Desperate Clonewives

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
thoreau

Re: Desperate Clonewives

Post by thoreau » 22 Jun 2015, 12:19

That is Helena teaching a man not to rape.
"Camacho would be better than Trump. He actually has goodwill towards the world, and he actually did seek out the assistance of the smartest man in the world."
--Fin Fang Foom

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Sep 2015, 17:20

From another thread:
thoreau wrote:
JasonL wrote:Started Orphan Black. It's better than I thought it would be through 4 episodes. I can smell a proliferation of silly in the air, but so far so good.
Some silly stuff is coming up, but it is consistent with the characters, and most of it stays constant rather than escalating. It's just a fact of the show that certain people are the way that they are, and they relate to each other in a certain way.

I think that some of the plot elements arguably went to a silly place at the end of season 3, but we'll have to see how they start season 4.
I have to wonder whether JasonL will end up having more issues with WHITE WOMEN WITH KIDS ARE NUTS or the silliness.

Because...I had some issues.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 08 Sep 2015, 18:47

I share your opinion on white suburban women with kids being fucking nuts, and that made me appreciate Desperate Clonewives all the more. They never attempted to portray that situation as anything other than fucking nuts. Humorous, sure, and understandable on its own terms, but still nuts.
"Camacho would be better than Trump. He actually has goodwill towards the world, and he actually did seek out the assistance of the smartest man in the world."
--Fin Fang Foom

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 05 Nov 2015, 11:32

Cosima got a job at a Russian biotech company:
http://rbth.com/science_and_tech/2015/1 ... and_536205
--Fin Fang Foom

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 11 Nov 2015, 13:53

--Fin Fang Foom

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 02 Mar 2016, 11:47

Which clone are you?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adamdavis/which ... ne-are-you

I'm Cosima. (Duh)
--Fin Fang Foom

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 Apr 2016, 11:25

That was an interesting reboot of the series. I was a bit miffed by the technique of putting new material in the "Previously, on Orphan Black" thing at the beginning.

MK has potential. And putting their lab below a comic book shop was genius.
--Fin Fang Foom

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 15 Apr 2016, 12:12

thoreau wrote:That was an interesting reboot of the series. I was a bit miffed by the technique of putting new material in the "Previously, on Orphan Black" thing at the beginning.

MK has potential. And putting their lab below a comic book shop was genius.
If they introduced an adorable tow-headed boy clone, the series is doomed.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 10 May 2016, 12:23

I am caught up through Season 3 via Amazon Prime. Can I just say how much I hate Allison? And I don't mean in an "ooh, that bitch, I love to hate her" way. She is annoying, her goals are stupid, her storylines are pointless, and did we forget the part where she totally murdered her neighbor? UGH.

On the other hand, Season 3 made me completely fall in love with Helena. COMPLETELY.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 10 May 2016, 12:41

Come on, you can't tell me that the Alison and Donny rap video money celebration wasn't awesome!
--Fin Fang Foom

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 May 2016, 17:15

I can sum up the problem with this season in three words:

Not.
Enough.
Helena.
--Fin Fang Foom

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 21 May 2016, 13:25

OK, this season just got interesting again. It's been so up and down, but I think they finally came upon an interesting plot line.

Strange to think that the sestras and Susan Duncan are now on the same side. Hell, Rachel might even join Club Sestra.
--Fin Fang Foom

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 28 May 2016, 14:47

I certainly don't mind seeing Tatiana Maslany in a threesome, but I would like to also see sestra Helena kicking ass while Sarah is getting some.

I am not happy that Delphine is alive. It feels too corny to keep bringing people back who were assumed dead.

That said, I hope that Delphine was rescued by Castor. If not the clones themselves (who are glitching and dying) then the military scientists behind the project.
--Fin Fang Foom

nicole

Post by nicole » 02 Jun 2016, 09:26

I got fully caught up over the weekend. Mostly I'm just happy/impressed that the show is still so strong overall.

The whole Felix's real sister storyline was SO lame, Sarah was SO lame for like episodes and episodes ugh. But me being frustrated with Sarah isn't exactly new.

I guess I'm not shocked Donny was arrested considering Art and union-dude talked about it like 50 times but ugh this is going to be even stupider than sending Alison to rehab.

Also not looking forward to possibly seeing Delphine again, and the way Felix stopped Cosima by telling her Delphine MIGHT be alive was like...wtf does that have to do with the maggotbot and your disease? I HATE Cosima and Delphine's relationship so much. It basically makes Cosima the worst sestra for me and I thought that was finally over.

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 02 Jun 2016, 10:55

So what do you like about this season?

I don't mind some of the dumb character side plots that go on while they try to figure out the bigger storyline. My problem is that this ensemble of characters has not been used in as balanced of a manner as in previous seasons, and NO HELENA. Oh, and NO HELENA.
--Fin Fang Foom

nicole

Post by nicole » 02 Jun 2016, 11:40

thoreau wrote:So what do you like about this season?

I don't mind some of the dumb character side plots that go on while they try to figure out the bigger storyline. My problem is that this ensemble of characters has not been used in as balanced of a manner as in previous seasons, and NO HELENA. Oh, and NO HELENA.
LOL, there's been plenty of Helena until she went away like one episode ago.

I love all the stuff with Crystal. I'm thrilled she is back. Brightborn is an interesting new twist on the whole Dyad/neolution/topside stuff. We finally found out about Helsinki.

Most of all I loved finally learning more about Beth. The "prequel" scenes were probably my favorite. Finally finding out why Beth killed herself.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 02 Jun 2016, 11:43

Plenty of Helena? She wasn't in the first episode. In the second episode she had a good scene at the clinic. Then she had an interview with the cops. Then Donny told her that Alison is jealous of "Fertile Myrtle" and she left. Since then nothing. That's, like, 3 scenes.
--Fin Fang Foom

nicole

Post by nicole » 02 Jun 2016, 11:53

thoreau wrote:Plenty of Helena? She wasn't in the first episode. In the second episode she had a good scene at the clinic. Then she had an interview with the cops. Then Donny told her that Alison is jealous of "Fertile Myrtle" and she left. Since then nothing. That's, like, 3 scenes.
Also the one where she buried the science babies.

I guess I kind of see Helena as comic relief or something.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 02 Jun 2016, 11:56

Oh, yeah, forgot that one.

I see Helena as a mix of comic relief and deadly seriousness. She can handle action. And because she is so unusual she can be an interesting foil for whichever sestra is trying to interact with her and/or civilize her.
--Fin Fang Foom

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 29 Jul 2016, 02:35

Let's ask the Orphan Black characters whom they support for President.
Sarah: Politics is just a load of shite, yeah? They're all corrupt.
Mrs. S.: Exactly, love. And we all know it was rigged against Bernie!
Felix: I dunno, I think that Marco Rubio is kind of cute!
Sarah: Fi!
Felix: What? Can't a boy enjoy some Latin spice?
Art: Black lives matter. So do blue lives. But most of all, Beth's life mattered.
Det. Duko: I will vote for anyone who can get me out of this mess.
Ira: I will vote for anyone who will fund research to cure my glitch.
Rudy: The more I glitch the better Trump seems.
Tony: I'll vote for anyone who lets me go to the bathroom.
Cosima: So, as a scientist and a person of a non-heteronormative identity who's been in a struggle over who will control my existence, I find the techno-libertarian thing very intriguing, and that would make me inclined toward Gary Johnson. But he's very pro-corporation and I'm trying to keep corporations from controlling my genome, so I can't support him. Plus, a lot of his supporters run around saying "Feel the Johnson", which doesn't appeal to me as a lesbian. I like a lot of Bernie Sanders' social agenda, especially regarding student loan debt, but he's not the nominee. Plus, as a woman, I think it's important to support women in public office who will work to empower women, and thus I'm supporting Hillary Clinton.
Scott: Techno-libertarianism sounds good to me! And all of the guys in my gaming group are supporting Gary Johnson.
Delphine: Immigration reform isn't just for Hispanics. Ever since Dyad folded I've been looking for a new employer to sponsor my work visa. So I just hope we get some comprehensive immigration reform.
Donny Hendrix: Now, as a small business owner, what you need to look at when voting is how their tax policy will--
Alison: Donny! We're Canadian! We don't vote for the President of the US! Though, as a woman in elected office, I will say, I find Hillary Clinton quite impressive.
MK: I hacked Hillary's emails. They're boring.
Helena: Yulia Tymoshenko.
Sarah: Who?
Helena: Yulia Tymoshenko. Former Prime Minister of Ukraine. Is strong woman.
Scott: Hey, she has the Princess Leia braids, doesn't she?
Cosima: Well, technically, she can't be President of the US because she wasn't born in the US.
Helena: That is stupid rule. But if I cannot vote for Yulia Tymoshenko I vote for Chuck Norris. I heard he is strong like ox.
Rachel: Normally, I would support the Republican, of course. But Donald is an embarrassment. I've set things in motion to take care of him.
Krystal: I dunno, I think there's something pretty hot about a man with that kind of confidence and wealth. Hey, did you notice that Melania has had a lot of work done? It doesn't look good. I wonder if Donald will wind up divorcing her...
Adele: I'm with you, honey. Trump seems fun!
Evie Cho: It would be fun to implant a bot in Donald Trump and control his neural pathways.
--Fin Fang Foom

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 Sep 2016, 22:47

Big night for Joys of Life dedicated show threads, Tatiana Maslany just won her first Emmy.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 19 Sep 2016, 11:09

Kolohe wrote:Big night for Joys of Life dedicated show threads, Tatiana Maslany just won her first Emmy.
Well deserved. She's AMAZING on Orphan Black. Like, crazy talented.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 24 Mar 2017, 12:24

Halfway through Season 4 now that it's on Amazon. Strangely, I am feeling the Allison and Donnie love this time around.

I miss Helena though. :(

The part with the deformed baby made no sense because they apparently didn't know about the deformities until it was born. Like, they have the technology available to edit genes individually, but not one single ultrasound machine? This is one of those tiny things annoying me wayyyy out of proportion to its impact on the show (also, obviously, suffering babies are extremely upsetting to me, so that doesn't help.)

All Kendall's smoking makes me really want a cigarette.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 Mar 2017, 12:50

Ellie wrote:Halfway through Season 4 now that it's on Amazon. Strangely, I am feeling the Allison and Donnie love this time around.

I miss Helena though. :(
Da. Season chetverty is missing the best of the sestras.

She will eventually return, and it will be awesome.
--Fin Fang Foom

nicole

Post by nicole » 17 Jul 2017, 08:46

Finally caught up and now I miss Ainsley.