2015: SEC football is the only real football.

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Fin Fang Foom

2015: SEC football is the only real football.

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 13 Aug 2015, 16:06

Thread title because you didn't just fucking do it.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

JasonL

Re: 2015: SEC football is the only real football.

Post by JasonL » 13 Aug 2015, 16:06

Bwahahahaaaa!

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Aug 2015, 16:24

+1
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Aug 2015, 16:25

How 'bout that Saban? You guys tired of him being disrespected?

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 13 Aug 2015, 16:29

when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 14 Aug 2015, 11:09

Amen! Go Vols! Also, FUCKING BAMA FUCK YOU FUCK FUCK FUCK YOOOOOOUUUUUU
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Aug 2015, 01:10

Although I have been known to say, "Go Cocks!" unironically (and still refer to it as USC until I remember that most people think that USC is the Trojans, not the Cocks), my college team is the Terriers.

When one's team is called the Terriers, it's difficult to engage most people in college football discussions, even if they're a powerhouse in the Southern Conference. "Woof-erd? Woe-ford?"

Clemson sucks, though.

When living in Dallas, I did get some small amusement out of seeing someone in maroon or burnt orange and saying "Hook'm Aggies!" or "Gig'm Horns!", respectively.

That's pretty much the extent of my college football knowledge/experience.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Randroid 2.0

Post by Randroid 2.0 » 16 Aug 2015, 01:48

Related to the thread title: why do we go through this yearly ritual with ranking Georgia so highly? And was the SEC West's performance so great last year that an 8-5 Auburn should be preseason ranked?

I'm hoping the ACC gets cut out of the playoffs as they so richly deserved to be last year.

Sent from my iBone, to beat Warren to the punch.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 Aug 2015, 08:45

Rankings r stoopid and should never actually matter for anything ever. You can be a great team with a shit schedule. You can be a shitty team with s shitty schedule. Can't tell the difference, but man people sure bloviate about how you can.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 16 Aug 2015, 11:01

lunchstealer wrote:Although I have been known to say, "Go Cocks!" unironically (and still refer to it as USC until I remember that most people think that USC is the Trojans, not the Cocks), my college team is the Terriers.

When one's team is called the Terriers, it's difficult to engage most people in college football discussions, even if they're a powerhouse in the Southern Conference. "Woof-erd? Woe-ford?"

Clemson sucks, though.

When living in Dallas, I did get some small amusement out of seeing someone in maroon or burnt orange and saying "Hook'm Aggies!" or "Gig'm Horns!", respectively.

BU? They have a terrier as a mascot. My sister graduated from there. "We'll yip you to death!" she used to joke. I'm not sure if a mascot ever factored prominently into someone's decision to not attend a college but if it did it probably happened to BU.

Randroid 2.0

Post by Randroid 2.0 » 16 Aug 2015, 13:14

Since we're talking mascots, I went to a Lutheran school that had a Crusader for a mascot. So ok first we're Lutheran but ok let him live. But when I was there we switched from a proper Teutonic knight to this piece of shit:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439745252.925876.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439745252.925876.jpg (60.77 KiB) Viewed 1545 times

Sent from my iBone, to beat Warren to the punch.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Aug 2015, 02:12

Painboy wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:Although I have been known to say, "Go Cocks!" unironically (and still refer to it as USC until I remember that most people think that USC is the Trojans, not the Cocks), my college team is the Terriers.

Clemson sucks, though.

BU? They have a terrier as a mascot. My sister graduated from there. "We'll yip you to death!" she used to joke. I'm not sure if a mascot ever factored prominently into someone's decision to not attend a college but if it did it probably happened to BU.
Wofford. But my roommate's brother went to BU in one of the most tragic alignments of mascot synergy since the two USCs chose 'Trojans' and 'Cocks'.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Sep 2015, 15:44

Hilariously, because college players are not employees, Twitter bans are likely unconstitutional.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Sep 2015, 16:25

Mo wrote:Hilariously, because college players are not employees, Twitter bans are likely unconstitutional.
Meh. You have a constitutional right to tweet. You don't have a right to play football.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Sep 2015, 17:16

Warren wrote:
Mo wrote:Hilariously, because college players are not employees, Twitter bans are likely unconstitutional.
Meh. You have a constitutional right to tweet. You don't have a right to play football.
The government or its agents (in this case the football coach) can't restrict your speech or punish you for speech.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 02 Sep 2015, 17:20

So, the always over-rated Irish are playing my alma mater this Saturday. No matter what happens, everybody is going to read more into this game than is really there.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Sep 2015, 17:23

Mo wrote:
Warren wrote:
The government or its agents (in this case the football coach) can't restrict your speech or punish you for speech.
hahahahahaha
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 02 Sep 2015, 17:38

Warren wrote:
Mo wrote:
Warren wrote:
hahahahahaha
Mo is, of course, correct in principle, but what's the remedy? The feds can't force a coach to play a player and whatever judgement such a player could get would probably be small change compared to what he hopes to earn in the NFL.

This is another example of how the NCAA divides and conquers its chattel, er, players. If they unionized effectively, the NCAA couldn't treat them like crap, but until that happens or the lawsuits from brain damage start really putting a bite into profits, it's just going to be business as usual. Coach says no tweeting, that's the end of the conversation.

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Sep 2015, 18:20

All it takes is some end of the bench/practice squad schmoe that's a social media maven getting punished and suing the coach. Nothing but upside there.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 02 Sep 2015, 18:59

Mo wrote:All it takes is some end of the bench/practice squad schmoe that's a social media maven getting punished and suing the coach. Nothing but upside there.
Especially when the starters explain to him how retributive justice works in their world.

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Sep 2015, 19:03

Mo wrote:All it takes is some end of the bench/practice squad schmoe that's a social media maven getting punished and suing the coach. Nothing but upside there.
What do you mean by punished?
Do you mean expelled from school? Yeah that won't fly.
Do you mean cut from the team (and scholarship)? Maybe he finds a lawyer that will take the case. If the school backs the coach he loses.
Do you mean he runs laps all through practice and rides the pine on Saturday? LOL you so funny.
Do you mean a couple of first stringers meat him in his dorm room and have a "heart to heart"? I don't know what you're talking about.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 02 Sep 2015, 19:05

Warren wrote: Do you mean a couple of first stringers meat him in his dorm room and have a "heart to heart"? I don't know what you're talking about.
Very nice.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 02 Sep 2015, 19:05

I imagine that being on the football team is still Ass City for benchwarmers at a D1 school, So I'd be surprised they'd sue.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Sep 2015, 19:08

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Warren wrote: Do you mean a couple of first stringers meat him in his dorm room and have a "heart to heart"? I don't know what you're talking about.
Very nice.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Sep 2015, 09:16

D.A. Ridgely wrote:Especially when the starters explain to him how retributive justice works in their world.
Fin Fang Foom wrote:I imagine that being on the football team is still Ass City for benchwarmers at a D1 school, So I'd be surprised they'd sue.
I bet there would be a significant enough proportion cheering on the student. Also, there's nothing that says they have to do it during the season. Spring of senior year would be fine. Ed O'Bannon was a star in college and didn't sue until well after he graduated.