It's all good man!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: It's all good man!

Post by JasonL » 13 Aug 2018, 15:52

I think this is a process of revealing Saul not transforming into him. Jimmy is a bad person. If anything goes a way he doesn't like he'll burn it all down and looks immediately for someone else to blame. His delight seemed a quick turn to me as well, but really what do you expect at this point. He's a child who found out he won't be grounded because his sister is taking the fall.

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Aug 2018, 01:46

JasonL wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 15:52
I think this is a process of revealing Saul not transforming into him. Jimmy is a bad person. If anything goes a way he doesn't like he'll burn it all down and looks immediately for someone else to blame. His delight seemed a quick turn to me as well, but really what do you expect at this point. He's a child who found out he won't be grounded because his sister is taking the fall.
You think? What do you make of his job search. Or should I say "job search"?
Kim's outburst at Howard really hit me. That was a hell of a scene.
The last scene with Nacho and Arturo getting jumped was really disturbing. Up till now really visceral violence has been off screen. I expect there's only going to be more of that and I really don't enjoy that.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Sep 2018, 20:59

Damn this show keeps getting better and better. You'd think having to conform to BB would constrain the story, but nope.
Favorite lines from this week:

Chuck: Served on platters, that's right. Thanks Jimmy.

Howard: I hate to interrupt but there's a Mr. Bushmillls waiting in my office.

Rich Schweikart: Well we have some banking work, but I wouldn't say we have a division.
Kim: Would you like one?

Mike: You build out a stocked bar, beer on tap. I mean they're Germans so...

Jimmy: I've got a pressing need only five thousand dollars will cure.

Howard: Fuck you Jimmy!
Jimmy: There you go. Use that.

Saul: You get one warning. And that, was it.

Also, Gus' fable to the comatose Hector was one of the great villain monologues of all time.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Sep 2018, 17:22

I've been musing over Jimmy and Kim's inevitable breakup for some time. This week looked like it was just going to happen. They grew apart as we knew they must. But then Jimmy comes to her in full Saul mode and she takes the case to save him from himself. Right up to the last line where she's going above and beyond. At some point doesn't she have to accept that he's toxic and no good will come of associating with him? Shouldn't that point have been when she learned he was dealing burners to street people, if not before?

I'm looking at a potential plot hole. We know Saul will be a practicing lawyer in New Mexico. Much has been made over a condition of Jimmy's probation is he's forbidden from associating with known criminals. But now he's on record as hiring one for security and all but abetting several others.

Gus is a suuuuuper villain.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Sep 2018, 22:26

Holy crap. I did not see Kim going to the dark side until the moment she planted that one on Jimmy. Totally buy it. Completely fits the story thus far. Explains a lot actually. But it begs the question, if Kim is wearing the ring of power, where does she go? Prison?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Oct 2018, 15:46

So am I the only one that's still wrapped up in this show? There's a fuckton of analysis I'd like to talk about, but not if no one else is interested.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 21 Oct 2018, 14:28

Warren wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 15:46
So am I the only one that's still wrapped up in this show? There's a fuckton of analysis I'd like to talk about, but not if no one else is interested.
I'm behind. I still haven't watched S3. I think it's a great show, but it's almost too much at times. Not too much gratuitous violence or darkness or ridiculousness like Breaking Bad. More like too much right in the feels.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Oct 2018, 22:56

Andrew wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 14:28
Warren wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 15:46
I'm behind. I still haven't watched S3. I think it's a great show, but it's almost too much at times. Not too much gratuitous violence or darkness or ridiculousness like Breaking Bad. More like too much right in the feels.
If season 2 was almost too much, season 3 will be much too much for you.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 22 Oct 2018, 10:39

I finished S3. I dunno. I'm on the fence about continuing. They are dragging out the primary relationship too long and I kinda feel like they are just making Kim a mirror for Saul without giving her any core. I found her continued turn toward the end not believable. I don't know after so many revelations about Saul being a detestable baby how you have the "but I really thought this time" moments she keeps having and driving right through. Also, the primary character is a detestable baby. There is nothing to latch onto. I root for his ruin but the way they tell the stories I feel like they are thinking I'm still supposed to be conflicted.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 22 Oct 2018, 15:03

I lost interest. Then again, I was never a Breaking Bad fan. A show about Saul Goodman's hilarious legal shenanigans might be worth watching, but the paint drying / grass growing paced human interest odyssey that got him there ceased to hold my attention somewhere in the second season.

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Feb 2019, 21:46

I've been meaning to get back here. Sorry for soliciting comments and then bailing. Life happens.
Anyway, I've been trying to organize all my thoughts. And there's just too much. I've decided I'm going to try to recap all of last season episode by episode, with my commentary. I'll make an effort to talk about the show and avoid spoilers, but inevitably some must leak through.
Last edited by Warren on 11 Feb 2019, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Feb 2019, 21:52

1 Smoke

Cold opens with Gene in Omaha (in black and white), as does every season so far. This is post Breaking Bad. Increasingly we see Gene concerned that Saul is about to catch up with him. The worry keeps him at the Cinnabon and his demons dormant. The story telling here is excellent. It unfolds step by step, with no hurry, and no musical cues, which only seems to serve to make the tension that much more intense.

Post credits we pick up in the wake of Chucks demise. I found the effect of cinders lighting on slumbering Jimmy confusing. I'm sure it's packed with symbolism, though I didn't bother to unpack it. This is the first of what I'm sure will be many mentions of how much I love the way they score this show. In this case the music over the coffee and job search montage.

In the wake of her accident Kim and Jimmy are at their closest as he is only too ready, willing, and able to nurse and life-coach her back on her feet by way of showing his affection. Kim accepts with fitting appreciation. Howard's call changes everything.

Mike's deal with Gus makes his own domestic bliss possible, as he now has the time and money to lavish on his grand-daughter. His daughter-in-law accepts with fitting appreciation. He could just take the money and run, but that's not his way.

Jimmy is despondent, almost beyond speech. The tequila enters the scene, but this time the backstory baggage is irrelevant. All that matters is it's the tequila. There's no exposition here, we're left to ponder the particulars of how Chuck's death hit Jimmy so hard.

Nacho has only to dispose of the fake pills and his hands are clean. He's called to meet with Don Eladio. He is tasked with supervising the Salamanca territory while Hector recuperates. He's told that if he does well it will not go unnoticed. That it will not go unnoticed if he does not, needs not be said. And I'm really digging the dialog (though perhaps the English subtitles could be better), the location, the lighting, and the camera frames. The post script between Eladio and Gus is unremarkable at this time. Only later will we appreciate Gus' four dimensional chess prowess in this scene. Nacho washes his hands. It does not go unnoticed.

Now we're with someone we don't know, and again the show is in no hurry to tell us what his role in the story is. But we do get to know him a bit. He has a special needs son that he cares for as only a father could. His car is dead and he's going to miss his morning meeting. It seems he's missing something else as well.

Mike is on a mission, though it's not clear what. I especially like the break-room scene, quintessential Mike. I do feel cheated though. He just showed up with his pilfered pass and we didn't get to see him going through the motions of the pilfering as I've grown accustom too.

Back with Jimmy. He is inconsolable as he grieves his way through the funeral. Howard awaits Kim and Jimmy at their place. Jimmy is still beyond words. Then in an instant, as Howard confesses his guilt, Jimmy dumps his on top. And he is well rid of it, feeding the goldfish and whistling while making coffee. What the hell just happened here? My best theory is that learning that it was him alerting the insurance that drove Chuck over the edge amounts to, Game Over - Jimmy Wins. In the end, and forevermore, he came out on top of Chuck.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Feb 2019, 23:42

2 Breath

The cold open is great. BCS does "show not tell" better than anyone. At first we don't know what we're seeing. Then when we figure out what's going on, we don't understand why. We soon find out as Gus gets the news. Gus vs Hector is one of the main plots running through the show. We know how it ends, but now we're seeing how far Gus had to go to get that ending, and only that ending.

Kim and Jimmy's back and forth over breakfast reveals much between the lines. Kim is treading lightly not wanting to aggravate the still raw Chuck wound. But Chuck is dead and buried and Jimmy wants to return to cementing the relationship.

Nacho needs to talk to his father. Not very much is said, but the way it's not said speaks volumes. Their relationship is simultaneously intimate and distant. It's heartbreaking to watch the scene unfold. The rhythm, the beats, beautiful storytelling.

Jimmy's losing his hair but not his mojo. He sells himself interviewing for a sales job. "We'll let you know" and he's out the door... no wait. He goes back in and turns it up to 11. And it pays off. But then he tells them where to stick it. And this is our WTF? for the week. My theory for this one is: Slipping Jimmy can't take the job because he needs to be completely unassociated with the place. But why the hard sell encore? I think it was to convince himself that he's still got it.

Mike is making the most of his freedom until Lydia interrupts. And I just have to tip my hat to the location of the meet. Money talks and Lydia expects to be heard. Later, she goes crying to Gus and a pecking order is established.

Oh hi there. It's the cousins. Also Hector's recovery gets and upgrade. Nacho and Arturo talk to Hector. The cousins do the listening.

Tyrus is keeping an eye on Hector for Gus. He delivers Gus a manilla envelope. Gus is reading the contents, we can't make out what it is, but I think I figured it out. Put a pin in that.

Kim shows up at Howard's office. He's handling Chucks will. Rebeca is there. I like her, hope we get to see her again. Perhaps in flashbacks as the marriage goes south. Anywho, THIS is THE scene for the week. WOW. Hat's off to Rhea Seehorn's acting chops. That was some diatribe. In fact, I'm going to watch it again. Talk amongst yourselves...

Seems Kim got herself a little worked up, and well all that passion has to go somewhere, so as White Heat intros on Turner Classic Movies, she jumps on Jimmy. Still sporting the cast btw.

As they drift off to sleep, Slipping Jimmy formulates a plan.

Nacho and Arturo are going to pick up the Salamanca share of the latest shipment. It doesn't go well. I have to say this is perhaps the most viscerally disturbing thing I've ever seen on television. And I don't like watching it. No sir, I don't like it one bit. Gus tells Nacho "I know what you've done". On my first viewing, I was incredulous. He did that on too few clues to be that confident. But now I think I know how he knows. The report Tyrus handed him contained Hectors initial blood analysis showing an absence of Nitroglycerin, and an even more conspicuous presence of Ibuprofen.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Feb 2019, 21:19

3 Something Beautiful.

Gus is playing 4D chess and Nacho is the pawn. Dear Zod this show has gotten violent. I understand, that's to be expected in the drug trade, but I'm hoping this level of violence is only temporary.

Slipping Jimmy has a sweet deal for Mike. It's delightful hearing him lay it all out. He's still got it. Only he doesn't get it. It's details like the waitress in this scene that take the writing up a full grade point.

The cousin's accept the gambit offered by Gus.

Kim is back in the saddle with Mesa Verde. And now she's got a sidekick. But even with backup she nearly swoons at the sight of Kevin's Big Banking Boner.

After striking out with Mike, Jimmy has a sick fish. But when the Vet can't real in the fish, he picks up the mic and freestyles his way across the finish line. Yeah, he's still got it.

The Vet might be smarting from getting his toes stepped on, but his day is about to get way more stressful when the cousins show up. The Vet stitches Humpty Dumpty back together again, and declares "This cartel shit is too hot for me". I wonder if that's going to work out for him?

Slipping Jimmy sends Ira to pick up the easy money, and it's as easy as, one, two, son of a bitch. Jimmy needs to unfuck the job. Nice long extended sequence full of wonderful details that are only relevant to what's happening now.

Gus is playing 4D chess and Gale is the knight. Gale channels Tom Lehrer, and he's very very Gale at it. Which is to say, quite good and yet a bit silly at the same time.

And now we come to THE SCENE for the week. With trepidation, Kim delivers Chuck's letter from beyond the grave. Jimmy reads it over his Cheerios. You have to see this to fully appreciate it. The thoughts, hopes, and emotions of three people are on display, and it's all in the delivery. One thing, there's speculation, and disagreement, on the internet as to how this should be interpreted vis a vis Chuck's true feelings and it is clear to me. Chuck wrote the letter while Jimmy was still working in the mail room. The sentiment expressed is a manifestation of his relative superiority to his brother at the time it was written. When Kim choses not to hug it out, Jimmy feels her slipping away.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT