Product Gryviews

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Andrew

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by Andrew » 10 Apr 2017, 13:07

The green tech nonsense made me hesitate, too, but it worked. I did the first wash with the recommended 1-hour rest in the middle (so the clothing can soak), and it took the funk out of clothing that had been horrifying for much too long. At $20 for a decent sized tub, it's a competitive price with the other products out there.

I've switched most of my hiking clothing to merino, and yes, it's amazing. I can't quite justify switching all my running/gym stuff to it, though.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Apr 2017, 20:02

Spritzlet is the greatest advancement to the written word since movable type.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 02 Jul 2017, 18:23

Anyone looking for a food scale could do a lot worse than the Oxo analog. Super easy to calibrate, readouts in both standard and metric up to a pound, the bowl reverses into a cover so you can keep it clean and take it with you if that's your jam. For $13 it's a pretty solid value. The digital one I paid $23 for at IKEA kinda sucks in comparison.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Jul 2017, 17:36

Hugh Akston wrote:Anyone looking for a food scale could do a lot worse than the Oxo analog. Super easy to calibrate, readouts in both standard and metric up to a pound, the bowl reverses into a cover so you can keep it clean and take it with you if that's your jam. For $13 it's a pretty solid value. The digital one I paid $23 for at IKEA kinda sucks in comparison.
That's fine if you're not concerned about precision. Also, I don't trust spring scales over a year old. It's entirely possible they work better now than in the past, but they use to be shit after a few years.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 13 Aug 2017, 22:15

Got a Roku. It's pretty kick-ass. Amazon and Google on one device as well as the rest.

Highway

Post by Highway » 13 Aug 2017, 23:04

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
13 Aug 2017, 22:15
Got a Roku. It's pretty kick-ass. Amazon and Google on one device as well as the rest.
We have been very happy with the 3 Rokus we have. The new Premier+ we have for the 4k HDR TV works well also.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 28 Mar 2018, 23:23

Kodiak pancake mix is solid. I've now been through several big boxes from Costco. I make big batches and then use them instead of protein bars for breakfast. The pancakes seem to keep forever in the fridge.

I use the milk and egg version to get the most protein I can, and adding cinnamon and vanilla makes them taste like an actual breakfast food and not the modern version of hardtack.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Apr 2018, 18:10

I've long needed a new pepper grinder, and I wanted an easy-fill model, not one of those PITA old-school pepper mills that still think peppercorns are worth their weight in gold. (The first pepper grinder I ever had actually required a jeweler's screwdriver to open it.)

Yesterday Jeff and I went to IKEA< and I bought their "IHÄRDIG" spice mill for $5.99. Filled and used it today, and it is AWESOME.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Apr 2018, 19:19

Jennifer wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 18:10
I've long needed a new pepper grinder, and I wanted an easy-fill model, not one of those PITA old-school pepper mills that still think peppercorns are worth their weight in gold. (The first pepper grinder I ever had actually required a jeweler's screwdriver to open it.)

Yesterday Jeff and I went to IKEA< and I bought their "IHÄRDIG" spice mill for $5.99. Filled and used it today, and it is AWESOME.
By attaching the grinding mechanism to the IKEA 365+ IHÄRDIG spice jars, you can easily change the spices in the mill.
That's a good system if you got several whole spices and a big ass spice rack to put them in. For just a pepper grinder, it's too much of a pain in the ass to take the grinder off and put the lid back on.
I'd go (Indeed already went) with a salt and pepper mill set like this

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Apr 2018, 19:43

Warren wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:19
Jennifer wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 18:10

By attaching the grinding mechanism to the IKEA 365+ IHÄRDIG spice jars, you can easily change the spices in the mill.
That's a good system if you got several whole spices and a big ass spice rack to put them in. For just a pepper grinder, it's too much of a pain in the ass to take the grinder off and put the lid back on.
I'd go (Indeed already went) with a salt and pepper mill set like this
I bought mine as a permanent grinder; the grinding mechanism is only removed if I want to add more pepper. However, now that I've tried the grinder and determined I like it, I intend to get a couple more. At only $5.99 apiece, I'd much rather get one separate grinder for each spice, rather than share one grinder among several spices and have to either clean the grinder after each use, or worry about "cross contamination" so to speak. The one I bought yesterday holds black peppercorns; I want a second grinder for the "rainbow" pepper medley, a third for whole allspice, and maybe pick up a fourth to have just in case.

(FWIW, I have PLENTY of spice-rack space. My current apartment has a fairly large built-in "spice closet" (pretty much the ONLY convenient aspect of this otherwise tiny-PITA kitchen), and packed away I have the several large wooden knick-knack wall shelves I used to hold our spice collection.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Apr 2018, 20:06

But does it have an air-tight lid?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Apr 2018, 20:26

There is a little wheel in the center you turn to give it a smaller or larger grind; I think it's airtight when the wheel is turned as far as it can go in the "small" direction and the cover is on, surrounding the screw and grinder mechanism.