Bryan Fuller is not the Star Trek showrunner

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
the innominate one

Re: Bryan Fuller is not the Star Trek showrunner

Post by the innominate one » 06 Nov 2017, 07:54

They're performing an experiment to see how many trekkies will continue to watch a show called Trek regardless of story quality, character quality or disruption of canonical show history.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Nov 2017, 10:02

the innominate one wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 07:54
They're performing an experiment to see how many trekkies will continue to watch a show called Trek regardless of story quality, character quality or disruption of canonical show history.
You mean they're trying to replicate the results of Enterprise?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 13 Nov 2017, 05:09

S01E09:

That was a pretty good military sci-fi episode, but it had 10 minutes or so of lag at the end, and an unsatisfying conclusion.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Nov 2017, 12:36

The latest episode of the Orville was pretty good but, as with the episode about the future time traveler who kidnaps/snatches people from her past/our present just before they were destined to die anyway, they left what could have been a FASCINATING moral debate there on the table. Basically: when that blue alien species goes into heat, it secretes a pheromone that essentially causes irresistible feelings of love/horniness in anybody it comes in contact with; meaning, if I personally have any of this chemical on me (despite not even being of that species), ANY LIVING BEING I touch and put that chemical onto will fall hopelessly in love/lust with me (and I presumably will return the emotion), even if my gender or my very species is one you ordinarily would not want sexually.

Seriously -- if you're imagining some future Federation-type group with multiple species all trying to live together in harmony -- this is a HUGE legal can of worms. This is like a date-rape drug only a thousand times worse.

The episode ends with the revelation that the blue alien was also in heat/secreting the lust hormone when Captain Seth MacFarlane's wife cheated on her husband to have sex with said blue creature.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 13 Nov 2017, 18:31

dbcooper wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 05:09
S01E09:

That was a pretty good military sci-fi episode, but it had 10 minutes or so of lag at the end, and an unsatisfying conclusion.
Agreed. Of course, it was supposed to be a cliff-hanger, but I don't see anyone with bated breath (he said, stringing up metaphors) until January.