To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
D.A. Ridgely

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 25 Apr 2019, 10:37

An advance copy of Endgame came my way late last night. NO SPOILERS. I'll just say it's good but it also made me glad when it was all over in more ways than one.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 25 Apr 2019, 10:42

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 10:37
An advance copy of Endgame came my way late last night. NO SPOILERS. I'll just say it's good but it also made me glad when it was all over in more ways than one.
They defeated Thanos, but Groot got the glove, snapped his fingers and deleted everyone.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Apr 2019, 10:58

Aresen wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 10:42
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
They defeated Thanos, but Groot got the glove, snapped his fingers and deleted everyone.
Except Steve Rogers.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 25 Apr 2019, 11:08

thoreau wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 10:58
Aresen wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 10:42
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Except Steve Rogers.
Good old Steve ...

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Apr 2019, 11:13

The Captain Marvel HISHE has the Dark Knight playing a White Knight against Superman.

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 26 Apr 2019, 13:14

I'm probably the last person to learn about this, but if you google "Thanos" and then click on the gauntlet ...

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Apr 2019, 00:31

Endgame was a satisfying conclusion overall. It leaned a little more on nostalgia than the good character moments that define the MCU, but when your franchise has earned the equivalent of a small nation's GDP I guess a victory lap is warranted. I liked Golden Mean Hulk, disliked Lebowski Thor, and dug Carol's new hair. Really enjoyed the Bad Bitches lineup during the epic final battle. Also I'm guessing that's a 'no' on the Black Widow movie.

Who was the kid with the hair at the funeral?
Last edited by Hugh Akston on 27 Apr 2019, 02:24, edited 1 time in total.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 27 Apr 2019, 00:57

As clip-show episodes go, it was pretty good.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 27 Apr 2019, 15:21

Hugh Akston wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 00:31
Endgame was a satisfying conclusion overall. It leaned a little more on nostalgia than the good character moments that define the MCU, but when your franchise has earned the equivalent of a small nation's GDP I guess a victory lap is warranted. I liked Golden Mean Hulk, disliked Lebowski Thor, and dug Carol's new hair. Really enjoyed the Bad Bitches lineup during the epic final battle. Also I'm guessing that's a 'no' on the Black Widow movie.

Harley Keener

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Apr 2019, 15:38

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 15:21
Hugh Akston wrote:

Harley Keener
Ah yes, danke.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Apr 2019, 17:08

News flash from Twitter:

HONG KONG: Man beaten up after standing outside a cinema and shouting out spoilers to Avengers: Endgame.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 28 Apr 2019, 10:37

Hugh Akston wrote:
Endgame was a satisfying conclusion overall. It leaned a little more on nostalgia than the good character moments that define the MCU, but when your franchise has earned the equivalent of a small nation's GDP I guess a victory lap is warranted. I liked Golden Mean Hulk, disliked Lebowski Thor, and dug Carol's new hair. Really enjoyed the Bad Bitches lineup during the epic final battle.
I also enjoyed the Elevator Scene.

I'll say this for Lebowski Thor: The jokes about Starlord's weight come full circle.
Also I'm guessing that's a 'no' on the Black Widow movie.
I heard that her movie will be a prequel.
--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 28 Apr 2019, 11:09

Also, Captain Marvel was underused.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

--Mo

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 28 Apr 2019, 12:22

thoreau wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 11:09

She's Superman in DC comics; that is, too powerful. Having given her all that power, the writers' always struggle to figure out how to create genuine tension in her fights. There was much speculation about her being able to time travel, which would have opened up a glaring plot problem for Endgame, and I think they finessed the whole thing well just having her busy on other planets that "didn't have you people."

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 28 Apr 2019, 15:49

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 12:22
thoreau wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 11:09

She's Superman in DC comics; that is, too powerful. Having given her all that power, the writers' always struggle to figure out how to create genuine tension in her fights. There was much speculation about her being able to time travel, which would have opened up a glaring plot problem for Endgame, and I think they finessed the whole thing well just having her busy on other planets that "didn't have you people."
I almost would have preferred less Marvel. Like you said they apparently want to make her Superman. Which unfortunately seems to be her only defining trait right now. As it is she is getting dangerously close to the trope-that-shall-not-be-named. I hope whatever plans they have for her makes her more interesting.

Overall I thought the movie was a good bookend to what came before and they did a good job of getting everyone their little moments of screen time. It was kind of mess but it was an enjoyable one.

Also despite all the time travel rules they spent establishing in the movie what transpired still didn't make much sense.

Mo

Post by Mo » 28 Apr 2019, 15:56

I liked Lebowski Thor. Part of me wonders what happens to people that moved on and got remarried in the intervening 5 years.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 28 Apr 2019, 16:58

Mo wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 15:56
I liked Lebowski Thor. Part of me wonders what happens to people that moved on and got remarried in the intervening 5 years.
I can just imagine the articles.

"Thanos got me out of an abusive marriage. The Avengers tried to send me back to that."

"Thanos took my wife away. Now the Avengers want me to take her back."
--Mo

Shem

Post by Shem » 28 Apr 2019, 19:17

That was the most boring "time travel heist" imaginable. It was like eating a plate of vegetables in order to get to dessert. The jokes were the only thing that kept it from being unbearable. It really drove home how much of the first movie was built in how awesome Thanos' character was, given that it didn't get really good until he got to the present and the fight started. And their big swan song for Captain America completely fucked the consistency of their time travel. If he could reenter life in his own timeline and still be there, they could have just killed Thanos before the snap and been done with it.
Hugh Akston wrote:
Really enjoyed the Bad Bitches lineup during the epic final battle.
Oh man, I hated that. At first it was awesome when it was a half-dozen major characters, then they had every single female fighter in it, and it was gratuitous and nonsensical. How did they all get there from every corner of the battlefield? It was pandering and a fuck you to DC, and it really took me out of the movie.
If they want to make a really awesome movie, they'll do "Black Widow and Gamora in: Escape From Soul Realm."
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 28 Apr 2019, 19:34

Shem wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 19:17
That was the most boring "time travel heist" imaginable. It was like eating a plate of vegetables in order to get to dessert. The jokes were the only thing that kept it from being unbearable. It really drove home how much of the first movie was built in how awesome Thanos' character was, given that it didn't get really good until he got to the present and the fight started. And their big swan song for Captain America completely fucked the consistency of their time travel. If he could reenter life in his own timeline and still be there, they could have just killed Thanos before the snap and been done with it.
Hugh Akston wrote:
Oh man, I hated that. At first it was awesome when it was a half-dozen major characters, then they had every single female fighter in it, and it was gratuitous and nonsensical. How did they all get there from every corner of the battlefield? It was pandering and a fuck you to DC, and it really took me out of the movie.
If they want to make a really awesome movie, they'll do "Black Widow and Gamora in: Escape From Soul Realm."
"Cheez-Whiz" may have been the best line in the movie.

And, yes, the "Characters with Vaginas Assemble!" scene was gratuitous and off-putting and [*sigh*] the subject of much fangirl praising online if my social media feed is any indication. (And Wonder Woman is still far and away the best female superhero movie, which no doubt sticks in Marvel's craw.)

Like all time travel movies, it doesn't bear close inspection so just don't think about the young Steve Rogers at the old Margaret Carter's deathbed or Rogers popping back the instant the Hulk disappears to give the green stone back to Tilda Swinton (who, as Ancient Ones go, is still pretty hot even bald) or how exactly he goes about returning the soul-train stone at Lover's Leap or, or, or... hey, just don't think about that stuff. You were already in for over 2 1/2 hours at that point and everyone wanted to wrap it up, get out of there and take a piss.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 28 Apr 2019, 21:21

Shem wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 19:17
And their big swan song for Captain America completely fucked the consistency of their time travel. If he could reenter life in his own timeline and still be there, they could have just killed Thanos before the snap and been done with it.
Since it's impossible to actually do a time travel plot that makes sense, I prefer time travel plots that only violate their rules for nice character moments instead of world-saving plot twists.
Hugh Akston wrote:
Dr. Strange opened portals in space to bring them all to the same part of the battlefield at that moment. Why? Because he had used the Time Stone to learn that (1) even the most super-charged character in the story would need some help and (2) if all of the backup characters were female he could totally gin up some controversy in the 2019 internet.

It was a blatantly obvious pandering moment, but if I complain about that outside of this forum I'll either be in some icky company or I'll be pissing off some otherwise-reasonable friends. So I'm just leaving it alone.
--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 28 Apr 2019, 21:36

If they wanted to fix this, here's what they would have had to do:
1) Have Dr. Strange send a message to the future. "The time vortices in the quantum realm are usually unpredictable, but the Time Stone can control them." "But Thanos has the Time Stone!" "Yes, but he only got it after I'd already sent it on a time loop to the future, which is your present." "So we're in the timeline where we use the Time Stone and win?" "Yep." "OK everyone, let's shrink and jump into some time vortices."

2) Shorten the time heist. And kill Hawkeye instead of Black Widow. (He can say something about how she's wiped the red off her ledger already and now it's his turn.) And in addition to swapping out Good Present Nebula with Evil Past Nebula, have another Child of Thanos hitch a ride (maybe shrunk with Pym particles) so that there's another vaguely interesting villain in the future.

3) After they have all 6 stones, they need some time to make an actual working gauntlet. While the heroes are working on their Macguffin, Evil Nebula and another villain are doing some heavy lifting for their own Macguffin time portal. Then Hulk undoes the snap, Evil Nebula brings the villains forward from the past, and the battle royale happens.

4) While we're at it, replace Captain Marvel with some other character who is still interesting, still really powerful, but not so absurdly powerful that they have to be sparing in their use of her. This character can also be female and have a 90's origin story.
--Mo

Shem

Post by Shem » 28 Apr 2019, 23:46

thoreau wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 21:21
Dr. Strange opened portals in space to bring them all to the same part of the battlefield at that moment. Why? Because he had used the Time Stone to learn that (1) even the most super-charged character in the story would need some help and (2) if all of the backup characters were female he could totally gin up some controversy in the 2019 internet.
I don't mean "to the fight" (that was fine) I mean "from all the corners of the battlefield to that one space, without a single man also being there." The part where Spider-Man gives Captain Marvel the gauntlet.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 29 Apr 2019, 00:03

Right. Dr. Strange teleported all of the women to that specific spot on the battlefield because the Time Stone told him that he could create drama on the 2019 internet if he did this. Unlike the People's Republic of China, he's at least partly in it for the lulz.
--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Apr 2019, 16:20

Endgame should have been a request to get compensation after Thanos pissed on a rug that really tied New Asgard together.
--Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 02 May 2019, 16:51

Apropos of nicole's Katie McHugh profile, Lebowski Thor parodies the alt-right's Aryan-pagan fetishism by displaying its central icon as the doughy, navel-gazing, deluded loser reality of alt-right chuds. The movie further clowns on them by letting the people-before-politics Captain America wield Mjolnir.