What the hell should I be staring at?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Kwix

Re: What the hell should I be staring at?

Post by Kwix » 14 Dec 2015, 19:53

Warren wrote:
JasonL wrote:I was out after 3 episodes of season 1. They did a really great job of adjusting in season 2. You can see the direction and show running talent, but they just couldn't make a clean break from the source material. And if you hate thornton now, don't go any further. I know what you mean and everything gets way worse as they pile on his supervillain status.
Thanks. So just jump ahead to season two then?
Despite BBT season 1 does get better about halfway through. That being said, at least to date there is almost nothing tying the two seasons together so go for it.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 Dec 2015, 20:36

It might be good to see a few more episodes so you can get a feel for what they did differently in season 2, and lots of people disagree with me on this. Some of the acting is good. Overall though - yes, I'd do that.

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Dec 2015, 00:03

I decided to wade in a little deeper. I'm shrugging off the BBT as best I'm able. But that "This is a true story blah blah blah" bullshit is a burr under my saddle. With the movie you could forget about it ten minutes in, but the show keeps shoving it in your face every episode. I hate stupid shit like that.
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 15 Dec 2015, 01:52

Warren wrote:I'm looking forward to Daredevil. I'd like it to get three seasons out before I dive in.
This will take a while. I'm not sure if they're even planning is third. Season 2 is coming out next year, as will Luke Cage, and Iron Fist only just the green light. I'm pretty sure they're planning the team up show after those air.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 15 Dec 2015, 08:45

Sandy wrote:
Warren wrote:I'm looking forward to Daredevil. I'd like it to get three seasons out before I dive in.
This will take a while. I'm not sure if they're even planning is third. Season 2 is coming out next year, as will Luke Cage, and Iron Fist only just the green light. I'm pretty sure they're planning the team up show after those air.
Plus DD is a contained story. There are threads for the next season, but this did not end on a cliffhanger.

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Dec 2015, 10:01

Good to know. I'll put it on the list.
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 15 Dec 2015, 11:46

Warren wrote:I decided to wade in a little deeper. I'm shrugging off the BBT as best I'm able. But that "This is a true story blah blah blah" bullshit is a burr under my saddle. With the movie you could forget about it ten minutes in, but the show keeps shoving it in your face every episode. I hate stupid shit like that.
I suppose the worst thing for you would be Billy Bob Thornton in the Big Bang Theory.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Dec 2015, 12:36

Kolohe wrote:
Warren wrote:I decided to wade in a little deeper. I'm shrugging off the BBT as best I'm able. But that "This is a true story blah blah blah" bullshit is a burr under my saddle. With the movie you could forget about it ten minutes in, but the show keeps shoving it in your face every episode. I hate stupid shit like that.
I suppose the worst thing for you would be Billy Bob Thornton in the Big Bang Theory.
I know he showed up in it but I either quit watching by that point or forgot what he did.
I did find BBT entertaining, but it's long past its sell-by date. The common problem of sit-coms based on two dimensional characters, they become too developed and the show descends into self parody.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Dec 2015, 00:07

All right, that's it. That's as much stupid as I can take. I tried. I really fucking tried. Ep 4 they've got BBT in custody thanks to the police work of a couple good cops but their stupid bosses let him go, because "There's no evidence". Four witnesses can ID him kidnapping a guy that later shows up dead and two more came forward to say he checked into a motel. But does anybody even suggest putting him in a lineup? Even the "'Smart"' cops? Fuck this shit. How can people watch this? How can people like watching this? This hurts me.

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Aug 2019, 01:39

Season 2 of Pose has been dissappointing. The Expanse isn't going to drop until December and Better Call Saul, not till 2020.
So what's worth watching/binging? I hear The Boys is pretty good. What else?

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 10 Aug 2019, 01:58

The Boys is downright disturbing. I see now why Batman had it in for Superman. That diseased maniac ...
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 10 Aug 2019, 01:59

By which I mean The Boys is absolutely amazing. Like Season 1 of Game of Thrones amazing. Not sure if that means the same to you as it does to me but I have made a point of telling Traveller she's gonna flip out when she finally watches it with me.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 10 Aug 2019, 15:31

Final season of Orange is the New Black is out, and looks depressing. So if you like dark shit, maybe? I'm probably just going to read the recaps online because I'm a wuss :lol:

Dead to Me on Netflix wasn't perfect but was highly enjoyable and bingeable.

Have you tried Atlanta?
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Aug 2019, 15:47

Ellie wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 15:31
Final season of Orange is the New Black is out, and looks depressing. So if you like dark shit, maybe? I'm probably just going to read the recaps online because I'm a wuss :lol:

Dead to Me on Netflix wasn't perfect but was highly enjoyable and bingeable.

Have you tried Atlanta?
I threw in the towel on OitNB back in Season 3 I think.
I don't know about Dead to Me. Doesn't sound like my cup of tea.
I thought Atlanta was canceled after the first season.