Product Gryviews

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Mo

Product Gryviews

Post by Mo » 15 Jul 2016, 22:24

After a day with the Echo (aka the NSA Trojan Horse), I have to say I'm pretty impressed. The voice recognition is great, the link to existing media is very good and I like being able to get headlines at a glance. Sipping coffee and getting NPR/BBC/WaPo/Bloomberg highlights is a pretty good start to the morning. Integration with smart home stuff is also pretty lights out (pun intended). Right now I see Mojito listening and figuring out how to emulate to get Alexa to sing his damn kids songs without me doing it for him.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Re: Product Gryviews

Post by JasonL » 16 Jul 2016, 15:39

27" of display is a lot of display.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Aug 2016, 13:10

Not sure where to put this. Do you guys get the general sense that product and service reviews are increasingly padded? In particular things like amazon and yelp consumer input type things. I've long had my struggles with yelp, but I dunno. I just feel like providers have been able to rig all but dramatic fails to review as 4/5 stars.

I think about this sometimes in context of the business culture of "top 2 box" scoring for client surveys and net promoter scores. I kind of feel like when enough resources are thrown at ensuring you get top 2 box, 4 out of 5 or better scores, you get some improvement and some tactical things about how you ask questions or how you aggregate or whatever. I'm not even sure it's intentional, but signal quality seems to be decreasing outside of professional reviewers in some areas.

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Aug 2016, 13:13

JasonL wrote:Not sure where to put this. Do you guys get the general sense that product and service reviews are increasingly padded? In particular things like amazon and yelp consumer input type things. I've long had my struggles with yelp, but I dunno. I just feel like providers have been able to rig all but dramatic fails to review as 4/5 stars.

I think about this sometimes in context of the business culture of "top 2 box" scoring for client surveys and net promoter scores. I kind of feel like when enough resources are thrown at ensuring you get top 2 box, 4 out of 5 or better scores, you get some improvement and some tactical things about how you ask questions or how you aggregate or whatever. I'm not even sure it's intentional, but signal quality seems to be decreasing outside of professional reviewers in some areas.
I don't have this impression at all, but I certainly do hear about it from others. I see tons of negative reviews on both Yelp and Amazon (in Amazon's case, on a wide variety of products).

One thing I have seen in surveys many times over the years (and this doesn't change) is that consumers say they are more likely to leave a review if their experience was positive, less likely to leave a review if their experience was negative. Which seems like about the opposite of my approach, but.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JD

Post by JD » 08 Aug 2016, 14:09

JasonL wrote:I just feel like providers have been able to rig all but dramatic fails to review as 4/5 stars.
I don't think they have to rig it. The average review for everything, everywhere, is about 4.3, AFAICT. Virtually every single product has one of two ratings distributions:
-More 5-star than anything else, then 4-star, then 3-star, etc down to 1.
-More 5-star than anything else, then 1-star, then 4-star, then 3-star, then 2-star.

I think this is because people treat ratings as essentially binary: "I like (5 stars)" or "I don't like (1 star)". Possibly people are just more motivated to rate things if they feel more strongly about it, so you tend to only hear from the people who loved something or hated it.

I mean, when the Dead Kennedys' Give Me Convenience Or Give Me Death has virtually the exact same ratings distribution as Katie: Bride of Virginia (American Mail Order Bride Series Book 10), which has almost the same ratings distribution as Raging Bull, I think we're measuring something other than the absolute quality of the work.

(BTW, http://www.randomamazonproduct.com/ is a great resource for this kind of research. 5 stars, would click on again.)
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Aug 2016, 14:45

I have low confidence in Yelp. Just doesn't set right with me. Between people with an interest giving positive reviews, or assholes that didn't get special considerations giving negative reviews, and people with taste that differ from mine, just too many wild cards to rely on.

Amazon is different. Fist I look at the number of reviews. Generally I want there to be more than 50. 4.5 stars is as good as you can expect. 3.5 or under and there's a problem of some type. Next I look at the one and two star reviews. Doesn't matter if they're 2% or 20% of all reviews, I want to know what the people who are complaining are complaining about. Might be something I don't care that much about. If I'm still interested I'll read a few of the "most helpful" reviews to see if the features I'm most interested in are mentioned. Once I get through that I feel pretty confident in what I think of the product.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 08 Aug 2016, 15:20

Number reviews pretty much mean nothing to me anymore. I might use them as sort tool to just scrap off anything really bad. I then look for individual reviews and try and find someone who bought it for similar reasons that I was considering. This is far from foolproof but it's better than trying to go by the rating. Amazon also has the ask questions feature which I have found very useful.

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Aug 2016, 15:34

Yeah, I aggregate all the methods here when deciding. I mean, first of all, I'm usually pretty sure of what I'm buying. Then I'll look at reviews of the short list to see what the bad reviews are about. Are they people who tried to do what I'm trying to do and had failures? Are they idiots who don't understand the basic idea of what the item is, for instance that an electric corded lawnmower has an electric cord? Is there a general pattern of flakiness or lack of robustness? Do the responses look astroturfed, in that they're all similar language recommendations? I generally have good results, but then again, most of the things that people are trying to sell are doing the job you buy them for.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 08 Aug 2016, 18:09

Warren wrote:I have low confidence in Yelp. Just doesn't set right with me. Between people with an interest giving positive reviews, or assholes that didn't get special considerations giving negative reviews, and people with taste that differ from mine, just too many wild cards to rely on.

Amazon is different. Fist I look at the number of reviews. Generally I want there to be more than 50. 4.5 stars is as good as you can expect. 3.5 or under and there's a problem of some type. Next I look at the one and two star reviews. Doesn't matter if they're 2% or 20% of all reviews, I want to know what the people who are complaining are complaining about. Might be something I don't care that much about. If I'm still interested I'll read a few of the "most helpful" reviews to see if the features I'm most interested in are mentioned. Once I get through that I feel pretty confident in what I think of the product.
Yelp is meaningless. It claims that business owners cannot get reviews removed, which is not true. It also has some algorithm for determining what reviews are Not Relevant, and pushing them to the bottom, and they're not included in the star rating, and you would have to click below the line to see them.

Amazon reviews I put more stock in.

And like Nicole, in general I'm more likely to leave a review if I have a negative experience, but I should probably change that attitude.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

JD

Post by JD » 09 Aug 2016, 12:04

I kind of like Yelp reviews because they tend to be longer and better written than the Og-the-Caveman-say-"It good" reviews you often find elsewhere, but at the end of the day it suffers from the same problems you find anywhere else: there's no guarantee that the person writing the review is particularly trustworthy. I have seen a few negative reviews for which I know for certain that the facts of the matter were not as the reviewer described them.

Also, Yelp the company is basically one step removed from the mafia. They call you up and strongly hint that you should pay them money, or your good reviews will mysteriously be re-rated as "not relevant" and your bad reviews will show up at the top.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 09 Aug 2016, 13:02

The five-star system is a bane of ratings. Usability studies have showed that 4 star systems are better, since they don't let people mark something as "3", but as others have noted, this just results in people marking 4 or 5.

With Amazon, I usually look at 3 star reviews, because ironically, they're the ones who have both positive and negative things to say and are less likely to be subject to the bias of the extremes.

Yelp is too padded with people who don't know what a good service should be or idiots who haven't realized that the common denominator in all their terrible customer service interactions is them.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 09 Aug 2016, 14:15

My biggest beef with Amazon reviews right now are people that use the review process to rate the seller, or the shipping, or the fact that the product wasn't really what they needed for a particular job.
1-star review because you ordered the 1/2" pipe and it didn't fit your 1" nipple? Fuck you shitbag. Review the product as it is, not as you wished it were.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 09 Aug 2016, 14:31

I will say I think the binary thumbs up/down system might be the best, like Steam and Rotten Tomatoes use. I find that I can at least get a good idea of the overall quality with those scores such that I don't feel I'm wasting my time digging a little deeper. It may not be as "nuanced" as the ratings with more options but it insures people have to make a real choice. I also think most retailers should not show ratings until enough people have reviewed it to make the score actually reflect some consensus.

dhex

Post by dhex » 09 Aug 2016, 15:52

yelp can be useful, to be sure. but i generally found the fixation on service for restaurants in the nyc area to be overwhelming. like, who gives a fuck? you're at some restaurant where someone is going to drizzle maple syrup on some shit and you're going to pay 24 bucks for a plate of it. stop being such a cunt. it's even worse when they go to "a real neighborhood joint" and complain about the decor.

down here if anyone uses yelp it's like "i like food!" and "the restaurant was not on fire. i found this nice."

i yelp bombed a dry cleaner for ruining a pair of pants and i don't think it made a whit of difference.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 Aug 2016, 15:54

I mostly use Yelp for things like Chinese takeout and it seems pretty decent for that purpose.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JD

Post by JD » 09 Aug 2016, 16:10

The best Yelp reviews ever are for the Target at Atlantic Center in Brooklyn. They include phrases like "I want to invent a gun that fires bulldozers so I can wipe this place off the map" and "There could be a Target in North Korea or on the Sun, and it would be better than this one."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 09 Aug 2016, 21:08

nicole wrote:I mostly use Yelp for things like Chinese takeout and it seems pretty decent for that purpose.
Around here I can correlate Chinese takeout Yelp reviews with portion size pretty easily. There are not more than two grades of differentiation in quality of that product here.

JD

Post by JD » 08 Sep 2016, 12:33

Anybody got a recommendation for a good odor-fighting cat litter? Two cats with big appetites, eating rich food = much smelly poop. Also, low dust would be nice, although I realize that might be a lot to ask for.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Sep 2016, 13:40

One of our cats started peeing in sinks and boxes (fortunately not clean laundry), so we switched from cheap-and-easy Tidy Cats non-clumping litter that I could get in 40lb bags, to unscented clumping litter. I've been having good luck including odor control from just plain old Pet Sense (basically one step above store brand) unscented litter (unscented because it's more attractive for cats who are peeing inappropriately). If I let it go without scooping too long, they don't do as good a job at burying. Nothing will stop an unburied poop from stinking up the place.

I had crappy results with the non-clumping pine-based stuff.

Haven't tried any of the clumping wheat/paper/starch based stuff, because I haven't been able to confirm that it's not scented. Finding specifically unscented stuff is actually hard.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Sep 2016, 14:34

We have been using Nature's Miracle Intense Defense unscented clumping litter. It has worked well for us. It is available at PetSmart.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 08 Sep 2016, 18:42

Precious Cat (available through Amazon) is the shit (no pun intended).
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

dhex

Post by dhex » 09 Sep 2016, 11:02

bought a filtron cold brew system on sale a few weeks back. it is good, and i get double extraction from my batches. it makes strong stuff. would not have paid more than 20ish for it (retails for 40 something i think)? not nearly as pretty as the oxo, but for half the price...i'm ok with that.

i'm also fucking flying right now so i need to calm down a bit. it's only 11.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Sep 2016, 17:10

A few years ago, Jeff and I found some "Bagglers" sold super-cheaply at a now-forgotten discount store; they are definitely preferable to carrying several plastic shopping bags by their handles (and cutting off circulation in your wrists, fingers or whatever). Then, when I was cleaning/decluttering my mother-in-law's house a couple years ago, I found and kept a single gold-colored "Haul Helper," which is similar in principle to a "baggler" only far more convenient, IMO, because putting shopping-bag handles onto and off of the "haul helper's" single carabiner-stick is much simpler and more convenient than farting around with the individual hooks on the "baggler."

I'd definitely recommend this to anybody who does regular grocery or other shopping trips where you come home with heavy items in plastic bags. Also, since I moved to Georgia, where every trip home from the grocery store is a race against time to get my purchases inside before the immense heat ruins them, I've formed the habit of putting my bags onto the "bagglers" and "Haul Helper" before I even leave the air-conditioned store. That way, when I get home and retrieve my purchases from the backseat, reaching out to grab one or two baggler/haul helper handles is MUCH quicker and easier than putting my hands and wrists through the handles of all those many individual plastic bags.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway » 10 Sep 2016, 19:53

We have what are apparently called "Collapsible shopping boxes". Some are like this and some are more like this. Both kinds hold a ton of stuff, fold flat, and are nice to carry. The second kind has those handles on the side which can really help lift it into and out of the car as well.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Sep 2016, 22:51

dhex wrote:bought a filtron cold brew system on sale a few weeks back. it is good, and i get double extraction from my batches. it makes strong stuff. would not have paid more than 20ish for it (retails for 40 something i think)? not nearly as pretty as the oxo, but for half the price...i'm ok with that.

i'm also fucking flying right now so i need to calm down a bit. it's only 11.
Have you figured out how to vibrate your molecules to let you phase through solid objects, yet?

That's the best.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem