John Oliver we can agree with

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
tr0g

Re: John Oliver we can agree with

Post by tr0g » 19 May 2016, 10:43

the innominate one wrote:Correct. It's for educated individuals.
No, it's for smug self-righteous bastards that like to play up stereotypes and laugh at them. It's the same tired "hur hur evangelicals are stoopid" shit the left has been playing for decades. Only now, we've got crappy photoshops to show while we do it! Hah hah! Hilarity! Comic genius! The last time this was genuinely funny or shocking was when Falwell sued Hustler.

Also, anybody dressed like she is and with a face like that doesn't get to make snide comments about how other people look.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 May 2016, 17:18

amen
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 21 May 2016, 12:03

Except, of course, evangelicals are pretty stupid. Young earth creationism? The constitution is based on the bible? Religious establishment doesn't violate the 1st amendment? The 1st amendment doesn't apply to religions other than Christianity? Fuck the theocratic fucks. Complaining about her and liberals' being smug is just another way to say "I have no counter-argument."

Yeah, you can argue that evangelicals isn't quite the right term. She's got a point, though. The Christian theocratic base doesn't want liberty for all or even some. A lot of the cultural conservative leaders are taking advantage of their ignorance and bias to obtain political power.

Of course there are ad hominems. It's not an academic work, it's infotainment. It doesn't make the entirety of her observations wrong. She's actually right on much of the facts. If you don't like her style, don't watch.

Enjoy your Texas Christian theocracy. As fucked up as California is, I'll take its culture over the south any day.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 May 2016, 15:34

It's not the smug, it's a level of in-group tribalism without doing the work. And a lot of her facts are way overstated - I don't recall any specific examples, but there are a lot of times when she makes blanket statements that I know have significant exceptions or need serious caveats. It's just lazy and verges on dishonest. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth is all.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 May 2016, 16:01

The thing that turns me off is the low-brow bottom feeding.
the innominate one wrote:It's for educated individuals.
O'RLY?
Are evangelicals that eager to get the apocalypse going? They had the chance to back someone that was grown in a vat to be the perfect evangelical candidate.
Ah yes. Scintillating wit there. One might think it was penned by Wilde or Voltaire. Unless one has read Wilde and Voltaire.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 21 May 2016, 20:45

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, he who can barely spell and offered to drag his scrotum across broken glass.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 21 May 2016, 21:01

No matter how good her show is, it can't be worth being a jerk on purpose on order to defend her. :(
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 22 May 2016, 00:02

I wasn't being a jerk to defend her. Her show isn't the greatest thing ever. I was trying to make Warren feel like shit.

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 May 2016, 21:58

the innominate one wrote:I wasn't being a jerk to defend her. Her show isn't the greatest thing ever. I was trying to make Warren feel like shit.
Because I had a negative reaction to something you like?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Jun 2016, 19:34

I guess I can't fault Samantha Bee for being unfair here, because he was clearly having fun playing along with it, but Gary Johnson's "I'm playing along and pretending to be weird and creepy" thing comes across as just a bit more genuine than he and his campaign staff probably intended.

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 08 Jun 2016, 01:20

I missed the unfair part. She was far more unfair to Cruz. Although I don't consider it unfair if you deserve it. Johnson doesn't come off as presidential there, though whether that's due to editing or his own fault I couldn't say.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 08 Jun 2016, 01:40

She's a comedian interviewing a political candidate and acting like people should take something away from it. That's like the worst thing ever, besides abortion, condiments, and grammatical errors.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 08 Jun 2016, 02:53

You forgot the Oxford comma.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Jun 2016, 12:37

I disagree with Bee's stance on guns, but even so, the bit where she showed the ridiculous regulations the NRA imposes on anyone who wants to get an "Eddie Eagle" costume was pretty funny.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Jun 2016, 13:45

Forgot to mention: the episode where she interviewed a former Gitmo inmate about his experiences (including torture) was heartbreaking. I wish everyone, especially the "We can totes trust our government with torture-powers, because they pinky-swear promised to only ever use it against no-joke terrorists!" types, would watch it.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 08 Jun 2016, 14:29

Link?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Jun 2016, 14:36

Don't have one; I watched it either on TV or "On Demand" (cable).

EDIT: No, wait, apparently they uploaded it to YouTube. (Warning: auto-play.)

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 08 Jun 2016, 14:52

Thanks.

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Jun 2016, 15:00

Annnnnnd I'm out wrt Sam Bee. Those interviews are terrible. She's doing that "comedy" interview thing where the subjects answers are heavily edited and taken out of context, or put into different context by making them appear to be answers to questions that were taped later. Ugh. I guess there are people that find her funny. But she's no Stephen Colbert.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Jun 2016, 16:24

Warren wrote: But she's no Stephen Colbert.
Of course she isn't, nor is she trying to be -- Colbert played a character whose whole shtick was being a ludicrously rabid supporter of issues which the real Colbert found horrible.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Jun 2016, 02:22

Jennifer wrote:
Warren wrote: But she's no Stephen Colbert.
Of course she isn't, nor is she trying to be -- Colbert played a character whose whole shtick was being a ludicrously rabid supporter of issues which the real Colbert found horrible.
Whereas Samantha Bee is playing the fake-reporter character she played on TDS, but the character she is playing is her own super-id, so she's parodying herself. It doesn't work as well as Colbert, perhaps because it feels like she gets to set all the rules herself and she agrees with everything her character says. Some of her bits work and others fall short.

And I think the issue is that because she's the first woman to do a TDS-style political satire show, she gets a bit more weight and has to kind of feel out what a one-woman show has to look like. John Oliver all had the luxury of seeing what Kinnear and Kilborn and Stewart and Colbert had done before him, whereas Bee has to adapt all of that to deal with the gender-non-neutrality of the current TV climate. As long as she beats the bar set by Kilborn, she's probably doing well.

Doesn't make me cringe any less at some of her bits. I may be outside the target demo anyway. I'm not exactly going to complain that not everything is made for me.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Jun 2016, 11:56

I wish that comedians would shut the fuck up and tell jokes, instead of thinking the public cares about their interviews with politicians.
--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Jun 2016, 13:36

thoreau wrote:I wish that comedians would shut the fuck up and tell jokes, instead of thinking the public cares about their interviews with politicians.
Insofar as nobody listens to a politician unless they're being entertaining or outrageous, I didn't mind Stewart's interviews. He was the only one interviewing politicians and book writers except for C-Span.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 09 Jun 2016, 18:52

Kolohe wrote:
thoreau wrote:I wish that comedians would shut the fuck up and tell jokes, instead of thinking the public cares about their interviews with politicians.
Insofar as nobody listens to a politician unless they're being entertaining or outrageous, I didn't mind Stewart's interviews. He was the only one interviewing politicians and book writers except for C-Span.
So I've heard that Stewart explained the interview segments once: there was a serious upper limit to how much time his writing staff could fill with decent script during a day. He couldn't do fifteen-minute episodes, so he needed something else.

There's also a certain amount of recursive making fun of cable news shows, where keeping to their format makes the satire a bit sharper. "This isn't even that entertaining when I do it, why do you guys keep doing it?" (Of course, they do it for the exact same reason).

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Jun 2016, 19:09

Kilborn did interviews too. What I saw Stewart do frequently was hold guests over two segments, and then show even more of the edited out stuff online.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex