To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17736
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by Hugh Akston » 10 Mar 2019, 14:30

I've seen Captain Marvel described elsewhere as 'pure Marvel formula', which produces a fun, watchable movie but lacks the distinct authorial voice of movies like Iron Man, Captain America 2, GotG and Thor Ragnarok.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 27406
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by thoreau » 10 Mar 2019, 14:34

Hugh Akston wrote:I've seen Captain Marvel described elsewhere as 'pure Marvel formula', which produces a fun, watchable movie but lacks the distinct authorial voice of movies like Iron Man, Captain America 2, GotG and Thor Ragnarok.
Pretty much.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 25803
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by Warren » 10 Mar 2019, 15:20

Where I differ from most in my take on Marvel Movies.
  • Iron Man 2: It's fine
  • Iron Man 3: Not as good as Iron Man 2
  • Thor: Dumpster of a movie. Silly looking and simple minded superhero. Evil government agency, and they're the good guys? Not enough Loki. Science guy is embarrassing. Superdude's posse is as silly as he is.
  • Thor: The Dark World: Best of the Thor franchise. Best Loki movie in all of MCU. Silly 'Norse Gods as Space Aliens' premise fleshed out and made less silly (costumes still silly). Bad guy is fine. He doesn't talk much, but I know who he is, what he's trying to do, and what his motivation is. Bad guy's arsenal is cool too.
  • Thor: Ragnarok: Hate. Burns down all the world building finally accomplished in Dark World. Wants to be Guardians of the Galaxy. After much abuse, The Incredible Hulk finally gets treated right in The Avengers, and now he's some kind of clown character again. Jeff Goldblum.*
  • Ant Man: The whole franchise. Hate. HATE. HAAAAATE. Look, it's like this. You can ask me to suspend any disbelief. You tell me the suit can shrink the guy? Fine. You say it makes him stronger? Uh okay fine. He can telepathically talk to ants? Fine. But once you make your rules, you have to play by them. Ant Man changes his properties and powers capriciously from one second to the next. Like he can flip and punch a full sized guy, but then can also climb on him unnoticed. No, I can't just get over it and go along with it. I don't understand why everyone else can either.
  • Dr. Strange: Just don't like him.


*Actually, even though Jeff Goldblum played Jeff Goldblum again, the character he was playing was Jeff Goldblum so I should give him a pass. But I won't because of all the times he inappropriately Jeff Goldblum'd
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17736
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by Hugh Akston » 11 Mar 2019, 23:05

Also, I want to change my answer. Rather than Ant-Man saving the universe in Endgame, they are obviously going have Goose eat the Infinity Gauntlet and possibly also Thanos.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16802
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Mar 2019, 04:42

Finally caught Spider-Man Homecoming. A charming little film.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 23544
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by JasonL » 12 Mar 2019, 08:41

Capt Marvel pretty forgettable. Transparent formula with very little else going on. Not sure Brie can act. Tried for banter but was stiff. Could be direction or writing. Is pretty tho. Maybe a C-. Comparable to GotG2.

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24011
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by Mo » 12 Mar 2019, 09:29

What's with all the GotG2 hate? It was a fun movie. Better than a C-.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 3939
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by Painboy » 12 Mar 2019, 11:36

Mo wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 09:29
What's with all the GotG2 hate? It was a fun movie. Better than a C-.
Seriously. The Mary Poppins's joke alone is worth at least a B-.

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 27406
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by thoreau » 12 Mar 2019, 11:46

It suffers in comparison to the first one, but it is still pretty damn good.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 23544
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by JasonL » 12 Mar 2019, 13:08

It hit too many of the same notes as the first one. Better than Thor 2 and civil war, not as good as cap 1 or Ragnarok, way worse than Cap 2 or Avengers. Comparable to Strange.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 25803
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by Warren » 12 Mar 2019, 16:09

JasonL wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 13:08
It hit too many of the same notes as the first one. Better than Thor 2 and civil war, not as good as cap 1 or Ragnarok, way worse than Cap 2 or Avengers. Comparable to Strange.
GotG2? That's crazy talk. Better than Strange. Way better than Ragnarok. Probably best 'not first [insert Hero] movie' in the MCU.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 23544
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by JasonL » 12 Mar 2019, 16:14

Yes but your Thor 2 take puts that in a context that makes me shrug about the varied and wrong tastes one encounters in life.

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24011
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by Mo » 12 Mar 2019, 16:14

Winter Soldier was better. So was Civil War.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24011
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by Mo » 12 Mar 2019, 16:15

JasonL wrote:Yes but your Thor 2 take puts that in a context that makes me shrug about the varied and wrong tastes one encounters in life.
Points
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 23544
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by JasonL » 12 Mar 2019, 16:15

Civil War is nearly if not the worst MCU

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24011
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by Mo » 12 Mar 2019, 16:29

JasonL wrote:Civil War is nearly if not the worst MCU
Thor is
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 27406
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by thoreau » 12 Mar 2019, 16:37

I think that Scarlet Witch enchanted all of you and removed The Incredible Hulk (2008) from your memories.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16802
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Mar 2019, 16:38

Civil War was definitely disappointing and kind of muddled, but it's not that bad. Winter Soldier is the best named-for-single-hero movie by far, and is arguably up there with The Avengers: Unmodified. Civil War suffers so much because of its comparison to those two films, and the squandering of the much greater potential in the premise. I do wish they'd managed to grab some more nuance and drama out of it. The final fight just seemed so gratuitous, like they had to have that fight, so they just shoehorned it in, instead of really earning it.

That's one where I'd pay good money to go back in time and make Whedon or Favreau re-work or replace the script/story.

Thor was pretty bad. I was disappointed in JMS and Branaugh on that one.

Hulk '08 isn't officially part of MCU, apparently. Or you'd be wrong because of BanaHulk.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 23544
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by JasonL » 12 Mar 2019, 16:53

My controversial take is Thor is better than the bottom. It’s lower mid. I deffo exclude hulk movies because I can’t remember which one to include.

I have a pretty strong dislike of things like civil war where the title says you have to have a civil war and character and plot be damned you will have a civil war even if it makes no sense. Reminded me a bit of Prometheus that way - if that makes any sense. “Ok we need a scene where this happens, how do we get there ... fuggit just do it.”

I’m also excluding Infinity War because as much as I hated it I acknowledge severe erosion of thanos marginal utility.

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 27406
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by thoreau » 12 Mar 2019, 17:15

I think that if I ignore the premise of Winter Soldier then it is a great movie with great scenes. But every time I try to think about the premise of Hydra having thoroughly infiltrated SHIELD for decades I just don't buy it. I could more easily buy a Hydra cell with an evil plan, but the whole damn place from top to bottom? No.

That said, Winter Soldier had enough fun stuff going on that the suspension of disbelief was easier than in Civil War. Civil War also had a plot that made little sense but they did less work to justify it.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16802
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Mar 2019, 18:45

JasonL wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 16:53
My controversial take is Thor is better than the bottom. It’s lower mid. I deffo exclude hulk movies because I can’t remember which one to include.

I have a pretty strong dislike of things like civil war where the title says you have to have a civil war and character and plot be damned you will have a civil war even if it makes no sense. Reminded me a bit of Prometheus that way - if that makes any sense. “Ok we need a scene where this happens, how do we get there ... fuggit just do it.”

I’m also excluding Infinity War because as much as I hated it I acknowledge severe erosion of thanos marginal utility.
Yeah, the script writers fucked up Civil War. Possibly because of dipshit requirements from producers/execs at marvel, but even so they fucked up. Like I say, there's someone out there who could've handled that right. I mean, Whedon managed to turn Willow into the Big Bad of season six, so he's an obvious choice. I think Favreau could do it, too. Although fuck it the same guys wrote TWS and that was fucking fantastic. I put it at top comic book movie ever, above Avengers: Unmodified, Superman 2, Batman '66, and all of the Nolans and all of the X-men films.

ETA: But Whedon has a real track record writing for an ensemble cast, so he probably should've been brought in on the story/script, even if he didn't want the drain involved in directing.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 25803
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by Warren » 12 Mar 2019, 20:12

JasonL wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 16:14
Yes but your Thor 2 take puts that in a context that makes me shrug about the varied and wrong tastes one encounters in life.
Fair enough
Mo wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 16:14
Winter Soldier was better. So was Civil War.
Winter Soldier get's my vote for Best in Show. Civil War not so much.
thoreau wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 17:15
I think that if I ignore the premise of Winter Soldier then it is a great movie with great scenes. But every time I try to think about the premise of Hydra having thoroughly infiltrated SHIELD for decades I just don't buy it. I could more easily buy a Hydra cell with an evil plan, but the whole damn place from top to bottom? No.

That said, Winter Soldier had enough fun stuff going on that the suspension of disbelief was easier than in Civil War. Civil War also had a plot that made little sense but they did less work to justify it.
I just don't know what to say to that thoreaugul
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17736
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by Hugh Akston » 12 Mar 2019, 22:32

thoreau wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 17:15
I think that if I ignore the premise of Winter Soldier then it is a great movie with great scenes. But every time I try to think about the premise of Hydra having thoroughly infiltrated SHIELD for decades I just don't buy it. I could more easily buy a Hydra cell with an evil plan, but the whole damn place from top to bottom? No.
If they had made a movie where everyone at SHIELD was Hydra from top to bottom that would indeed have stretched credulity, but in the actual movie they actually made, most SHIELD people didn't know they were working for Hydra.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 27406
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by thoreau » 13 Mar 2019, 00:40

But in the final fight sequence, weren't a sizable fraction of the people at SHIELD headquarters working for Hydra? It wasn't like everyone went after the few bad apples, it was more like the whole place broke out into fighting, and a nontrivial fraction of them were fighting for Hydra.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 13127
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Mar 2019, 00:42

thoreau wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 00:40
But in the final fight sequence, weren't a sizable fraction of the people at SHIELD headquarters working for Hydra? It wasn't like everyone went after the few bad apples, it was more like the whole place broke out into fighting, and a nontrivial fraction of them were fighting for Hydra.
Certain departments were infiltrated, while others weren't. Af least in that movie; have no idea how Agents of SHIELD spun it.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests