What the hell should I be staring at?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Kwix
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What the hell should I be staring at?

Post by Kwix » 14 Dec 2015, 19:53

Warren wrote:
JasonL wrote:I was out after 3 episodes of season 1. They did a really great job of adjusting in season 2. You can see the direction and show running talent, but they just couldn't make a clean break from the source material. And if you hate thornton now, don't go any further. I know what you mean and everything gets way worse as they pile on his supervillain status.
Thanks. So just jump ahead to season two then?
Despite BBT season 1 does get better about halfway through. That being said, at least to date there is almost nothing tying the two seasons together so go for it.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

JasonL
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by JasonL » 14 Dec 2015, 20:36

It might be good to see a few more episodes so you can get a feel for what they did differently in season 2, and lots of people disagree with me on this. Some of the acting is good. Overall though - yes, I'd do that.

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Dec 2015, 00:03

I decided to wade in a little deeper. I'm shrugging off the BBT as best I'm able. But that "This is a true story blah blah blah" bullshit is a burr under my saddle. With the movie you could forget about it ten minutes in, but the show keeps shoving it in your face every episode. I hate stupid shit like that.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 15 Dec 2015, 01:52

Warren wrote:I'm looking forward to Daredevil. I'd like it to get three seasons out before I dive in.
This will take a while. I'm not sure if they're even planning is third. Season 2 is coming out next year, as will Luke Cage, and Iron Fist only just the green light. I'm pretty sure they're planning the team up show after those air.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 15 Dec 2015, 08:45

Sandy wrote:
Warren wrote:I'm looking forward to Daredevil. I'd like it to get three seasons out before I dive in.
This will take a while. I'm not sure if they're even planning is third. Season 2 is coming out next year, as will Luke Cage, and Iron Fist only just the green light. I'm pretty sure they're planning the team up show after those air.
Plus DD is a contained story. There are threads for the next season, but this did not end on a cliffhanger.

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Dec 2015, 10:01

Good to know. I'll put it on the list.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 15 Dec 2015, 11:46

Warren wrote:I decided to wade in a little deeper. I'm shrugging off the BBT as best I'm able. But that "This is a true story blah blah blah" bullshit is a burr under my saddle. With the movie you could forget about it ten minutes in, but the show keeps shoving it in your face every episode. I hate stupid shit like that.
I suppose the worst thing for you would be Billy Bob Thornton in the Big Bang Theory.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Dec 2015, 12:36

Kolohe wrote:
Warren wrote:I decided to wade in a little deeper. I'm shrugging off the BBT as best I'm able. But that "This is a true story blah blah blah" bullshit is a burr under my saddle. With the movie you could forget about it ten minutes in, but the show keeps shoving it in your face every episode. I hate stupid shit like that.
I suppose the worst thing for you would be Billy Bob Thornton in the Big Bang Theory.
I know he showed up in it but I either quit watching by that point or forgot what he did.
I did find BBT entertaining, but it's long past its sell-by date. The common problem of sit-coms based on two dimensional characters, they become too developed and the show descends into self parody.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Dec 2015, 00:07

All right, that's it. That's as much stupid as I can take. I tried. I really fucking tried. Ep 4 they've got BBT in custody thanks to the police work of a couple good cops but their stupid bosses let him go, because "There's no evidence". Four witnesses can ID him kidnapping a guy that later shows up dead and two more came forward to say he checked into a motel. But does anybody even suggest putting him in a lineup? Even the "'Smart"' cops? Fuck this shit. How can people watch this? How can people like watching this? This hurts me.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Aug 2019, 01:39

Season 2 of Pose has been dissappointing. The Expanse isn't going to drop until December and Better Call Saul, not till 2020.
So what's worth watching/binging? I hear The Boys is pretty good. What else?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 10 Aug 2019, 01:58

The Boys is downright disturbing. I see now why Batman had it in for Superman. That diseased maniac ...
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 10 Aug 2019, 01:59

By which I mean The Boys is absolutely amazing. Like Season 1 of Game of Thrones amazing. Not sure if that means the same to you as it does to me but I have made a point of telling Traveller she's gonna flip out when she finally watches it with me.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 10 Aug 2019, 15:31

Final season of Orange is the New Black is out, and looks depressing. So if you like dark shit, maybe? I'm probably just going to read the recaps online because I'm a wuss :lol:

Dead to Me on Netflix wasn't perfect but was highly enjoyable and bingeable.

Have you tried Atlanta?
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Aug 2019, 15:47

Ellie wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 15:31
Final season of Orange is the New Black is out, and looks depressing. So if you like dark shit, maybe? I'm probably just going to read the recaps online because I'm a wuss :lol:

Dead to Me on Netflix wasn't perfect but was highly enjoyable and bingeable.

Have you tried Atlanta?
I threw in the towel on OitNB back in Season 3 I think.
I don't know about Dead to Me. Doesn't sound like my cup of tea.
I thought Atlanta was canceled after the first season.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 20 Aug 2019, 14:23

So I just finished Neon Genesis Evangelion. I also recently watched Dallos. I'm enjoying catching up on a corner of culture I'm largely unfamiliar with. What are some other anime series I should watch? I'm looking for reasonably complex/mature, minimal 'if my wife walks in she'll think I'm a perv'.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 20 Aug 2019, 14:25

Warren wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 01:39
Season 2 of Pose has been dissappointing. The Expanse isn't going to drop until December and Better Call Saul, not till 2020.
So what's worth watching/binging? I hear The Boys is pretty good. What else?
Have you seen Babylon Berlin? We've been enjoying that a lot.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 20 Aug 2019, 15:09

dead_elvis wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 14:23
So I just finished Neon Genesis Evangelion. I also recently watched Dallos. I'm enjoying catching up on a corner of culture I'm largely unfamiliar with. What are some other anime series I should watch? I'm looking for reasonably complex/mature, minimal 'if my wife walks in she'll think I'm a perv'.
I would recommend the following:

Knights of Sidonia - Revolves around a massive colony ship in space that is being attacked by mutating alien lifeforms. It has a good mix of characters and story. Has an interesting mix of pulpy sci-fi and more hard sci-fi elements. It can be a little weird at times but you watched Evangelion and there's nothing as weird as that in KoS. There is a harem in the show but it's pretty tame, if a little strange, and at times is rather cute even. The animation is cell shaded CGI but I think they did a really good job with it, barring the odd exception here or there.

Blame! - Made by the same studio that made KoS, but it's just a movie so there isn't a big time investment. Takes place in an automated city that people lost control of long time ago and actively tries to hunt down humans. Not a super deep story but has really interesting atmosphere to it and some nice action pieces.

One Punch Man - About a superhero who has become so powerful he can defeat anyone with a single punch and so struggles with a kind of ennui as nothing provides a challenge anymore. I don't know anyone who has watched this and not liked it. A parody of superhero and other anime tropes. It's a lot of fun and also has some really nice animation in it as well.

Gundam: The Origin - This one may be a little bit too nerdy but if you want some more mech combat action this does it pretty well. It's very much made for an older audience as there is quite a bit of character development and story between action scenes. Lots of politicking and schemes as well. It doesn't require you to have seen the original series as it is a prequel but there are lots of references to things from those series. Like you may wonder why some characters are getting the screen time they do despite having little to do with what's immediately going on. The animation is pretty fantastic and mixes 2D traditional animation and 3D cell shading for all the robots and mechanical stuff. It feels really seamless altogether. It's the kind of thing I wish more anime was like.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Aug 2019, 15:13

dead_elvis wrote:
I'm just going to assume you've seen Cowboy Bebop? It's probably the best anime type creation of all time and I'm a skeptic of the genre.

Highway

Post by Highway » 20 Aug 2019, 18:31

dead_elvis wrote:
I'm much more into more relaxed-ish, slice-of-life shows than action-y shounen shows, but I'll give some suggestions for shows that I've thought were excellent due to characters, plotting, and overall story as close as I can to what you're looking for, and you can take what you like (I won't be offended :) ).

Shin Sekai Yori - From the New World: This one is about children, but in a post-apocalyptic society of telekinetics. It's one of the most horror-adjacent shows I've made it through (I'm not a horror guy at all), and tells a great story.

Shirobako: This is a really great show about making anime, literally. The show is about an anime company going through two series, and is actually really good at telling you about the process of making it, the difficulties that the people hit. Really well done characterizations, great sense of scale for the story it's telling.

Psycho-Pass: This isn't one of my favorite shows (it's good, but not great to me), but one you might really like. Another future-adjacent dystopia where everyone is monitored, pre-crime style, and the police have weapons (which are half the star of the show) that rely on the central authority to make real-time judgments about use of force. Ends up being psychodrama.

Macross Frontier: Middle of the Macross franchise, but the first one I watched and isn't too hard to understand. Good space battle and giant robot action, some singing and singer competition (and terrific songs), some love triangle stuff.

Death Parade: Not much action, this is more games set in a bar that's in a state after death, and the games help confer judgement between the players. Good individual shows, and a good overall arc.

If you want to try some shows that are less obviously adult, here's a couple suggestions:

Girls und Panzer: Yeah, the concept is one of the most wtf things possible: high school girls competing in tank battle competitions with live rounds (handwavey "carbon coating can't be injured blah blah blah") but the direction is just superb (same director as Shirobako above), the battle action is terrific, and the tank crews are a lot of fun. Plus, tanks firing guns! It's really an amazing show, for a long time it was my favorite anime ever (until Sound, Euphonium! took the spot).

Sound, Euphonium!: Show about a high school band. Amazingly good show made by Kyoto Animation (which you might have heard recently suffered a catastrophic fire). Not any risk of perviness at all. I'd suggest giving it a try, the acting, direction, art, and music are all top notch.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 21 Aug 2019, 19:38

Thumbs up also on Psycho Pass and Girls und Panzer.

A couple others come to mind.

Death Note - More popular than it probably should've been it's still an interesting show if a bit convoluted at times. It doesn't quite payoff it's premise but it's a fun ride as the characters try to scheme and trap each other.

Goblin Slayer - A more recent one. Dark fantasy where goblins are treated as if they actually existed as very horrible things. The Goblin Slayer being a near autistic guy who maniacally goes after only goblins (as opposed to other monsters) Admittedly it can get rather dark but I found the series hard to put down. There is a decent mix of humor and action. Has some good characters. You could watch the first episode to see if it's to dark for you. It doesn't get much worse than that.

Highway

Post by Highway » 21 Aug 2019, 19:59

Yeah, I'd go along with a Goblin Slayer recommendation for you at least to try.

You also can't do too badly with Makoto Shinkai's movies, although the early ones tore me up (Children who Chase Lost Voices, Voices from a Distant Star, 5cm per Second). The more recent ones are a lot more hopeful at the end: Your Name (Kimi no na wa) and The Garden of Words. But they're all masterfully done. Your Name is my favorite of his.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 24 Aug 2019, 12:17

Possibly not anime, but "Big O" is fantastic if you like Big Robots and mysterious world building.

Blame! is good, if a little short, but has a cool aesthetic.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 03 Oct 2019, 16:24

Thanks for all the recommendations! Have now watched Cowboy Bebop, Blame! and just finished first season of Psycho Pass, these were all really good.