It's all good man!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

It's all good man!

Post by Warren » 14 Mar 2016, 23:41

Better Call Saul is IMHO the best show currently in production. Certainly deserving of its own thread at any rate.

I like the flashback scene of dinner with Chuck's wife. I hope that was in service of something. Season one gives me confidence that it is. I'm eager to find out what happened to her.

The episode endings are too well executed hangers. I hate the way they leave it every week with me wanting more. This show would be better marathonned, but I CAN'T WAIT THAT LONG.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Re: It's all good man!

Post by Andrew » 15 Mar 2016, 08:00

I've only seen season 1, but I was really impressed. Bob Odenkirk is probably even better at dramatic acting than he is at comedy, and that's saying something. My only complaint is that it's making me like the characters way too much, so their eventual destruction by Walter White gives me a sad.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 16 Mar 2016, 15:21

They are really good. They already told us what happens to Jimmy - he ends up managing a Cinnabon shop in the mall. It makes you want to find out how and why he gets there.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 23 Mar 2016, 10:23

Old man has balls - big brass ones.

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Mar 2016, 23:42

Pre-teen Jimmy perusing Playboy brings back the memories. But overall I don't think the flashback to his father's convenience store sequence served anything. We already know what makes Jimmy tick and we got the story already from Chuck expositing it to Kim. Speaking of Chuck, whatever became of his wife. She appeared without warning and now seems to have disappeared on the same gust of wind.

Kim's proposal that they work together but not together, has layers. And from the look on his face, Jimmy knows it. Poor guy.

Mike stepping across lines to provide for his family is a good arc. But Mike is a smart guy, he must have thought this through. He knows where this leads and I'm not seeing how he's insulating his daughter in-law and granddaughter from the fallout. I think that's kind of a big plot hole.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 29 Mar 2016, 00:22

I haven't watched the last two episodes and, frankly, might not. The show makes me cringe. It's half Greek tragedy / half Film Noir, though whether you think where "Saul" ends up by Breaking Bad is a sort of tragic doom depends on what you think of Jimmy. As anti-heroes go, he's a pretty likeable guy.

Anyway, a point or two on the dubious verisimilitude of Chuck and his firm. I was never an associate in a large law firm, let alone a partner, but I've known dozens and dozens from law school graduation to, now, approaching retirement after years of being partners. Off hand, I'd say the chances of Chuck still being an active partner with his "office ready whenever" he wants it are next to zero. The name might stay on the door, but -- and this gets especially ironic when Chuck is wringing his hands about appearances issues -- Chuck's "disorder" is a hell of a lot more risky to the firm's reputation than Jimmy's shenanigans. (Well, those known about by both firms / partners, anyway.) I don't see it. I see Chuck being put out to pasture "for the good of the firm," and there are always provisions in partnerships that provide for such exigencies and that wouldn't involve handing Chuck ten or twenty million dollars. A "structured" settlement agreement is either already in place or he would be forced to accept one.

Also, a minor point, but a senior partner in a large law firm, even in New Mexico, wouldn't live in a Leave It To Beaver house. If his share of the firm is anywhere close to, what, $17m? he's got a nicer place on a bigger lot even if his home security system is a guard at the gate and a couple of dogs.

Finally, were I Jimmy, I'd have, well, let's just say "taken care of" Chuck after he finally discovers what a son of a bitch he's been to Jimmy. Here, too, filial loyalty has its limits and Chuck has destroyed any shred of a reason why Jimmy should give a rat's ass what happens to him. (At the very least, when asked to remove his phone, etc., anywhere other than the firm's offices or Chuck's house, he should tell Chuck to go fuck himself.)

So, who knows, maybe I'll binge watch it when it shows up on Netflix.

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Mar 2016, 09:34

D.A. Ridgely wrote:Anyway, a point or two on the dubious verisimilitude of Chuck and his firm. I was never an associate in a large law firm, let alone a partner, but I've known dozens and dozens from law school graduation to, now, approaching retirement after years of being partners. Off hand, I'd say the chances of Chuck still being an active partner with his "office ready whenever" he wants it are next to zero. The name might stay on the door, but -- and this gets especially ironic when Chuck is wringing his hands about appearances issues -- Chuck's "disorder" is a hell of a lot more risky to the firm's reputation than Jimmy's shenanigans. (Well, those known about by both firms / partners, anyway.) I don't see it.
I'm sure you are right.
I see Chuck being put out to pasture "for the good of the firm," and there are always provisions in partnerships that provide for such exigencies and that wouldn't involve handing Chuck ten or twenty million dollars. A "structured" settlement agreement is either already in place or he would be forced to accept one.
I'm not so sure.
Also, a minor point, but a senior partner in a large law firm, even in New Mexico, wouldn't live in a Leave It To Beaver house. If his share of the firm is anywhere close to, what, $17m? he's got a nicer place on a bigger lot even if his home security system is a guard at the gate and a couple of dogs.
Meh.
Finally, were I Jimmy, I'd have, well, let's just say "taken care of" Chuck after he finally discovers what a son of a bitch he's been to Jimmy. Here, too, filial loyalty has its limits and Chuck has destroyed any shred of a reason why Jimmy should give a rat's ass what happens to him.
I've known a lot of brothers that don't speak to each other but would still donate a kidney. Family is complicated.
(At the very least, when asked to remove his phone, etc., anywhere other than the firm's offices or Chuck's house, he should tell Chuck to go fuck himself.)
Maybe, maybe not.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 29 Mar 2016, 10:06

They are losing me a bit in season 2 as I feel like we took 3 steps backward from the end of last season so we could relive more of the same essential tensions. I like the Kim character quite a bit, but overall I watch for the Mike arc.

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 06 Apr 2016, 09:21

Changing the numerical address will hurt HHM and Chuck only slightly. Someone like Ernesto will take the fall for it.

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Apr 2016, 09:34

pistoffnick wrote:Changing the numerical address will hurt HHM and Chuck only slightly. Someone like Ernesto will take the fall for it.
Yeah, I'm not sure how that's going to play out. But it's becoming formulaic in that Jimmy is trying to help Kim in ways she will resent him for.
Howard is more interesting. First he was despicable bad guy, then he was good guy that fell on his sword, then he was asshole boss, and now he's manipulating bad guy. He led Chuck to believe Jimmy and Kim were partners.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Apr 2016, 23:52

They're going to wrap up the season next week. I liked this week's episode "Nailed". It drew me into both Mike and Jimmy's stories. They're tied together by a common thread of unintended victims (The good Samaritan that cut loose the truck driver, and Chuck hitting his head).

Kim's relationship with Jimmy is more convoluted than I gave it credit for. I really enjoyed the scene where she delivers her rebuttal to Chuck. Then latter, the pillow talk with Jimmy tells us even more.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Apr 2016, 12:13

I'm disappointed. This season didn't deliver a defined arc, it just churned. Everybody is more or less in the same position they were at the beginning (except Kim).
As to the way they ended it, I don't see what use Chuck will get out of his tape recording. Who's he going to play it for? A court of law? Even if it were admissible, it's not like Jimmy was under oath at the time. Maybe the bank clients? What does that buy him? Maybe they drop Kim, but they damn sure wouldn't return to HHM. It's just a big "Yeah, so?"
I am far more interested in who left the note for Mike, and why. Gustavo Fring maybe?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 27 Apr 2016, 12:47

We watched the first two episodes last night. I was impressed enough to buy the season.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Apr 2016, 16:29

JD wrote:We watched the first two episodes last night. I was impressed enough to buy the season.
Which one?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 27 Apr 2016, 16:43

Warren wrote:
JD wrote:We watched the first two episodes last night. I was impressed enough to buy the season.
Which one?
Which season, you mean? The first.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Apr 2016, 16:56

You'll like it. The first one is really strong. The second season isn't as good, but I predict you'll want to watch it off the strength of the first one. And it's not bad, just not as tight as the first.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 09 Apr 2017, 20:47

Bump cause it's almost back!
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Apr 2017, 01:57

Um yeah okay, where the fuck did we leave off? Is Squiggy still a shut-in? What's up with Mike and the Mexicans? And most importantly, is Jimmy banging Kim in the back room of the nail salon?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Apr 2017, 12:52

Can't decide if I still care. Watched ep1 of the new season. I like the Mike stuff

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 12 Apr 2017, 13:49

I thought ep01 was very good, but mostly on the strength of that clever bastard, Mike Ermantrout.

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Apr 2017, 14:09

I agree, the Mike stuff paid off. But it dragged on too long without any dialogue. I was pretty bored with it by "Call me a cab".
Any guesses on what plans David St. Hubbins has for the tape?

ETA
I think the writers/show runners are lurkin the Gryll
Warren wrote:I don't see what use Chuck will get out of his tape recording. Who's he going to play it for? A court of law? Even if it were admissible, it's not like Jimmy was under oath at the time. Maybe the bank clients? What does that buy him? Maybe they drop Kim, but they damn sure wouldn't return to HHM. It's just a big "Yeah, so?"
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 18 Apr 2017, 11:22

Poor Ernesto!

Haha.

So, convincing or ridiculous?

As soon as Kim said we'll have to wait and see what Chuck's next move is before we can do anything, I knew (maybe everybody did) that Jimmy wouldn't be able to wait and would have to Do Something. So that part seems fairly plausible, maybe even predictable.

Getting Ernesto to so reliably do the correct unwitting bidding was certainly a stretch of course, but maybe not too much of one, I don't think any more so than a lot of plot twists in this double series. And where would drama be without some stretches? A ghost appears to tell the protagonist that his father the king was murdered??? Go on!! For me, anyway, the Ernesto thing didn't feel like a ridiculous contrivance as I was watching it. Only afterwards did I think, hmmm, yeah.... Kinda raises the whole question of what standards of believability a drama need adhere to, one that's objectively absurd or one that's only subjectively so, one that brings you along with the plot aside from its real life plausibility upon examination. (Of course the former would kill most sci-fi and pretty much all supernatural horror, so....)

Anyway, still an enjoyable watch for me. What future is there for a lawyer who's "kind of crooked"? Haha....

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Apr 2017, 12:02

fyodor wrote:Getting Ernesto to so reliably do the correct unwitting bidding was certainly a stretch of course, but maybe not too much of one, I don't think any more so than a lot of plot twists in this double series. And where would drama be without some stretches?
Just for context. Ernesto lied to Chuck about calling Jimmy when he hit his head at the copy shop. I don't remember the word for word of Jimmy's confession, but I think it likely that Chuck at least suspects him. The bigger problem for me, is how much mileage can they get out of Jimmy breaking in, shouting, and destroying the tape. It's a minor domestic disturbance at best. Though from the "scenes from next week" it would appear that Chuck is able to have Jimmy arrested and taken into custody. I won't accept anything more than a small fine and a restraining order as consequence. This week it was looking like he was losing Kim. But it looks like his instinct for self destruction is actually what holds her to him.

Best part this week was the very last scene. Mike picks the phone off the road, flips it open, and says "Yeah".
I'll feel cheated if we don't get to hear that conversation. Two very dangerous people that don't know each other, saying "I'm smart enough not to underestimate you."

I'm pissed that Chuck's wife is an aborted arc. And not for nothing, but the show is called "better call Saul". Jimmy needs to change his name this season I think.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 18 Apr 2017, 16:15

Warren wrote:
fyodor wrote:Getting Ernesto to so reliably do the correct unwitting bidding was certainly a stretch of course, but maybe not too much of one, I don't think any more so than a lot of plot twists in this double series. And where would drama be without some stretches?
Just for context. Ernesto lied to Chuck about calling Jimmy when he hit his head at the copy shop. I don't remember the word for word of Jimmy's confession, but I think it likely that Chuck at least suspects him.
One annoying thing for me about the show is that because there's so few episodes, last year is a long time ago and thus not so easy to remember.

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Apr 2017, 17:57

fyodor wrote:
Warren wrote:
Just for context. Ernesto lied to Chuck about calling Jimmy when he hit his head at the copy shop. I don't remember the word for word of Jimmy's confession, but I think it likely that Chuck at least suspects him.
One annoying thing for me about the show is that because there's so few episodes, last year is a long time ago and thus not so easy to remember.
Agree. It's an annoying thing about a lot of shows. I'm not saying we need to go back to 23 episodes every year. But if you're only doing sub 15 episode seasons, don't be taking 12 month hiatuses between them.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT