YouTubery

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

YouTubery

Post by JasonL » 11 Apr 2016, 10:54

Do you guys watch YouTube channels on the reg? Which ones? I do podcasts and click on links when I see something interesting but I have not subscribed to any youtube channels. I find most of the libertarianish stuff I've seen like Julie Borowski a bit off putting. I mean I get it for intro to concepts and young kidz stuff, but it isn't sophisticated. Am I missing good stuff?

Aresen

Re: YouTubery

Post by Aresen » 11 Apr 2016, 11:04

I subscribe to seven channels. My favorite is a channel called The Great War which is doing a week-by-week history of WW1. Every week, they present the 'war news' from the same week 100 years previously. It's about a month into the Battle of Verdun right now.

They also do special episodes on things like "What did Hitler do in WW1?" or "German Rifles of WW1".
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 11 Apr 2016, 11:15

I subscribe to four channels:

Every Frame a Painting
No Small Parts
Last Week Tonight (which I have reluctantly come around on)
Wired (which releases eleventy thousand videos a week, most of which I ignore)

I'd like to get more nature, history, and science channels. I try to stay away from overtly political/libertarian stuff since that tends to veer pretty quickly into mooselimb invasion/bilderberg conspiracy territory.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 11 Apr 2016, 12:06

JasonL wrote:Do you guys watch YouTube channels on the reg? Which ones? I do podcasts and click on links when I see something interesting but I have not subscribed to any youtube channels. I find most of the libertarianish stuff I've seen like Julie Borowski a bit off putting. I mean I get it for intro to concepts and young kidz stuff, but it isn't sophisticated. Am I missing good stuff?
I mostly subscribe for entertainment, which in my case is debunking creationists/pseudoscience and leftist anti-SJW (cuts out the Alex Jones/alt-right crap). So some of it is not so sophisticated, but it can be fun, and occasionally thoughtful. There are some really nice explainers using debunking as a framework, e.g.:

Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 11 Apr 2016, 14:31

I think I've subscribed to maybe a dozen channels. Half or more are sailing blog channels. Some gaming, some cooking. I tried following some political ones like Julie Borowski, but found her as you did.

The history ones like WWI sound interesting.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Apr 2016, 14:53

I've subscribed to a couple of pure entertainment channels. Cracked, Z_frank, and the guy who did three minute philosophy.

Sent from my Telecommunication Device using Software
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Apr 2016, 15:33

I subscribe to eight channels.
A couple of leather working channels.
A couple media critics
Reason
And a couple by this guy Alex in Minnesota. I particularly like his Agree or Die Podcast. Him and a couple of his friends sit around and talk about whatever for a couple hours every few weeks. What hooked me is sometimes Alex says stuff that I think is obviously trolling. But the beyond the pale stuff is mixed in with reasonable material and I can't tell when he's fucking with me or if he's just stupid. Plus he's got less than a hundred subscribers so I can fully engage in the comment section.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 11 Apr 2016, 22:05

I'm subscribed to Last Week Tonight, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, the NIMBioS (National Institute for Math /Biology Synthesis, which I freely admit I have not watched a single video from, I need a bigger screen than my phone & time & peace & energy to concentrate on the lectures) channel, David Mitchell's Soapbox, Ze Frank / True Facts, Adam Ruins Everything (College Humor channel, I guess. Our possibly TruTV? I'm going to have to delete some of these, I don't remember subscribing.), Thompson Reuters Web of Science training (haven't watched ant of these, either), Ted Cruz for Senate (no idea why or how that happened) and someone's playlist of mostly Jeselnik videos.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Apr 2016, 20:59

Let's see, what do I subscribe to that actually updates...

2rgames, two Swedish guys playing video games. Among other things, they're seemingly the only people making worthwhile videos for the game Unturned. They do coverage of the updates and amusing "roleplay" videos where they play as cops or bandits in the post-apocalyptic North. Their Who's Your Daddy sessions are strange, hilarious things, even for that game.

BalconyTV, a worldwide network of venues having indie bands playing on balconies or rooftops. Updates multiple times a day, and you never know what you will get—a band rocking out in northern Italy, a bawdy female singer in Nashville, a groovy act in Japan, a guy beatboxing with paragliders wheeling over the Alps behind him, etc. The performances are almost always competent, but the acts are varied enough to hit different tastes differently. (The audio work is also uniformly fantastic.)

purplepolecat, an anime fan who mostly posts very well-done AMVs and movie trailers that she edits. I once posted her video for Ladytron's "High Rise", here. There are quite a few other excellent ones, going back eight years; it'd be easier to list the ones I don't think are great. Very irregular schedule of posts, sometimes with months between them, but that's how it goes.

Small Screen Drinks, a sort of network of YouTube shows about mixology. Interesting stuff, if you like cocktails (or in the case of Jeffrey Morgenthaler, entertaining bar stories and cocktails). Often some blatant product placement, sometimes open sponsorship, but the shows are also well-produced.

Primitive Technology, an Australian guy (who I suspect is an engineer, judging by his video descriptions) who silently makes everything from slings to under-floor heated tile-roofed huts using nothing more than what he can grab in the forest.

Wax Audio, someone who does the absolute best musical mashups I've ever heard.

Auralnauts, which is edited and re-dubbed humor stuff. Their Star Wars series is absolutely hilarious in a demented way. ("What are 'midichorians'?" "It's heroin.")

I also have a number of subscriptions to bands or performers' channels, but that completely depends on the bands one likes.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Sep 2016, 20:25

Just discovered History Buffs.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCggHoX ... iPmOxezeWA
Guy reviews big Hollywood movies about historical things.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 30 Sep 2016, 21:56

Warren wrote:Just discovered History Buffs.
Nice.

This one is also pretty good. He deals mostly with historical European arms and techniques (HEMA), but he also has videos like this where he critiques certain films or shows about the weapons and equipment used on the show. He's not super picky about stuff, and like the guy you linked to, he understands that sacrifices have to be made for a watchable show. He seems to have a good knowledge base as he both knows the research and has actually experience swinging the various weapons around.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 01 Oct 2016, 14:14

Warren wrote:Just discovered History Buffs.
Yes. I should have mentioned that one before. Great channel. I am particularly fond of the way he vivisects Mel Gibson.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Oct 2016, 06:07

I've been enjoying a couple channels from the "MRE reviews community". They're people who review various military pre-prepared foods, either various packets from around the world or...historical meals. It's just weirdly fascinating. (And it's one of the most gracious hobby cliques I've come across, with reviewers sending each other rare finds and behaving with no visible drama that I've come across.)

RC Gusto reviews various generally-modern foods from different countries. He's a relaxed, mild-mannered, meticulous sort of guy. The riskiest thing he's tried is the old Four Fingers of Death, sent to him the next reviewer. He boiled all Hell out of those, and I don't blame him.

Steve1989 reviews mostly historical MREs, and most of those American. And by historical, I mean 1990s, 80s, 70s, 60, 50s, and even 1940s...and once, CIvil War hardtack. Unless something is undoubtedly pathogenic (bulging container, moldy instant coffee, etc.) he will try to eat it. And for him, it's not "take a tiny bite and declare awful", it's "take a bite, chew thoughtfully while making 'hmm' noises, describe in detail how it tastes awful, take another bite". And even in the couple of episodes where the stuff was so bad he said, "Why am I doing this?!", he remains relentlessly cheerful and enthusiastic. And when the old canned liferaft ration is in pristine shape, or the food is actually edible after decades, it's especially fascinating.

(One warning for those averse to cigarette use—he delights in trying out the coffin nails from pre-1972 American rations.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 03 Oct 2016, 11:53

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ibP5IQxId34

For Jasper (or any other wannabe vagabonds)
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 03 Oct 2016, 13:47

Cheers!
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 21 Oct 2016, 11:49

Family buys a missile silo

Make it Extreme
A guy makes cool things from scratch
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Oct 2016, 00:47

I've recently fallen in love with vlogger Unnatural Vegan. Even for non-vegans, there's a lot to like about her. She's very scientifically minded, pro-GMO, and spends a lot of time tackling the stupidity of other vegan YouTubers, even though it seems to draw a lot of idiot comments every time. Plus she's cute as hell.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJBry7T2R1WeipWMBWKJ7Rg
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Dec 2016, 21:23

Ellie wrote:I've recently fallen in love with vlogger Unnatural Vegan. Even for non-vegans, there's a lot to like about her. She's very scientifically minded, pro-GMO, and spends a lot of time tackling the stupidity of other vegan YouTubers, even though it seems to draw a lot of idiot comments every time. Plus she's cute as hell.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJBry7T2R1WeipWMBWKJ7Rg
She might have a leg up on nutrition, but she proudly carries the head-up-ass flag of veganism when it comes to stupid environmentalism.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 03 Nov 2017, 05:28

A thoughtful YouTuber/culture critic looks at masculinity and its antagonists.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 03 Nov 2017, 11:33

Maybe this is bigoted, but I find the guy's accent too distracting. I can't pay attention.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 03 Nov 2017, 13:33

thoreau wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 11:33
Maybe this is bigoted, but I find the guy's accent too distracting. I can't pay attention.
Anti-semite! It's OK, that's not a problem anymore unless you voted for Trump.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 03 Nov 2017, 14:15

From jumping around a bit, that guy seems like a poo-flinging nut. The longest bit I watched had him complaining about action movies where women kick a dude's ass (despite being not super powered), accepting it in one of the Marvel movies with Black Widow, because that movie is supposed to be over the top, but not accepting it in some Angelina Jolie movie and being really put off by that Kirsten Stewart movie where she plays Snow White but is also a badass warrior somehow.

Okay.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex