Art and art-like things

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Art and art-like things

Post by JD » 28 Jul 2010, 12:24

It occurs to me that we haven't had a thread about the visual arts (other than our own photography) on the new Grylliade. So I'll kick things off by pointing people to http://misha-
art.com
Misha is a FOAF who does a lot of funny high/low culture mashups like "Our Lady of the Arcade":
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Hugh Akston

Re: Art and art-like things

Post by Hugh Akston » 28 Jul 2010, 13:54

Reminds me a bit of Ursula Vernon. She has a steampunk aesthetic sensibility, but doesn't go full retard on it. She also does quite a few anthro pieces, but thankfully without the creepy sexual overtones that dominate the genre. She's quite talented in a range of media. She mostly does acrylic paintings, but dabbles in watercolors, charcoals, and weird dimensional pieces like this:

She's got a charming sense of humor abut her art.

http://www.redwombatstudio.com/wpg2
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Jul 2010, 14:24

I, too, love Ursula Vernon. She does some really cute stuff: e.g. The Smallrus and Very Minor Demon. And also lots of hilariously, yet artistically, phallic scenes.

I like Matthew Woodson (gallery of some prints) even though he has a really annoying tendency to join art sites or start blogs and then delete everything so it's hard to keep track of his stuff and all the artwork I loved best has disappeared from the internets.

Also Matt Rhodes (art blog, warning, some nude sketches) who is just disgustingly skilled at scope and depth and landscapes and color and just everything, grr.

I love Emily Shur's portrait photography; it's very commercial, but also fun and frequently clever. (online portfolio)

Margo Quan Knight's installations and other stuff is really lovely in an unusual way: Mirror Projects.

Alison Brady's photography is weird as heck, but I like it anyway. (web page, no images on that page but NSFW nudes elsewhere on her site)

Finally, I'm not particularly moved by Elise Mattheson's jewelry qua jewelry (it's good, don't get me wrong, I just don't gravitate towards the art form) but she has the best titles of about anybody anywhere for anything: e.g. "The Waters of Twilight are Endless" and "The Post-Colonial Literature of Elves: Elfin Captivity Narratives Revisited".
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 28 Jul 2010, 14:42

Ellie, I have long harbored an odd mental association between you and Ursula Vernon (and Mirah, for some reason). It is nice to see that vindicated.

I also like Lois van Baarle (possibly NSFW), who works almost exclusively in Photoshop. She has a dreamy watercolor vibe, but can sometimes be very realistic.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Jul 2010, 14:45

Hugh Akston wrote:Ellie, I have long harbored an odd mental association between you and Ursula Vernon (and Mirah, for some reason). It is nice to see that vindicated.
I'm sure I cooed over the Smallrus on Grylliade 1.0 or 2.0. That might be it. I also read Miss Vernon's LJ and covet all her boots.

Mirah, I have never heard of.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 28 Jul 2010, 14:47

Ursula's cool (and even did a guest -host spot on Operation BSU with us). I have her "Taxman" piece (http://goo.gl/lYm0) waiting for a frame that the cats can't knock down.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 12 Jun 2016, 18:35

Some interesting looking stuff here, though a bit repetitive.

http://phillipkremer.tumblr.com/

I like this take on der Trumpinator.

Might be improved by replacing the ears in the same manner as the eyes.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 22 Jun 2016, 17:37

Some really cool examples of 70s sci-fi art. It really was it's own genre.

Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 22 Jun 2016, 17:43

Here's one to warm libertarian hearts:

Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 22 Jun 2016, 19:07

Not if it's not visible.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 22 Jun 2016, 19:10

the innominate one wrote:Not if it's not visible.
Did you try clicking through to the blog post above? Could you see stuff there?

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 22 Jun 2016, 19:21

I saw your first picture, but initially not the second. It's visible now. Would clicking through to the blog have allowed me to know which picture you thought would warm libertarian hearts?

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 23 Jun 2016, 00:54

the innominate one wrote:I saw your first picture, but initially not the second. It's visible now. Would clicking through to the blog have allowed me to know which picture you thought would warm libertarian hearts?
Maybe? There might be some weird jiggery-pokery going on on the server.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 23 Jun 2016, 01:12

While not quite so trippy as some of them Chris Foss is just incredible when it comes to believable sci-fi imagery. I love his stuff.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 23 Jun 2016, 01:31

I was absolutely infatuated with this one when I was younger.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 10 Mar 2017, 08:46

Seinfeld (mostly) oils

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 08 Apr 2017, 19:14

Nice tour of Hieronimus Bosch's The Garden of Earthly Delights with a super high resolution image of it (you can actually zoom into the cracks in the painting).

One of the weirder pictures from the Northern Renaissance, which is saying something. You can't say the guy didn't have an active imagination.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Apr 2017, 19:57

Painboy wrote:Nice tour of Hieronimus Bosch's The Garden of Earthly Delights with a super high resolution image of it (you can actually zoom into the cracks in the painting).

One of the weirder pictures from the Northern Renaissance, which is saying something. You can't say the guy didn't have an active imagination.
Great. I do like Bosch. Next to Hogarth, I think he is my favorite.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 08 Oct 2017, 00:48

It's not exactly Michelangelo's David but I still would really like to see this in person.

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/tokyo-uni ... tue-daiba/

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 08 Oct 2017, 09:05

I used to have that transformer's toy. Wish I still did, might be worth some money.

JD

Post by JD » 06 Dec 2017, 18:43

Woman starts petition to pester the Metropolitan Museum of Art about displaying a Balthus painting of a young girl, Thérèse Dreaming, because it "romanticizes the sexualization of a child". Take note, she very explicitly says "I am not asking for this painting to be censored, destroyed, or never seen again", she just wants the Met to remove the piece from that particular gallery (to where, she doesn't say - some private annex away from delicate eyes, perhaps?) or for them to "provide more context", perhaps with "a line as brief as, 'some viewers find this piece offensive or disturbing, given Balthus' artistic infatuation with young girls.'"

But in a way, what's she's requesting is worse than outright censorship, because she's basically asking that the Met become a mouthpiece for her views on what is offensive and what is not, and tell people what to think. Thérèse Dreaming is offensive? What about The Rape of the Sabine Women? Do we have to put a trigger warning on Guernica? Wagner was a raging anti-semite; does every performance of Parsifal have to have "more context" on it? A lot of people found Chris Ofili's The Holy Virgin Mary offensive; do we need to label that work as "offensive" too? Note that there is apparently no evidence outside the paintings that Balthus was a pedophile or that the models were molested or harmed in any way; it's just the simple existence of the work that seems to offend the petitioner.

The Met, to their credit, has more or less very politely told her to go piss up a rope.

Remember what I was saying the other day about people having a childlike need to label everything as ____, WHICH WAS VERY VERY GOOD or _____, WHICH WAS VERY VERY BAD? This is a prime example of what I was talking about. I really feel like we might be entering a new puritan age, unfortunately.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 07 Dec 2017, 10:25

JD wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 18:43
Remember what I was saying the other day about people having a childlike need to label everything as ____, WHICH WAS VERY VERY GOOD or _____, WHICH WAS VERY VERY BAD? This is a prime example of what I was talking about. I really feel like we might be entering a new puritan age, unfortunately.
I did not expect it to come from the left. I was expecting an overreaction to the second sexual revolution (i.e., the normalization of homosexuality).

nicole

Post by nicole » 07 Dec 2017, 10:27

Sandy wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 10:25
JD wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 18:43
I did not expect it to come from the left. I was expecting an overreaction to the second sexual revolution (i.e., the normalization of homosexuality).
Well, that overreaction took the form of nonbaking of cakes and Trump.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 07 Dec 2017, 10:32

nicole wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 10:27
Well, that overreaction took the form of nonbaking of cakes and Trump.
Yeah, which is an...unconservative...way to overreact.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Dec 2017, 10:48

The Second Victorian Era cannot end soon enough.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem