John Oliver we can agree with

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Aresen

Re: John Oliver we can agree with

Post by Aresen » 03 Oct 2016, 10:45

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Oct 2016, 09:37

Only made it through the first minute. Does it get better?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 04 Oct 2016, 10:28

Warren wrote:Only made it through the first minute. Does it get better?
It covers most of the points Balko has made.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 22 Jun 2017, 18:33

As predicted, billionaire coal magnate Robert E. Murray is suing John Oliver for defamation
Murray Energy's complaint referred to Oliver, who is British, as a "foreign national residing in New York." The company, in a separate statement, called Murray a "patriotic American."
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 31 Jul 2017, 22:22

Oliver did a feature on Alex Jones which was pretty good (linked below), but one thing that stood out to me was the "tactical bath wipes" designed for the taint.

Has Alex Jones declared war on the Urkobold?

"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 09 Sep 2017, 00:15

Bill Maher we can agree with:

I thought this was clever. Would be revealing to view the reactions of both left- and right-wingers just listening to the audio without knowing the context (i.e. that the quotes were actually originally said by Trump and that it's not really Obama).
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Sep 2017, 10:53

Bah. Fuck Maher with a tiki torch. He's such a hack. Fucking eh, Bill takes second place to no one in partisan hypocrisy.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 09 Sep 2017, 11:28

Republicans already say enough asinine things on their own that I have little desire to see how Maher would argue with what he thinks they might say...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 09 Sep 2017, 13:06

He didn't argue with what they might say. He simply put an Obama impersonator on the stage and had him recite quotes from Trump, while asking the audience to imagine the reaction of republicans, based on what they already had said about Obama.

I still think it would be telling to take that audio and play it for lefties and righties and get their take on it. Could do the same with a Trump voice impersonator reciting Obama lines.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 09 Sep 2017, 14:37

the innominate one wrote:
09 Sep 2017, 13:06
He didn't argue with what they might say. He simply put an Obama impersonator on the stage and had him recite quotes from Trump, while asking the audience to imagine the reaction of republicans, based on what they already had said about Obama.

I still think it would be telling to take that audio and play it for lefties and righties and get their take on it. Could do the same with a Trump voice impersonator reciting Obama lines.
This. They've already done that by just taking policy positions and attributing it to different parties. Surprise surprise, Sportzbar über alles.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Sep 2017, 16:39

09 Sep 2017, 13:06

Or just put the quotes over pictures of obama and share them on lefty and righty facebook groups, and then come back two weeks later with the exact same quotes over photos of Trump and see the reactions.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 12 Sep 2017, 16:34

Yes, that's a good idea. I'm tempted to do it when I get some work stuff caught up.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 03 Oct 2017, 16:41

Radley Balko should have been a consultant on this piece. Josh Charles is very funny in a CSI:Miami parody.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Oct 2017, 17:41

Yeah, there have been about 5 John Oliver eps that I was all braggin' 'yeah, I knew about this a decade ago because I read Radley Balko and other criminal justice reform libertarians. We're woke as shit.'

Because I am a childish little man.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Oct 2017, 18:09

In a similar vein, my sister tried to say something about how I’m not paranoid enough about some government technology tracking capabilities and I responded, “I’ve been paranoid about this stuff since the days where being paranoid about it made you a weirdo”.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 03 Oct 2017, 21:09

Before the Snowden leaks, there were plenty of people who ridiculed Julian Sanchez's well-researched work. Turned out that he was exactly right.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 29 Oct 2017, 17:13

This is from a few months ago, but I was rewatching it and besides the fact that we can probably agree that something needs to be done about radioactive waste, I also noticed that the gentleman who is speaking about radioactive alligators in an excerpted video at at 6:33 is a well-known herpetologist, whom I've met and seen speak more than once, Whit Gibbons. I have a signed copy of his book, Their Blood Runs Cold: Adventures with Reptiles and Amphibians.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 30 Oct 2017, 12:02

I never thought I would see any popular discussion of FEMA FIRM maps on tv outside the occasional serious documentary.

Would be interested in Highway's take on this:

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Oct 2017, 12:58

30 Oct 2017, 12:02
I never thought I would see any popular discussion of FEMA FIRM maps on tv outside the occasional serious documentary.

Would be interested in Highway's take on this:

Oliver calling Stossel smug is a bit rich.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Oct 2017, 13:02

Not much to disagree with there from my perspective. FEMA maps are well known to be a big guess, even considering how much of a big guess hydrology is overall. And yeah, having a program that pays people to rebuild their house in the same spot where it's going to get damaged again from something that is fairly certain to happen is ridiculous, but is a tough thing to do. There's a ton of things to work through to get anywhere near a solution, and yeah, people are always going to complain when the amount they have to pay goes way up, although that's one of those things that I have relatively little sympathy for: "But I've always had other people paying for me! Why should I have to pay for my own self now?!?!?!" is essentially their argument.

I'll go into the 'outdated' FEMA maps tho. It's not really something one can blame FEMA for, I don't think. They're working on updating all of the mapping. There's just a lot of it. And FEMA is working on digitizing the whole system, and making it much more quick to update, but it's still in a testing out phase, with Maryland at the head of the effort. I've met the guy who's at the head of the effort, and they're trying to make it so that as much of the floodplain analysis as possible is kept for updating the maps, not just the lines. They want to have it so that engineers can 1) get the current analysis of a stream, 2) make their updates to the model, and 3) reupload it to DFIRM to update the maps, and allow other engineers to then use the updated model. It's a great idea, but it's always going to be slow to cover a lot of area.

And the way hydrology works is always working against the FIRM maps. The main mapping is supposed to be based on "ultimate" conditions, but that's a general zoning thing, and zoning changes all the time. And what's built doesn't necessarily match the zoning. And we can do stormwater management, but the management never really brings it back to if it was undeveloped. And even if you've got a good map, then they change the development upstream, and people who do that development aren't required to do anything with the maps downstream. The maps are only touched when someone touches something in the floodplain. And noone wants to touch the maps or the floodplain, so we do all we can, even involving what others might call 'tricks' to avoid that, because it's a big regulatory hassle. Noone wants to do a LOMC.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."