John Oliver we can agree with

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: John Oliver we can agree with

Post by Warren » 08 May 2019, 13:51

Number 6 wrote:
08 May 2019, 12:55
There is something to be said for the notion that methods like lethal injection allow society to pretend that execution is something other than state murder, more violent methods like the firing squad or the guillotine have the benefit of forcing people to confront the reality of what they're asking for.
Only if you go back to public executions. The electric chair and gas chamber were each adopted because they were said to be more humane, when in fact both are ghastly. I submit they remained in use for many years because people didn't have to confront the reality. The scrutiny that lethal injection is getting is probably a consequence of online culture.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 08 May 2019, 20:48

Warren wrote:
08 May 2019, 13:51
Number 6 wrote:
There is something to be said for the notion that methods like lethal injection allow society to pretend that execution is something other than state murder, more violent methods like the firing squad or the guillotine have the benefit of forcing people to confront the reality of what they're asking for.
Only if you go back to public executions. The electric chair and gas chamber were each adopted because they were said to be more humane, when in fact both are ghastly. I submit they remained in use for many years because people didn't have to confront the reality. The scrutiny that lethal injection is getting is probably a consequence of online culture.
Sure. Unfortunately, I think that even grotesque public executions would only feed the bloodlust.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Jul 2019, 21:00

Number 6 wrote:
08 May 2019, 20:48
Warren wrote:
08 May 2019, 13:51
Number 6 wrote:
Sure. Unfortunately, I think that even grotesque public executions would only feed the bloodlust.
So let's split the difference and go pay-per-view.