What the hell should I be staring at?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
the innominate one
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What the hell should I be staring at?

Post by the innominate one » 30 Nov 2015, 11:24

Okay, folks. I've got a 30-day free trial of Amazon Prime, including Prime Video, natch. Other than Bosch, what should I watch when I'm not frantically packing and driving cross-country? I'm looking for shows and movies I can't see elsewhere. Yes, I'm cheap and unwilling to pay for Prime.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

D.A. Ridgely
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What the hell should I be staring at?

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 Nov 2015, 11:59

The obvious suggestion is The Man In The High Castle.

Beyond that, you can screen your search for Amazon Prime "Exclusives." If you already have Netflix, you're going to find at least 80% overlap between the two streaming services.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 30 Nov 2015, 12:09

Thanks! I did just see the "exclusives" link, along with the all important "show mature content" link, as well as The Man in the High Castle, which does look like an interesting alt-history. Good [to] get your verification that it's good. Have you watched Bosch?

edited to correct missing word
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 Nov 2015, 12:19

the innominate one wrote:Thanks! I did just see the "exclusives" link, along with the all important "show mature content" link, as well as The Man in the High Castle, which does look like an interesting alt-history. Good get your verification that it's good. Have you watched Bosch?
Yes, and I liked it.

Semi-related, I'm a fan of British police procedurals, e.g., Inspector Morse, Foyle's War, etc. There is a very good "prequel" to the Morse stories called Endeavour (that being Inspector Morse's first name). As the saying goes, those who like that sort of thing will find that it's the sort of thing they like.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 30 Nov 2015, 15:49

the innominate one wrote:Thanks! I did just see the "exclusives" link, along with the all important "show mature content" link, as well as The Man in the High Castle, which does look like an interesting alt-history. Good [to] get your verification that it's good. Have you watched Bosch?

edited to correct missing word
I think Vikings is on there as well. Great show. I seem to remember watching it after grabbing Prime.

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Nov 2015, 16:21

I vote against Vikings.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 30 Nov 2015, 17:19

Amazon has older HBO shows for free, like Deadwood. That's worth watching.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 01 Dec 2015, 13:14

Not everyone's cuppa, but I caught the entire series of Fringe on Prime.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Dec 2015, 13:49

Andrew wrote:Amazon has older HBO shows for free, like Deadwood. That's worth watching.
Thanks. I passed on Deadwood when it first aired on account of having already seen a thousand other Westerns. I'm a few episodes into it now and am enjoying it.

I find myself in need of TV shows to marathon myself. Don't need to be Amazon or Netflix in particular. I dare say I judge shows harshly.

I started on Blacklist. Good first episode, not a bad first season, but it went off the rails from there. I got a couple episodes into the third season and just couldn't take it anymore.

I had previously given up on House of Cards but went back to it. The third season wasn't as bad in the things that bothered me (incompetent advisories, suspension of disbelief) but I liked it better when he was just a congressman. Now it's more conventional.

Have no interest in zombies. I think I watched part of an episode of Sons of Anarchy and didn't take to it.

My list of best ever would include:
Firefly, Mad Men, Game of Thrones. I'd put Battle Star Galactica on there if it wasn't for the way it went out. I gather Dexter is in the same kind of situation.

What else you got?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 01 Dec 2015, 14:43

I enjoyed Twin Peaks, and that's on Amazon. Justified was okay, but I got tired partway through the 5th season and gave up. 30Rock has been fun but the 5th season was atrocious.

I've heard Terriers is great, but I haven't watched it yet.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Dec 2015, 15:10

Amazon Original series Catastrophe is really good. Has rom com elements but it has a dark comedic adult take on things.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 02 Dec 2015, 15:40

I finished Bosch. Really looking forward to season 2. Binge watching series is best done after they've built up a few seasons of good shows, so you can watch until you're sick of it, then you're not jonesing for more. By the time more is ready, you're ready to watch it again.

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Dec 2015, 23:23

Fargo, yea or nay?
The Flash?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 13 Dec 2015, 23:48

The Flash is very popcorn but is fun to watch,
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 14 Dec 2015, 09:49

Warren wrote:Flash?
Aaa-aah! King of the Impossible!

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Dec 2015, 12:43

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Warren wrote:Flash?
Aaa-aah! King of the Impossible!
Reliable sources indicate that he'll save every one of us.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 14 Dec 2015, 14:34

I'm not sure if it's Amazon or Netflix, but Daredevil is worth watching. Shockingly violent at times, but quite good.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 Dec 2015, 14:54

Number 6 wrote:I'm not sure if it's Amazon or Netflix, but Daredevil is worth watching. Shockingly violent at times, but quite good.
+1
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Dec 2015, 15:23

I'm looking forward to Daredevil. I'd like it to get three seasons out before I dive in.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 14 Dec 2015, 15:50

Warren wrote:Fargo, yea or nay?
Fargo, oh yah.
Season 1 is dark but Billy Bob makes for a pretty good "psychopath with humor".
Season 2 is a bit more light hearted and is arc'd to go to a third season.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 14 Dec 2015, 16:11

Warren wrote:I'm looking forward to Daredevil. I'd like it to get three seasons out before I dive in.
I'm not sure Daredevil is really going to work that way. I'm sure there will be carryover into season two, but season one is pretty satisfying as a self-contained story.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 Dec 2015, 17:57

Kwix wrote:
Fargo, oh yah.
Fargo season 2 is 5X Fargo season 1. I think season 2 is the best thing on right now.

Season 1 couldn't figure out how to live with the spirit of Cohenses without just ripping off whole scenes and piling on absurdities. Season 2 has that down cold.

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Dec 2015, 18:08

JasonL wrote:
Kwix wrote:
Fargo, oh yah.
Fargo season 2 is 5X Fargo season 1. I think season 2 is the best thing on right now.

Season 1 couldn't figure out how to live with the spirit of Cohenses without just ripping off whole scenes and piling on absurdities. Season 2 has that down cold.
Well I just watched the first episode. Fuuuuuu, I don't know. The thing has overwhelming positive reviews but damn, it better get a lot better. The thing has ZERO of the qualities that made the movie great. And I just fucking hate Billy Bob Thornton. He's such a douche bag. You'd think that would make him right for the part of a huge douche bag, but nope. He just sucks. Hated everything he ever did. It's even worse than the way Nicolas Cage pollutes every role with Nicolas Cage. BB is just a shitty person pretending to be another shitty person and failing.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 Dec 2015, 18:12

I was out after 3 episodes of season 1. They did a really great job of adjusting in season 2. You can see the direction and show running talent, but they just couldn't make a clean break from the source material. And if you hate thornton now, don't go any further. I know what you mean and everything gets way worse as they pile on his supervillain status.

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Dec 2015, 18:33

JasonL wrote:I was out after 3 episodes of season 1. They did a really great job of adjusting in season 2. You can see the direction and show running talent, but they just couldn't make a clean break from the source material. And if you hate thornton now, don't go any further. I know what you mean and everything gets way worse as they pile on his supervillain status.
Thanks. So just jump ahead to season two then?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT