2015: SEC football is the only real football.

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
tr0g

Re: 2015: SEC football is the only real football.

Post by tr0g » 10 Oct 2015, 13:33

My Longhorns are currently beating Oklahoma 14-3. I cannpot get a live video feed, because my crafty IT guys have blocked me at every turn. But I am enjoying this nonetheless. It can still all go wrong, but I'll take what I can get. It's been a rough season.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 10 Oct 2015, 17:26

Charlie Strong just managed to keep his job for another year.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Highway

Post by Highway » 12 Oct 2015, 13:33

So we were brainstorming about the next coach at Maryland. We figure they are 2 years too early to try to get Jim Harbaugh, and Mike Leach (the guy they wanted to get before, who they couldn't and had to panic-hire Randy Edsall) still has a few more years before he gets run out of Washington State for some scandal. So we figure the best "name" they can get is Lane Kiffin...

Seriously, tho, it's about time they fired Edsall, who was a terrible hire when they got him, and has been a terrible coach. If you are under 500 in FBS college football (given that you can play 2-3 patsies a year), your team is terrible. If you're 40%, like Edsall was, that's just pathetic.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 14 Oct 2015, 10:51

My mascot is retiring, because he (?) has cancer. So the search begins for a new cow, and the old one goes off to a farm in the country. This is totes not a euphemism, as he will be treated for his cancer. There is a foundation that pays for our mascots' medical care and retirement, because of course there is.

At times like this I concede the rants about the 1% do have some grounding. Fuck you and your health problems, poor person! Our university cow has cancer!

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 Oct 2015, 12:06

see also - dead africans vs. dead african lions.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 Oct 2015, 12:17

tr0g wrote:My mascot is retiring, because he (?) has cancer. So the search begins for a new cow, and the old one goes off to a farm in the country. This is totes not a euphemism, as he will be treated for his cancer. There is a foundation that pays for our mascots' medical care and retirement, because of course there is.

At times like this I concede the rants about the 1% do have some grounding. Fuck you and your health problems, poor person! Our university cow has cancer!
Big time college football is pagan ritual for the modern world on a scale that puts Sicilian ladies with saint statues to shame. I figure we're at most a generation away from a university entombing a deceased coach in a pyramid.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Oct 2015, 13:07

tr0g wrote:My mascot is retiring, because he (?) has cancer. So the search begins for a new cow, and the old one goes off to a farm in the country. This is totes not a euphemism, as he will be treated for his cancer. There is a foundation that pays for our mascots' medical care and retirement, because of course there is.

At times like this I concede the rants about the 1% do have some grounding. Fuck you and your health problems incurred making money for us, poor person former player! Our university cow has cancer!
FTFY
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Nov 2015, 22:54

I wonder how this whole Mizzou thing would have gone down if they were a 9-0 instead of 4-5. Regents step in and fire the prez?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Nov 2015, 12:11

He's now out of there, so 4-5 was good enough.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 09 Nov 2015, 12:19

Kolohe wrote:He's now out of there, so 4-5 was good enough.
He resigned, tho'. I wonder how much of that was 'fuck it, I don't need to deal with the shitshow anymore.'

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Nov 2015, 12:31

We could achieve energy independence by surrounding Nixon's body with an electrical generator stator after all the 'resigning is a different thing from getting fired' talk I've seen in the last few days.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Nov 2015, 12:32

tr0g wrote:
Kolohe wrote:He's now out of there, so 4-5 was good enough.
He resigned, tho'. I wonder how much of that was 'fuck it, I don't need to deal with the shitshow anymore.'
I think he "resigned". Yesterday, he was not going to step down, today during the Board of Curators meeting he resigned. I'm guessing he was told that he was going to be pushed out in advance of the special meeting today.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Nov 2015, 16:51

(since the referenced conversation is not on a public forum, I'm going to be a little non-specific)

Someone pointed out that a recent President hire in a Power Five conference had no previous academic administrative experience - just as in the case of Tim Wolfe. Does the gryll collective think that the lack of experience in Academia significantly contributed to Wolfe's downfall? Without knowing anything else, it gives credence to the skepticism on completely 'outside' hires, and is bringing me around to that point of view.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 09 Nov 2015, 17:29

Kolohe wrote:(since the referenced conversation is not on a public forum, I'm going to be a little non-specific)

Someone pointed out that a recent President hire in a Power Five conference had no previous academic administrative experience - just as in the case of Tim Wolfe. Does the gryll collective think that the lack of experience in Academia significantly contributed to Wolfe's downfall? Without knowing anything else, it gives credence to the skepticism on completely 'outside' hires, and is bringing me around to that point of view.
At that level, the job is well over half political. You may very well have the skills and talent required to run the organization, but you may not understand the politics or be the right person, politically. Or even worse, you can think you understand the politics but don't. Inside hires, or at least hires coming from a similar environment, are probably better at the politics. Corporate politics is not academic politics.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 02 Jan 2016, 23:09

The Motel 6 Cactus Bowl with West Virginia and Arizona State is the methiest bowl game ever constructed.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 02 Jan 2016, 23:12

As for the Alamo Bowl - never has a team under pressure quacked up that badly.

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Jan 2016, 23:30

Kolohe wrote:As for the Alamo Bowl - never has a team under pressure quacked up that badly.
No duck is safe when the frog is horny.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 11 Jan 2016, 22:57

It's already 11 eastern and we're barely over halfway thru the 3rd qtr?

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Jan 2016, 08:22

That was a good game. I eagerly await everyone switching sides about how bowl game performance is/isn't indicative of conference quality.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 12 Jan 2016, 11:23

JasonL wrote:That was a good game. I eagerly await everyone switching sides about how bowl game performance is/isn't indicative of conference quality.
It was a good game and the SEC is still overrated as a conference.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Jan 2016, 12:10

College Football and Macroeconomics - the only disciplines where all outcomes fit all biases all the time.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 04 Dec 2016, 14:30

So is the kid fucking thing why Penn State got shut out of the playoffs? Because I'm fine is someone is going to say that was the reason.

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Dec 2016, 14:39

Kolohe wrote:So is the kid fucking thing why Penn State got shut out of the playoffs? Because I'm fine is someone is going to say that was the reason.
Nope, it was losing to Pitt.

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Jan 2017, 14:58

I guess this is the most recent college football thread. That was a hell of a game last night. Though watching Alabama is like watching the Terminator. It's just an unstoppable killing machine and you need some crazy deus ex machina to finally take them down.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 Jan 2017, 15:08

In this case the machina came in the form of "they can't convert on third down and the terminator ran out of batteries after 90 snaps or so".