Product Gryviews

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27339
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by Warren » 10 Sep 2016, 23:15

Eric the .5b wrote:
dhex wrote:bought a filtron cold brew system on sale a few weeks back. it is good, and i get double extraction from my batches. it makes strong stuff. would not have paid more than 20ish for it (retails for 40 something i think)? not nearly as pretty as the oxo, but for half the price...i'm ok with that.

i'm also fucking flying right now so i need to calm down a bit. it's only 11.
Have you figured out how to vibrate your molecules to let you phase through solid objects, yet?

That's the best.
Anyone can do it. Cops, people, people in Nashville. Try the laboratory method. Take a running bash.

Independent Snots! SHAPE UP OR SHIP OUT!
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 16094
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by dhex » 11 Sep 2016, 09:07

Eric the .5b wrote:
dhex wrote:bought a filtron cold brew system on sale a few weeks back. it is good, and i get double extraction from my batches. it makes strong stuff. would not have paid more than 20ish for it (retails for 40 something i think)? not nearly as pretty as the oxo, but for half the price...i'm ok with that.

i'm also fucking flying right now so i need to calm down a bit. it's only 11.
Have you figured out how to vibrate your molecules to let you phase through solid objects, yet?

That's the best.
i got a lot of work done on friday, and then crashed so hard i may as well have been lobotmized. gotta go slower and lower.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

User avatar
JD
Posts: 11164
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by JD » 14 Sep 2016, 23:03

I just got two of these:
PortaPow Fast Charge + Data Block USB Adaptor with SmartCharge Chip

It's basically a small USB adapter that serves two purposes:
-firstly, it tells the port to provide maximum current, so that the device can charge quickly
-secondly, it physically severs the data lines, so that a malicious device can't harm the USB host or vice versa

So far, it seems to work perfectly. I have a Mac-formatted iPod, and whenever I plug it into a Windows machine, the computer wants to reformat the iPod; this allows the iPod to charge without the Windows host actually seeing it and wanting to reformat it. I also have a tablet that's extremely picky about chargers - unless I use just the right charger, it refuses to charge at all. With this adapter, it stops complaining. And as an IT professional, I'm leery of plugging my smartphone or tablet into an unknown charging port, but with the data lines severed, I can feel safe doing it.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24372
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by JasonL » 07 Nov 2016, 22:54

Tommy John dude underwear is absurdly priced, but man it's nice. The second skin material is the right one for most applications.

User avatar
Jake
Posts: 2773
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:38

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by Jake » 29 Dec 2016, 21:29

Squick warning: I'm about to talk about an... uhh... anal hygiene device in my home. This means I'm going to talk about the state of my anal hygiene. Which means that, should you continue reading, you're probably going to end up with a mental image of my anus in your head whether you want it or not. You may already have one, in fact (you're welcome!). Anyway...

It should come as no surprise to anyone to discover that I do, indeed, have a backside, and that sometimes said backside needs to -- ahem -- extrude unpleasant substances.

Upon such extrusion, the traditional US response is to grab wads of paper and, effectively, smear it around until it seems more-or-less gone. Other, less medieval methods exist in the world, however, and their prices have come down significantly over the past five years or so. So last week, I finally spent the money and spent $300 on a "Clean Sense dib-1500R Bidet Seat". Behold:

Image

So this thing replaces the seat and lid of the existing toilet, and comes with the bits you need to feed water into it. That tube you see lurking under the bowl retracts until it is summoned; that's where the water sprays from. It's a pretty fancy thing; it's got all sorts of bells and whistles, to wit:
- It has a dual sprayer, so it not only cleans the backside, it can clean lady-specific bits as well, assuming you have those.
- You can control the nozzle position and pressure with the remote.
- You can control seat temperature and water temperature.
- There's a little fan and deodorizing filter, so air in the bowl gets marginally less horrible by the time most of it gets to the rest of the bathroom/house/neighborhood/county.
- It's got an automatic air dryer that kicks on after the spraying ends. You can control its temperature, too.
- There's a somewhat intimidating "enema" function as well, which the user manual says little about; it just says something along the lines of "When using this setting, water will enter the rectum."
- It's got a child setting, which auto-adjusts the nozzle position and pressure for the little ones, I guess.
- It's got presets for up to four different users.

So... what's it like? Well, the first time I used it, I wanted very much for it to stop, because the feeling was just so... alien. It wasn't painful, and it's not actually unpleasant, once you get used to it. But I'm an American, so to me, it was just weird. I've used it several times, now, though, and I'm coming to really appreciate how well it works, and now that I'm not afraid that it's going to do something both exciting and unwelcome down there, I can relax and enjoy it. I'm getting used to it now, and I now suspect that the long-term downside will be that I'm going to feel distinctly less comfortable with the old-fashioned way of doing things when I'm not at home.

Of course, I couldn't give you a proper review without at least trying the "enema" function, so yesterday I did so. Going from "wash" to "enema" was roughly like going from a slightly overachieving drinking fountain to an inexplicably angry super soaker. The sensation wasn't painful, but it was bizarre. You know that pleasant feeling of going from full to empty after a proper poo? It's like that, but in reverse... and then forward again as you expel all that water. I expect that it worked, and for all I know I had a thoroughly spotless rectum, but I was unable to interest any passers-by in verifying that for me.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the purchase, and I'm worried I might become disgustingly evangelical about it. But goddamn, is this a step up from traditional practices 'round these parts. Recommended.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 7139
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by Jadagul » 29 Dec 2016, 21:45

You know, Amazon has some $20-$30 versions that don't replace the seat and lid, and just get attached under them. And I've been seriously considering getting one for the past couple weeks. This is pushing me closer.

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13338
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by Highway » 29 Dec 2016, 21:52

How close do you need a power outlet to the toilet? That's what's been holding me back, the only outlet in the bathroom we'd use it in is like 8 feet away.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24840
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by Mo » 29 Dec 2016, 21:59

I love my bidet seat. The thing about the cheapo ones is they just use water straight from the source, which means you get cold water (not good). Ideally, you want something powered to warm up the water. I love mine, but then discovered that the Japanese for some reason decided that a remote control that spends its entire life in the bathroom need not be waterproof (thankfully I saved it with a bag of rice).
Highway wrote:How close do you need a power outlet to the toilet? That's what's been holding me back, the only outlet in the bathroom we'd use it in is like 8 feet away.
Is aesthetics preventing you from using an extension cord?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 19014
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 29 Dec 2016, 22:12

... you're probably going to end up with a mental image of my anus in your head....
I might have ended up with a mental image of your anus, but definitely not of your anus in my head!

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 7139
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by Jadagul » 29 Dec 2016, 22:15

I feel like "uses water straight from the source with no heating" is somewhat less of an issue where I am. I can put up with sixty degree water for a month out of the year I think.

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13338
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by Highway » 29 Dec 2016, 22:35

Jadagul wrote:I feel like "uses water straight from the source with no heating" is somewhat less of an issue where I am. I can put up with sixty degree water for a month out of the year I think.
You think you could, but you probably wouldn't want to.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24840
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by Mo » 29 Dec 2016, 22:42

Highway wrote:
Jadagul wrote:I feel like "uses water straight from the source with no heating" is somewhat less of an issue where I am. I can put up with sixty degree water for a month out of the year I think.
You think you could, but you probably wouldn't want to.
This. The skin in that area is pretty sensitive and not very used to encountering temperatures below 98 degrees F. Think about how cold it feels to jump into a pool that's 60 degrees except it's focused in one spot. Even on the warm days, the temperature is going to be equal to whatever a cold shower would feel like.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Jake
Posts: 2773
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:38

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by Jake » 29 Dec 2016, 23:52

Highway wrote:How close do you need a power outlet to the toilet? That's what's been holding me back, the only outlet in the bathroom we'd use it in is like 8 feet away.
The cord on the thing is only two or three feet long; we're using an extension cord at the moment, but I expect we'll eventually install a second bathroom-safe outlets closer to the toilet in the not-too-distant future.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

User avatar
JD
Posts: 11164
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by JD » 06 Feb 2017, 14:55

My old earbuds died (one of the wires broke), so I picked up another inexpensive pair at Staples. I tend to buy inexpensive ones because I find that earbuds eventually get lost, break, or get dunked in coffee, so there's not much point in buying expensive ones. Anyway, I didn't recognize the brand, but it claimed to use braided metal cables, which looked like a plus given how my old ones died, and had a mic built in for phone calls.

Unfortunately they are hatefully shitty garbage. The first bad sign was when I took it out of the box and the cables were that thin, plasticky kind that never unkink once they've been folded up in the box. But the sound is what matters, right? Well, the sound is wretched. I am hardly an audiophile - I mean, I'm the kind of guy who happily listens to MP3s on $15 earbuds - but these are so bad they're verging on useless. They have no bass whatsoever. The highs are harsh and unpleasant. And bizarrely, they're not even very loud; using my old ones, I never turned my ipod up all the way, but using these, I turned it up all the way and it was still just barely loud enough.

I really wish I could remember the brand name so I could tell you to avoid it, but I think the larger lesson is that in cheap earbuds, there are a couple decent brand names you should stick to, and the rest are garbage. I've had decent Sony and Philips earbuds, and I think from now on I'm just going to stick to those.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24372
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by JasonL » 06 Feb 2017, 14:57

Yeah the $20ish sonys are the ones I keep coming back to. They have at least some low end range and hold up at least okay. I sweat in them so they are all going to go bad.

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13338
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by Highway » 06 Feb 2017, 15:04

I haven't had much luck with earbuds either. I use a pair of Amazon Basics with over-the-ear clips, and have to use silicone tree tips for them. Foam tips just continually fall out and don't give me any good sound. I also tried a pair of bluetooth ones, but found that I can't use ones that don't have a fairly long and narrow earbud part. And my wife had a pair of MEE M6 Pro that just didn't fit me either. They just wouldn't go far enough in my ear.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13338
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by Highway » 22 Mar 2017, 11:15

For those who have the Anova Precision Cooker, but can't figure out a better way to put it away than back in the tube, or just lying on a shelf, there's now a Caseling hard case for them. It fits really well, but we'll see if there are any issues with moisture. We tend to leave it to dry out for quite a while after use.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
JD
Posts: 11164
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by JD » 22 Mar 2017, 11:47

I feel like I mentioned this before, but I found the Koss "Plug" earbuds are back on the market! I am a happy camper.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24372
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by JasonL » 22 Mar 2017, 11:57

Highway wrote:For those who have the Anova Precision Cooker, but can't figure out a better way to put it away than back in the tube, or just lying on a shelf, there's now a Caseling hard case for them. It fits really well, but we'll see if there are any issues with moisture. We tend to leave it to dry out for quite a while after use.
I put mine in a 4.75 gallon Cambro plastic bin that I also use to store my immersion blender and attachments. It is the large cooking vessel option I use sometimes for sous vide.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27339
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by Warren » 22 Mar 2017, 12:04

JasonL wrote:
Highway wrote:For those who have the Anova Precision Cooker, but can't figure out a better way to put it away than back in the tube, or just lying on a shelf, there's now a Caseling hard case for them. It fits really well, but we'll see if there are any issues with moisture. We tend to leave it to dry out for quite a while after use.
I put mine in a 4.75 gallon Cambro plastic bin that I also use to store my immersion blender and attachments. It is the large cooking vessel option I use sometimes for sous vide.
You have room in your cupboards for a five gallon bin? Check your privileged.
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24372
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by JasonL » 22 Mar 2017, 12:10

It's like 20x18x12 plus some fractions on each side. I store all of my small appliance bits in it, so net of everything it's pretty space efficient. Takes up a bit more room than a crockpot but not much.

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13338
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by Highway » 22 Mar 2017, 12:43

JasonL wrote:
Highway wrote:For those who have the Anova Precision Cooker, but can't figure out a better way to put it away than back in the tube, or just lying on a shelf, there's now a Caseling hard case for them. It fits really well, but we'll see if there are any issues with moisture. We tend to leave it to dry out for quite a while after use.
I put mine in a 4.75 gallon Cambro plastic bin that I also use to store my immersion blender and attachments. It is the large cooking vessel option I use sometimes for sous vide.
Our immersion blender is in pieces in another cabinet. We have the fairly standard 12 qt rubbermaid bin that we use for the sous vide, but don't want it rattling around in there out in the dust.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 6720
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by Andrew » 10 Apr 2017, 11:37

For sports gear, DeFunkIt sports wash is worth buying. It's the only one I've used so far that actually removes the horrifying technical fabric + sweat funk that builds up over time. I bought the basic detergent, and it has worked for removing the grossness from my running socks, hiking boxers, etc. It has also seemed to help odors from building as quickly.

I'll give the one-time odor use shield a try on my hiking clothing before my next long hike to see if it helps keep odors from building during longer term use between washes.

Okay, I guess their new name is DeFunkIfy: https://www.defunkify.com

In comparison, I've used Win, Penguin, and Nathan's sport washes, and none of those worked half as well.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24372
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by JasonL » 10 Apr 2017, 11:47

Andrew wrote:For sports gear, DeFunkIt sports wash is worth buying. It's the only one I've used so far that actually removes the horrifying technical fabric + sweat funk that builds up over time. I bought the basic detergent, and it has worked for removing the grossness from my running socks, hiking boxers, etc. It has also seemed to help odors from building as quickly.

I'll give the one-time odor use shield a try on my hiking clothing before my next long hike to see if it helps keep odors from building during longer term use between washes.

Okay, I guess their new name is DeFunkIfy: https://www.defunkify.com

In comparison, I've used Win, Penguin, and Nathan's sport washes, and none of those worked half as well.
Agree none of those work. I'm excited something might be better. I .... have this issue.

EDIT: and it's Green Chemistry? Hate to say, my experience with such things is like "works way less well than alternatives but gives you a mystical green glow".

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9859
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by nicole » 10 Apr 2017, 12:18

JasonL wrote:
Andrew wrote:For sports gear, DeFunkIt sports wash is worth buying. It's the only one I've used so far that actually removes the horrifying technical fabric + sweat funk that builds up over time. I bought the basic detergent, and it has worked for removing the grossness from my running socks, hiking boxers, etc. It has also seemed to help odors from building as quickly.

I'll give the one-time odor use shield a try on my hiking clothing before my next long hike to see if it helps keep odors from building during longer term use between washes.

Okay, I guess their new name is DeFunkIfy: https://www.defunkify.com

In comparison, I've used Win, Penguin, and Nathan's sport washes, and none of those worked half as well.
Agree none of those work. I'm excited something might be better. I .... have this issue.

EDIT: and it's Green Chemistry? Hate to say, my experience with such things is like "works way less well than alternatives but gives you a mystical green glow".
I'll probably try this as well. We were pretty happy with this in the past but ran out and didn't buy more: http://www.kennedyindustries.com/index. ... ry&path=52 I have also been dissatisfied with the Nathan's.

I also tried a Febreze product that was an add-in that I liked--and I liked that better because I could still use Tide as the main detergent. I'm not about to do separate washes of athletic and normal clothes and I don't really want to use anything other than Tide on my clothes (don't @ me).

However, let me also take this opportunity to recommend merino-based tech clothing instead of poly. Trust me. Less smell, more comfortable.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests