37

Jennifer wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 17:18
The only unrealistic part was, I doubt a rent-a-cop working Christmas Day would be anywhere near as conscientious as the one in the show.
I just figured that, given what he was guarding, he was in the know enough to be aware that when White Rose fires you, it involves literally throwing you into a fire. The cops chasing a simple B&E halfway across Manhattan was what I found unbelievable.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 10 Nov 2019, 18:27

It's gotta be a bigger rush than arresting some churro abuelita.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 Nov 2019, 00:25

Damn,that was a great episode. The actress who plays Janice is great and being thoroughly despicable. Even Irving doesn't give me the same heebie jeebies, and I actually saw him murder a man with an ax and threaten to do the same to innocent children.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 Nov 2019, 00:48

One theory I'm seeing on fan sites is, maybe Elliot gets out of his mess re: Vera AND gets Vera's help against the Dark Army/Deus Group by promising Vera the DG's money post-hack.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 13 Nov 2019, 00:03

I'm sort of meh on Janice, tbh. The whole thing surounding that 'Dark Army Middle Manager' plotline just strikes me as them trying way too hard, esp for this stage of the game.

Who knows, maybe it's some unconscious bias on my part, because Irving last season was awesome.

It took me a bit to figure out what else was bothering me about this most recent episode. I was thinking at first that they're got a bit self-indulgent which made the whole thing rather bloated (by the standards of this show).

But then I realized something after listening to a podcast that was this season's preview. This episode in particular, and this season in general, is a whole lot more linear than the circular and Rashomonic storytelling that had been this show's bread and butter.

So yeah, it's weird now for this show to its story in perfect chronological order and with events in different scenes all happening in the same time frame. And from a singular (& mostly 3rd person) point of view.

Still though, I still strongly feel the whole Vera part of this episode could have been cut in half. Or maybe at least a quarter shaved off it. His 'folktale' was entirely too drawn out for the impact it was supposed to have.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Nov 2019, 15:23

I think Janice creeps me out more than Leon or Irving because the latter two, while obviously complete sociopaths to be able to do what they do, take a cold "nothing personal/just business" approach as opposed to Janice's saccharine fake-friendly nicey-niceness. Agree that the whole Vera sequence could've been shorter, though the actor who played Vera was great throughout.

Random thought: I wonder if we will ever learn what happened to Joanna's bodyguard, and the plot to frame Scott Knowles for his wife's murder?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Nov 2019, 16:04

Well, the Vera episode, wholse thing shot on a single set, was indeed very well done, but IMO they stretched out that part of the story waaaaaay too long. Though, who knows? Maybe Esmail will manage to pull it off, meaning that by the end of the series, we'll look back at that episode and think "Well, no WONDER he did it that way."

I'm also suspecting we're never going to find out what happened to Joanna's bodyguard, and the murder case against Scott Knowles.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 05 Dec 2019, 11:58

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/05/politics ... index.html
US sanctions Russian cybercriminal group 'Evil Corp' over $100 million hack

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Dec 2019, 10:37

Last night's episode was the least-good one of the series so far, IMO. And it struck me as too coincidental that Irving just happened to be in the same airport bookstore where Dom was, AND that Dom was so quick to believe him when he said the Dark Army doesn't care about you guys anymore.

Shem

Post by Shem » 11 Dec 2019, 10:21

Fan theory is that the plane will crash.

I'm glad they didn't make Domlene a thing. I'm not sure if it was the working or a complete lack of chemistry from the actors, but I never bought that they were anything other than two desperate, alienated people who latched onto the only connection they could find
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 Dec 2019, 12:35

Apparently there was a fan theory that Darlene nd Dom were going to die together in a plane crash (though I didn't bother going through all the reddit threads to find the evidence for it).