To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Fin Fang Foom

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 06 May 2018, 11:48

Shem wrote:
06 May 2018, 04:50
All I'm going to say is, from a character perspective, having Thanos be sexually attracted to Death makes a lot more sense. I mean, "gee Thanos, what are you going to do in 300 years when literally the *exact* same problems come up, since you haven't actually done anything to engender homeostasis in your victims, and most of the universe has no idea their friends are dead because Thanos doesn't like it when you fuck too successfully? You didn't think that far? Wait, I thought you were supposed to be the most brilliant member of a brilliant race?"
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
04 May 2018, 19:40
Guys, the best, dumbest thing that could happen would be if there is a time ribbon where the MCU and X-Men universe gets merged. Could be Phoenix, could be Thanos, maybe Magik. Good guys win when Cable shoots a night defeated Thanks in the face.
I was thinking that a third of the way through the movie. You know that's exactly what they're planning to do.
They might do some kind of universe merge thing at some point, and they have stories as templates for that, but I'd be surprised if they had it planned for the next movie. The merger hasn't been approved yet and that might be "gun jumping," i.e., executing the merger before its approval, which is illegal.

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 May 2018, 12:10

They could use the same template as having Spider-Man in the marvel movies, since he’s a Sony property.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 May 2018, 12:42

Shem wrote:
All I'm going to say is, from a character perspective, having Thanos be sexually attracted to Death makes a lot more sense. I mean, "gee Thanos, what are you going to do in 300 years when literally the *exact* same problems come up, since you haven't actually done anything to engender homeostasis in your victims, and most of the universe has no idea their friends are dead because Thanos doesn't like it when you fuck too successfully? You didn't think that far? Wait, I thought you were supposed to be the most brilliant member of a brilliant race?"
If he can snap his fingers and make half the sentient* beings in the universe, surely he can make his voice boom down from the sky on each and every inhabited world and proclaim (in the local language) "Thanos killed half your friends and family because you fuck too successfully! Now wrap it up or next time he'll spare your really annoying relatives!"

Or at least snap his fingers and kill a few babies from time to time.

*I assume he only wiped out half the sentients, and not half of all life. Because if he wiped out half the photosynthesizers, half the nitrogen fixers, and half of everything else in the various ecological niches, he didn't fix the problem of the ratio of population to carrying capacity.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Shem

Post by Shem » 06 May 2018, 13:28

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
06 May 2018, 11:48
Shem wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Guys, the best, dumbest thing that could happen would be if there is a time ribbon where the MCU and X-Men universe gets merged. Could be Phoenix, could be Thanos, maybe Magik. Good guys win when Cable shoots a night defeated Thanks in the face.
I was thinking that a third of the way through the movie. You know that's exactly what they're planning to do.
They might do some kind of universe merge thing at some point, and they have stories as templates for that, but I'd be surprised if they had it planned for the next movie. The merger hasn't been approved yet and that might be "gun jumping," i.e., executing the merger before its approval, which is illegal.
Not really. They've already been planning a major retool for after the next Avengers movie. Almost everyone's contract ends after that, so they're already talking about major changes for Phase 4. All they really need to do to set it up is end with Thanos beaten, and then put the X-Men or the Fantastic Four into the last few minutes of the movie. Then you're either set up for the next stage, or you can ignore it if things don't work out.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Shem

Post by Shem » 06 May 2018, 14:30

thoreau wrote:
06 May 2018, 12:42
Shem wrote:
If he can snap his fingers and make half the sentient* beings in the universe, surely he can make his voice boom down from the sky on each and every inhabited world and proclaim (in the local language) "Thanos killed half your friends and family because you fuck too successfully! Now wrap it up or next time he'll spare your really annoying relatives!"

Or at least snap his fingers and kill a few babies from time to time.
You really think the Chitauri or the Nova Corps or whoever they're planning to sub in for the Shi'ar or Brood would take that as anything other than a request for everyone to come together and go fuck Thanos' shit up? Especially since he broke his gauntlet using it, meaning he's back to using the stones individually, since he liked the people who could have made him another one.

Even if it didn't, 300 years is enough for everyone who remembered Thanos' birth control advice to be dead for several generations. No, him having a hard-on for Death is actually significantly more comprehensible from a character perspective.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 May 2018, 15:23

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 06 May 2018, 15:55

Shem wrote:
06 May 2018, 13:28
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
06 May 2018, 11:48
Shem wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Not really. They've already been planning a major retool for after the next Avengers movie. Almost everyone's contract ends after that, so they're already talking about major changes for Phase 4. All they really need to do to set it up is end with Thanos beaten, and then put the X-Men or the Fantastic Four into the last few minutes of the movie. Then you're either set up for the next stage, or you can ignore it if things don't work out.
Yeah, my initial idea was for a more substantive merger in the next movie, but, sure, they could do a post-credits scene or whatever.

I assume the neo-Avengers will be made up of Ant-Man, Black Panther, Captain Marvel (gotta have some Captain), Dr. Strange, and, depending on how she does, the Wasp. Maybe also Vision and Scarlet Witch.

Deadpool would do entertaining bits on the real reason the universes merged.

I expect deep in some Disney lab, there is a team trying to figure out how to get the Fantastic Four script to work.

Shem

Post by Shem » 06 May 2018, 19:35

They already have 95% of Avengers 4 filmed, so it'd pretty much have to be a teaser thing.

Fantastic Four would be easy. Chuck the origin story, and get the guy who wrote the first National Treasures movie to do the script. The Fantastic Four aren't supposed to be "fuck shit up fam" superheroes, they're supposed to be weird quirky Fantastic Voyage heroes. I mean, they beat Galactus by having a 12-foot-tall baldo guide the Human Torch to Galactus' house in order to Burglary 2 a handgun that could blow the galaxy away, then used it to extort Galactus into agreeing to only feed on planets that lack sentient life. That can work as a movie, but it's really fucking weird, and not the sort of thing you can do if you want to also take yourself seriously.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 16 May 2018, 19:58

Go to 4:30.

--Shem

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 19 May 2018, 22:09

Finally saw Black Panther. If we were real woke white people we would have seen it earlier, I suppose. It was ... fine. I liked that it wasn't an origin story or a "look at my suit's cool powers" movie, as we have had plenty of those, but I don't know how well what it actually was worked for me. Killmonger was an extremely sympathetic villain in many ways, especially his last words, while T'Challa moped around most of the movie (hell, he spent half of it dead!) so it was hard to root for anyone especially. T'Challa didn't have a personality and his sister was a missed opportunity for an interesting character. Give me more about the actual culture and tech of the Wakandans and less virtual reality vehicle driving, please! Really I would rather see a movie about the incredibly hot General Okoye.

It probably also didn't help that we just saw Thor: Ragnarok last week, which I absolutely ADORED, so this paled (no pun intended) (that's racist) in comparison.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Shem

Post by Shem » 20 May 2018, 00:56

Deadpool was good and extremely funny, though I liked the first one better. The Rusty Collins character wasn't very likable, and it was hard for me to care about his subplot as a result. I also get why Reynolds is eager to return to a lower-key style in terms of effects; it did seem a bit lazier than the first one in terms of writing.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 20 May 2018, 15:54

It took me a while to realize why I liked the first Deadpool movie better than Deadpool 2. The humor, starting with the credits, was fresh in the first movie and came as a welcome surprise to most movie fare. The second one was probably as well written, directed, etc., but it no longer surprised. That said, there were lots of good lines and funny moments.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 25 Jun 2018, 00:35

I'm most of the way through Luke Cage season 2. It's fine, pretty slow but more interesting to me than Season 1. But why is Juice -- sorry, Shades -- telling Mariah over and over, "You went too far, you broke the rules, you killed innocent people"? He's the one who was shooting everyone in the restaurant. Unless she was mind-controlling him I don't know why he's acting like she went off the rails without him.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 25 Jun 2018, 22:22

I was extremely disappointed by Season 4 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Robots that look just like people are a TERRIBLE plot device because once you've introduced them, you have no good reason not to have most interactions revolve around them because of how profoundly they change the game. It's the same as the problem with time travel. You can't just throw it in there and then expect to keep having the same show.

But Agents has had some really good seasons, so I was totally ready to forgive them one clunker and see them get back on track. Season 5 dropped on Netflix and I put on Episode 1 ... and I confess I fell asleep almost right away, but not before I had gotten the impression that the characters have been sent to the far future? Guys, I have a bad feeling about this.

dhex

Post by dhex » 25 Jun 2018, 23:09

Has anyone ever uploaded a video to YouTube labeled "black panther best scenes" and its all clips of cops getting shot from the untouchables?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Jun 2018, 23:23

Ellie wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 22:22
I was extremely disappointed by Season 4 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Robots that look just like people are a TERRIBLE plot device because once you've introduced them, you have no good reason not to have most interactions revolve around them because of how profoundly they change the game. It's the same as the problem with time travel. You can't just throw it in there and then expect to keep having the same show.

But Agents has had some really good seasons, so I was totally ready to forgive them one clunker and see them get back on track. Season 5 dropped on Netflix and I put on Episode 1 ... and I confess I fell asleep almost right away, but not before I had gotten the impression that the characters have been sent to the far future? Guys, I have a bad feeling about this.
It's.... there's a lot going on. I'm one or two episodes from the end of the season, and it's... yeah you know how the robots that look like people change the game? And the other thing that you can have a similar problem with? They do kind of manage to have interesting things happen, and Julie Mao gets to kill people with ben wah balls, but it's not their best season. WRT Season 4, I kinda thought the Matrix bit was pretty interesting. Hail Hydra.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 26 Jun 2018, 01:18

Hmm, yeah, I've watched the first two episodes now, and I'm just not feeling it. It's not bad as far as dystopian sci fi goes, but I don't watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. for aliens and spaceships, I watch it for witty banter and multiple Patton Oswalts and people with powers fighting each other.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 26 Jun 2018, 12:22

Ellie wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 01:18
Hmm, yeah, I've watched the first two episodes now, and I'm just not feeling it. It's not bad as far as dystopian sci fi goes, but I don't watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. for aliens and spaceships, I watch it for witty banter and multiple Patton Oswalts and people with powers fighting each other.
Damn, if that's what they have to look forward to, I'm glad we bailed halfway through Season 1. One Patton Oswalt is a sufficiency.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 26 Jun 2018, 17:03

I stopped watching after the third season.

I would probably only ever watch again to facilitate my fantasizing about eatIng Chloe Bennett's asshole.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Jun 2018, 16:22

Ellie wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 01:18
I've watched all of "Agents" to date, but the only reason I slogged through the last couple of seasons is due to a version of the "sunk cost fallacy": I've already stuck with it this far, and don't want the time I spent to have been entirely wasted.

The whole "aliens and spaceships and time travel and we're trapped in the Matrix" stuff specially disappointed me because, IIRC, at first the show was supposed to be a sort of "sociological sci-fi" that picks up where IIRC the first Avengers movie left off: okay, we the members of the human race have just-now discovered that superheroes with physics-defying superpowers are real, and also the ancient Norse gods are real only they're not gods; they're aliens with super-long lifespans and technology millennia more advanced than our own -- so, how do we ordinary humans deal with this? But the show ran off that track several seasons ago.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 27 Jun 2018, 17:00

Agents of Shield immediately went off track because they made HYDRA into just power hungry bad guys. In Winter Soldier they were at least offering something that a type of person would be into (security over freedom). HYDRA was just a low rent version of SPECTRE on the show.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 05 Jul 2018, 22:12

No spoilers for now, but definitely go see "Ant-Man and the Wasp." I think it's one of their very best movies.

Shem

Post by Shem » 12 Jul 2018, 16:17

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 25 Aug 2018, 20:24

So Marvel has officially suspended production of GotG3, which tells me that they have already gone down the list of replacement directors, all of whom mysteriously declined to work with the company whose official policy is to fire people based on the bad faith fauxtrage of alt-right Twitter trolls.

So what are the odds at this point that they a) hire Gunn back, b) find a green director hungry enough to do it, or c) drag this cash cow behind the barn and shoot it?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 25 Aug 2018, 20:38

Speaking of Infinity War and spoilers, now that it's out on DVD, if I've already been spoiled on the ending, is it still worth watching? Are there lots of funny parts and good interactions, or is it pretty much all building up to the ending?