It's true, Your Honor; these Ghostbusters have no dicks.

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Painboy

Re: It's true, Your Honor; these Ghostbusters have no dicks.

Post by Painboy » 04 Aug 2016, 12:52

dhex wrote:
Sandy wrote:
dhex wrote:looking or queer as folk is essentially satc with men, which itself was degrassi high with more salad tossing.

eta: people should probably take entertainment less seriously.

eta2.0: gb already fucked itself up. it was called ghostbusters 2. there was nothing left to ruin.
I didn't mind it. It wasn't as good as the first one, but it gave us Peter MacNicol.
have you tried watching it recently? ghostbusters hasn't aged that well, but it's properly paced. (the succubus bj scene is kinda...yeah)

i tried watching a bit of gb2 last night on youtube...it went poorly.
There are a few bits here and there that are really funny, but most of the movie is pretty bad. There's a reason there wasn't a third movie.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 04 Aug 2016, 12:56

You guys are impossible to please.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 05 Aug 2016, 11:54

So I've been pondering the movie some, and there's one thing that makes the whole Milo thing ironic.

Leslie Jones' performance is what saved the movie for me. Aside from the really dumb premise of how she got to be part of the team, she was the only one with actual motivation, and she delivered most of her jokes with subtlety that the other cast members lacked (shouty bits from the trailer withstanding). Without her performance the whole thing turns into a suckfest even by my low standards.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 05 Aug 2016, 13:36

lunchstealer wrote:So I've been pondering the movie some, and there's one thing that makes the whole Milo thing ironic.

Leslie Jones' performance is what saved the movie for me. Aside from the really dumb premise of how she got to be part of the team, she was the only one with actual motivation, and she delivered most of her jokes with subtlety that the other cast members lacked (shouty bits from the trailer withstanding). Without her performance the whole thing turns into a suckfest even by my low standards.
If that's the case the trailer failed miserably at conveying any of that. My first thought after watching the trailer was something along the lines of "Did we just go back a few decades and make loud sassy black woman the only role for a black woman?" I mean if that was the level of humor expected in the movie I had no intention of seeing it. It's good to hear that it wasn't just what the trailer showed.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 05 Aug 2016, 13:44

The thing with Leslie Jones is that she takes Loud Sassy Black Woman and runs with it. She likes it. She has fun with it. I've seen her do things with it that make white people uncomfortable, and not just super-sensitive white people. She's had black women who work jobs similar to her Ghostbusters character come up and thank her for portraying a woman in their job in a way that humanizes them in a movie, rather than just making them a stereotype.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 06 Aug 2016, 05:30

thoreau wrote:black women who work jobs similar to her Ghostbusters character
I'm gonna need you to unpack that a bit. Like, there are jobs similar to capturing ghosts with proton streams?
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 06 Aug 2016, 07:46

Isn't that what particle physicists at CERN do?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Aug 2016, 08:32

the innominate one wrote:Isn't that what particle physicists at CERN do?
If they were carrying a Large Hadron Collider around Manhattan, that would be worth seeing.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Aug 2016, 12:08

Sandy wrote:
thoreau wrote:black women who work jobs similar to her Ghostbusters character
I'm gonna need you to unpack that a bit. Like, there are jobs similar to capturing ghosts with proton streams?
Her job in the subway, prior to becoming the paranormal equivalent of a roach exterminator.
--Shem

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Aug 2016, 17:04

Probably also exterminators.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 07 Aug 2016, 18:56

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/7/123978 ... s-tweeting

I now want to join the "alt-right". Where do I sign up? Do I have to watch anime?
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Highway

Post by Highway » 07 Aug 2016, 19:10

You don't have to be part of a group of gigantic assholes to think that her tweets are banal and stupid.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Aug 2016, 20:30

I actually think Leslie Jones is funny. She's not everyone's cup of tea, so I'm not going to go to the mat to defend her humor, but I find her amusing.

I also think it's pretty clear that there's a certain kind of white liberal who is obligated to like her because she was hired by SNL after the lack of diversity on the cast was publicly called out. So she isn't merely an entertainer who is amusing to some people, but is instead held up as a beacon of comedic genius because some people feel an obligation.
--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 07 Aug 2016, 20:33

My main problem with SNL is that she's more talented than the SNL showrunners give her credit for. (Though apparently just as they were learning that they could use her in more roles, she broke her ankle during a skit and so was sidelined most of the rest of the season)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Aug 2016, 20:40

thoreau wrote:I actually think Leslie Jones is funny. She's not everyone's cup of tea, so I'm not going to go to the mat to defend her humor, but I find her amusing.

I also think it's pretty clear that there's a certain kind of white liberal who is obligated to like her because she was hired by SNL after the lack of diversity on the cast was publicly called out. So she isn't merely an entertainer who is amusing to some people, but is instead held up as a beacon of comedic genius because some people feel an obligation.
I thought the original woman-of-color casting choice was pretty boring, but I do enjoy Leslie Jones. Saw her do stand up here a few months ago, and it was worth it. I laughed more at her than at the 40-ish white nerd who came before her, so I actually had the song of my people to compare her to and she was legitimately funnier.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 07 Aug 2016, 23:33

Kolohe wrote:My main problem with SNL is that she's more talented than the SNL showrunners give her credit for. (Though apparently just as they were learning that they could use her in more roles, she broke her ankle during a skit and so was sidelined most of the rest of the season)
By "showrunners" I take it you mean Lorne Michaels, who still runs SNL like an autocrat.

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Aug 2016, 00:29

I've seen other things she's done that I thought were funny. Those tweets, tho, are extraordinarily banal, and for them to be held up as 'hilarious' and as evidence that she should be part of an Olympics presentation is just "no".
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Aug 2016, 00:42

Concur. Those were superbly pedestrian tweets.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 08 Aug 2016, 01:02

Her video commentary is pretty much exactly what you would expect from Leslie Jones watching the Olympics. It's worth one (1) giggle if you are into her schtick but it is hardly a masterpiece. She's done way better.

If there's a large enough audience that genuinely goes for that schtick, fair enough. That is all the reason a network needs to send an entertainer to provide commentary on an event. But if it's just the punditariat saying she's the greatest because that's what the punditariat does, well, they need to stop smelling their own farts and instead tell more fart jokes. Because fart jokes are funny.
--Shem

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Aug 2016, 08:28

I will say that, at this point, I'd probably welcome her doing commentary on the Olympics (at least for a little while) because OMG shut up Al Trautwig, Tim Daggett, Rowdy Gaines, Dan Hicks, Cynthia Potter, super homer beach volleyball guy, and all the rest of these people they've had doing commentary for the last 20 years of Olympics. Everyone's heard it a zillion times already!!!!

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Aug 2016, 13:22

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Kolohe wrote:My main problem with SNL is that she's more talented than the SNL showrunners give her credit for. (Though apparently just as they were learning that they could use her in more roles, she broke her ankle during a skit and so was sidelined most of the rest of the season)
By "showrunners" I take it you mean Lorne Michaels, who still runs SNL like an autocrat.
My understanding is that Michaels is still very much in charge and very much hands on, but he doesn't 'create' anything per se.

It falls on the head writer and the the rest of the cast to generate ideas that get bounced around and built up to get before Lorne for the greenlight. And as far as I can tell, they're just not generating those ideas outside of preformed pre conceived boxes.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Aug 2016, 13:39

Kolohe wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
My understanding is that Michaels is still very much in charge and very much hands on, but he doesn't 'create' anything per se.

It falls on the head writer and the the rest of the cast to generate ideas that get bounced around and built up to get before Lorne for the greenlight. And as far as I can tell, they're just not generating those ideas outside of preformed pre conceived boxes.
So no change over the past 20 years, then.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Aug 2016, 13:48

Fey was very good at promoting new ideas; the show would gave probably been cancelled in the early 00s if she hadn't been in charge. Meyers was also decent (but nowhere good as Fey). Everyone (two? Jost and someone else?) haven't been as good in managing the production line.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 08 Aug 2016, 14:48

lunchstealer wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:

So no change over the past 20 years, then.
Right.
Fey was very good at promoting new ideas; the show would gave probably been cancelled in the early 00s if she hadn't been in charge. Meyers was also decent (but nowhere good as Fey). Everyone (two? Jost and someone else?) haven't been as good in managing the production line.
There have obviously been better and worse writers and better and worse performers over the decades, Fay being exceptionally good first as a writer and almost accidentally as a performer. But the process remains very much a week to week writing and performing exercise. Writers and performers pitch ideas to Lorne and to whoever that week's host is. There are usually a few recurring bits, but they all get vetted by Michaels, who decides what goes into each show.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 09 Aug 2016, 12:45

Kolohe wrote:Fey was very good at promoting new ideas; the show would gave probably been cancelled in the early 00s if she hadn't been in charge. Meyers was also decent (but nowhere good as Fey). Everyone (two? Jost and someone else?) haven't been as good in managing the production line.
I'd have made plans to see a Fey/Pohler Ghostbusters.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren