To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lunchstealer

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Aug 2018, 21:56

Hugh Akston wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 20:24
So Marvel has officially suspended production of GotG3, which tells me that they have already gone down the list of replacement directors, all of whom mysteriously declined to work with the company whose official policy is to fire people based on the bad faith fauxtrage of alt-right Twitter trolls.

So what are the odds at this point that they a) hire Gunn back, b) find a green director hungry enough to do it, or c) drag this cash cow behind the barn and shoot it?
A - is the most likely, I think.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jake

Post by Jake » 25 Aug 2018, 23:18

Ellie wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 20:38
Speaking of Infinity War and spoilers, now that it's out on DVD, if I've already been spoiled on the ending, is it still worth watching? Are there lots of funny parts and good interactions, or is it pretty much all building up to the ending?
Still worth watching, I think. The interactions between Thor and the Guardians are worth the price of admission, IMO.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 25 Aug 2018, 23:25

Just rewatched Infinity War. And yes, it's worth watching even if you know the end. In fact, the end is still fairly powerful, even when you see it coming.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 25 Aug 2018, 23:52

Any MCU movie is a worthwhile alternative to real life.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 Aug 2018, 00:00

I am waiting for the crossover where Superman bangs Captain America because Superman has a thing for Truth, Justice and The American Way.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 26 Aug 2018, 04:43

Aresen wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 00:00
I am waiting for the crossover where Superman bangs Captain America because Superman has a thing for Truth, Justice and The American Way.
That'll take another Superman reboot.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 26 Aug 2018, 04:46

Incidentally, I have to admit that I've been amused at all the "Oh no, no spoilers!" and the "oh noes, they really killed off those characters" about Infinity War by some of the more clueless fans out there...given these story beats are 27 years old.

I was a freshman in high school when they did this story the first time around.

And now I feel a little old.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 26 Aug 2018, 14:55

Eric the .5b wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 04:46
Incidentally, I have to admit that I've been amused at all the "Oh no, no spoilers!" and the "oh noes, they really killed off those characters" about Infinity War by some of the more clueless fans out there...given these story beats are 27 years old.

That and they've been doing the "Everybody dies!" bit in comics for decades.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 26 Aug 2018, 18:10

Painboy wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 14:55
Eric the .5b wrote:

(Mind, they do all die, but still. :D)

Yup, but they've been doing jokes about that particular plot point for ages. (An issue of She-Hulk back in the Aughts had Jennifer Walters ask everyone in the courtroom who'd been killed by Thanos to please raise their hand. Half the people do.) I want to say Marvel actually sold "I died in the Infinity Gauntlet Saga" t-shirts in the 90s, but that could have been a third-party novelty.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 26 Aug 2018, 19:20

Eric the .5b wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 18:10
Painboy wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 14:55
Eric the .5b wrote:

(Mind, they do all die, but still. :D)

Yup, but they've been doing jokes about that particular plot point for ages. (An issue of She-Hulk back in the Aughts had Jennifer Walters ask everyone in the courtroom who'd been killed by Thanos to please raise their hand. Half the people do.) I want to say Marvel actually sold "I died in the Infinity Gauntlet Saga" t-shirts in the 90s, but that could have been a third-party novelty.
Reddit actually had a snap event. A bot randomly snapped half of the /thanosdidnothingwrong subscribers. They then created a /inthesoulstone sub thread.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 29 Aug 2018, 00:02

Thanks, guys! I went ahead and tried the movie on your recommendation and I'm really glad I did. Although I'm actually having to watch it in segments because the intensity of it gets to be too much for me. :lol: Also, I know Thanos wants to murder half the universe but does he have to be so mean about it? OMG!

I have just gotten to the part where Star-Lord RUINS EVERYTHING god dammit Quill, I can never like you again now, I hope you know that
Aresen wrote:
Cap's whole shtick is why David is so gay for him. Oh, he'll tell you it's just a philosophical appreciation, but I'm pretty sure he would let Steve Rogers do some filthy, filthy things to him.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 29 Aug 2018, 00:30

Ellie wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 00:02
Aresen wrote:
Cap's whole shtick is why David is so gay for him. Oh, he'll tell you it's just a philosophical appreciation, but I'm pretty sure he would let Steve Rogers do some filthy, filthy things to him.
...in a wholesome, All-American way, of course.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 29 Aug 2018, 15:45

Ellie wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 00:02
Thanks, guys! I went ahead and tried the movie on your recommendation and I'm really glad I did. Although I'm actually having to watch it in segments because the intensity of it gets to be too much for me. :lol: Also, I know Thanos wants to murder half the universe but does he have to be so mean about it? OMG!

I have just gotten to the part where Star-Lord RUINS EVERYTHING god dammit Quill, I can never like you again now, I hope you know that
Aresen wrote:
I mean, really....can you blame him?
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 11 Sep 2018, 19:06

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Shem

Post by Shem » 12 Sep 2018, 09:53

lunchstealer wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 21:56
Hugh Akston wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 20:24
So Marvel has officially suspended production of GotG3, which tells me that they have already gone down the list of replacement directors, all of whom mysteriously declined to work with the company whose official policy is to fire people based on the bad faith fauxtrage of alt-right Twitter trolls.

So what are the odds at this point that they a) hire Gunn back, b) find a green director hungry enough to do it, or c) drag this cash cow behind the barn and shoot it?
A - is the most likely, I think.
Especially since the cast seems to be backing Gunn, and even Disney isn't brazen enough to think they can recast Drax, Starlord and Gamora.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 15 Sep 2018, 01:12

I'm a few episodes in to season 2 of Iron Fist and it's surprisingly decent so far. Danny is not the massively self-centered whining wang he was before. Colleen is particularly well written and acted; she's a tough and principled woman in a way that feels realistic and likeable. (She's also super duper hot which probably helps me like the show more). Ward is an annoying douchebag but I can't tell if the show means for him to be a douche or thinks he's a poor tortured soul. I'm not that interested in fight scenes in general so I haven't paid attention to the fight choreography; not sure if that's gotten better. Anyway, so far, I'm liking it!

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 15 Sep 2018, 19:33

Finally saw Black Panther. It had my attention pretty well til the introduction of Killmonger. Seemed to go downhill story-wise from there. Still pretty entertaining. Smeagol was used pretty well up to the point where he would have lost his usefulness and therefore importance. Story would have been improved with a bit more expounding on M'Baku and the Jabari. Overall I feel it was a solid origin movie. Just a really poor villain. No backstory it felt like. Man of Steel-ish. Somewhere between a 6.5/10 to 7/10.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Sep 2018, 18:15

Ellie wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 01:12
I'm a few episodes in to season 2 of Iron Fist and it's surprisingly decent so far.
About halfway through now and it is SOOOO SLOOOOWWWW OMG.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 06 Oct 2018, 17:28

Just realized I never got around to finishing Season 2 of Iron Fist. It started out so promising but it was just so SLOW and BORING unghhhh. I might circle back at some point, but the only real stakes seemed to be "Will Danny get his powers back?" and I'm confident in predicting that yes, he will. So I don't really feel that invested in actually watching to find out how that happens.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Oct 2018, 17:51

I have a few episodes of Iron Fist season 2 left and I just don't care enough to finish. I'm pretty sure the answer will be that the power comes from within Danny, and the reason he lost it is not that they stole the power but stole his confidence. Call it a hunch.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Oct 2018, 20:01

First few episodes of Daredevil Season 3 are pretty good, but after all the recent Marvel TV letdowns I'm not being too optimistic.

I do enjoy watching Matt get the shit kicked out of himself in every fight, for some sadistic reason. :lol:

On the flip side, even though Fisk is a murdering fuck, I find it hard to watch the FBI agents picking on him.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Oct 2018, 21:04

Hmm, the Dex storyline is already getting tiresome. He's a creep and a stalker. I don't care how sad his upbringing was; his behavior is gross and I don't care what happens to him.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Oct 2018, 21:18

Karen Page's hair is really fantastic. I need to print off a couple screenshots and stick them up on my bathroom mirror for future moments in hair-growing-out-land when I'm tempted to give up and hack it all off.

Her wardrobe is pretty great, too, but I don't think we have the same body type at the moment :lol:

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 27 Oct 2018, 21:22

Ellie wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 20:01
First few episodes of Daredevil Season 3 are pretty good, but after all the recent Marvel TV letdowns I'm not being too optimistic.

I do enjoy watching Matt get the shit kicked out of himself in every fight, for some sadistic reason. :lol:

On the flip side, even though Fisk is a murdering fuck, I find it hard to watch the FBI agents picking on him.
Private Pyle flashbacks?

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Oct 2018, 21:44

I had to Google that reference :oops: :oops: :oops: