Taktix®'s Annual Doomed Attempt at a Hockey Thread Thread

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Taktix®

Re: Taktix®'s Annual Doomed Attempt at a Hockey Thread Threa

Post by Taktix® » 13 Oct 2016, 00:07

Some kid from Arizona, the 2016 #1 draft pick in his rookie debut, scored a record 4 goals in their first game (the first three of which were on his first 3 shots in the NHL ever, which is one of those fluky records that will probably never be broken).

This is insane:

For those unfamiliar, the real greats of hockey, the Crosbys and the Gretskys, etc., were always Canadian. This might be the first really dominant American in NHL history...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 30 Jan 2017, 12:05

Yet one more reason to give hockey a chance: during some Celebrity Shootout thing over the All-Star break this weekend, notorious goon Chris Pronger took the opportunity to squish Justin Bieber (and not jokingly -- Pronger might get fined for the hit):

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pronger-to ... 25536.html

incidental otter

Post by incidental otter » 07 Feb 2017, 11:56

This thread seems lonely, despite being about the best sport in the world. So I'll use my inaugural post for something of vital importance: my Boston Bruins firing longtime head coach Claude Julien (https://www.nhl.com/bruins/news/bruins- ... -286508860)

Even if you've got no skin in this, Julien's saga over the past 3 years presents an interesting sketch in leadership and organizational sociology. Each of the past 2 years, the team collapsed at season's end and missed the playoffs. This year the team has underperformed, and looks like it will again miss the post-season. Until today management declared these results "unacceptable", yet maintained their faith in the coach. Many fans trotted out the old cliches about the coach "losing the room"; the players had "tuned out his message". But Julien was no John Tortarella. Rather, he was a player's coach who sought to create a professional-yet-empathetic environment for his boys. To be successful, his system required his boys to play with passion and emotion, and he expected them to find that energy. He was an even-keeled leader, not know for rousing "rah rah" speeches.

Over the past 3 years the players unanimously absolved Julien for the team's failings, but have never regained the form that brought them a Cup in 2011. Nor, it should be noted, have any of the team leaders really taken the responsibility upon themselves. "We need to get better" and "we need to work harder" were the dressing-room quotes.

It's been a sad journey, watching that championship team (with a young core and bright future) devolve into a limp punching bag. Nobody, from the team president down to the lowliest equipment manager, has had a complete explanation for the decline.

Julien was offered as the sacrificial goat. We shall see whether new leadership is the answer, or whether more sweeping changes are needed...

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 07 Feb 2017, 15:04

First of all, Yay! Welcome.

I feel you on the watching a young core stagnate part. My Penguins did that under Bylsma for years until they woke up and shitcanned him and started a rebuild.

That's the problem with being good but not great -- you never have that awful couple weeks in the season where it becomes evident that a full rebuild is in order, so you keep making bandaid fixes and hope the Frankenteam holds together.

Alternatively, sometime a coaching change is just the shot they need to go to the next level (see, again, the Penguins and Mike Sullivan)...

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 07 Feb 2017, 15:05

incidental otter

Post by incidental otter » 07 Feb 2017, 21:49

Taktix® wrote:First of all, Yay! Welcome.

I feel you on the watching a young core stagnate part. My Penguins did that under Bylsma for years until they woke up and shitcanned him and started a rebuild.

That's the problem with being good but not great -- you never have that awful couple weeks in the season where it becomes evident that a full rebuild is in order, so you keep making bandaid fixes and hope the Frankenteam holds together.

Alternatively, sometime a coaching change is just the shot they need to go to the next level (see, again, the Penguins and Mike Sullivan)...
Ah! A fan of the Flightless Waterfowl! Crosby and Malkin every game must be a treat to watch. Looking forward to seeing what your gang does with Fleury as the trade deadline approaches.

I liked Sully during his short stint as B's coach, and was not surprised that he found success with the Pens. As the Islanders are finding, however, a coaching change is not a guaranteed boost. The next couple weeks will be very interesting for the B's.

ps: Pronger barely touched The Bieb. I'd have ridden him into the boards a bit harder...

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Feb 2017, 11:00

You've made him so happy.

Tundra

Post by Tundra » 09 Feb 2017, 15:18

Am I dreaming?? A whole thread just for hockey?

Greetings from the Central Division1
My Wild, despite making the playoffs repeatedly, would inevitably hit a January collapse and barely limp in. Obviously, after several times, Yeo got nuked and BB was hired. Bam! A completely different team. I really do think a coach can make a difference, particularly when you are loaded with youngsters. A big thing that Boudreau does right is demanding the best from every player, regardless of tenure. He'll move the franchise players to the third or fourth line if they are fucking up. Yeo never did that.

I've enjoyed watching some of the young guys actually play to their promise, particularly this guy:

Somehow, 6 of the top 10 +/- leaders are Wild players, too. Fun times!

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 09 Feb 2017, 15:23

Welcome, Tundra. I am a fellow Minnesotan, although my favorite hockey team is more collegiate (go Bulldogs!)

Glad to see you found us.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Tundra

Post by Tundra » 09 Feb 2017, 15:43

Thanks, Nick!

Your Bulldogs are tearing it up. Championship this year?

Tundra

Post by Tundra » 09 Feb 2017, 22:50

When your breakout goes horribly, horribly wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-_VtPO31b0

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 09 Feb 2017, 23:14

Tundra wrote:When your breakout goes horribly, horribly wrong:

So, how does that figure in the Dallas player's stats?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Tundra

Post by Tundra » 10 Feb 2017, 07:43

A minus, obviously. I don't recall there being a category for OG.

The more interesting thing is who gets the goal. It's always the last player on the attacking (scoring) team who played the puck - in this case it was Chris Kelley, who was sitting on the bench at the time!

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 10 Feb 2017, 09:15

Tundra wrote:When your breakout goes horribly, horribly wrong:

LoL

But what's not clear to me - the puck didn't richocet off an Ottawa player and/or his stick, correct? If it did, would the play be considered dead there (due to the delayed penalty) and the goal wouldn't count?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Tundra

Post by Tundra » 10 Feb 2017, 10:39

Hi Kolohe.

You are correct. No Ottowa player touched the puck prior to the goal. Had they, it would have been blown dead.

Delayed penalties are a great way to get some free man-up time. Hudler did the right thing by slowing it down so they could get their studs on the ice, but he didn't look where his D were. Were it any other team, I would be more sympathetic, but fuck Dallas.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 10 Feb 2017, 10:42

Tundra wrote:Hi Kolohe.

You are correct. No Ottowa player touched the puck prior to the goal. Had they, it would have been blown dead.

Delayed penalties are a great way to get some free man-up time. Hudler did the right thing by slowing it down so they could get their studs on the ice, but he didn't look where his D were. Were it any other team, I would be more sympathetic, but fuck Dallas.
I know shit-all about hockey, but I can always applaud a hearty "Fuck Dallas!", no matter the context.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 10 Feb 2017, 12:08

Thanks, and agree on Dallas (as a near lifelong Washington DC football team fan ;))
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 10 Feb 2017, 13:27

Kolohe wrote:

Thanks, and agree on Dallas (as a near lifelong Washington DC football team fan ;))
I'm a lifelong DC football team fan, but I had a spell where I like the Dallas Stars, back when they had Mike Modano, etc. Even though I was rooting for the Sabres to win the Stanley Cup in 1999.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Feb 2017, 16:14

Highway wrote:
Kolohe wrote:

I'm a lifelong DC football team fan, but I had a spell where I like the Dallas Stars, back when they had Mike Modano, etc. Even though I was rooting for the Sabres to win the Stanley Cup in 1999.
Wait, I thought you were a Ravens fan.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 10 Feb 2017, 18:41

Mo wrote:
Highway wrote:
Kolohe wrote:

I know that sarcasm font hasn't really taken off on the internet, but I hope you're joking...

No, I grew up around DC, and am definitely a Washington fan. Ravens fans are awful. Way worse than Washington fans about anything the team does. Super short-term memories, ultra-powerful "grass is greener with whatever we don't have" glasses, annoying as hell.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Feb 2017, 21:05

Highway wrote:
Mo wrote:
Highway wrote:
Kolohe wrote:

I know that sarcasm font hasn't really taken off on the internet, but I hope you're joking...

No, I grew up around DC, and am definitely a Washington fan. Ravens fans are awful. Way worse than Washington fans about anything the team does. Super short-term memories, ultra-powerful "grass is greener with whatever we don't have" glasses, annoying as hell.
Come to think of it, I didn't know what team you were a fan of. You would constantly rag on Ravens fans, in particular their love of Joe Flacco, but it was hard to tell if it was realistic fandom or hatred.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 10 Feb 2017, 21:36

Oh, I rag on Ravens fans because they're terrible. I actually think that Joe Flacco is a good QB. Probably around #8 -10 in the league as far as starting QBs. But have a bad game, usually abetted by horrible play calling, and those morons are like "OMG, Flacco is terrible, we should get a different QB!" As if there aren't 20 teams in the league that are searching for a QB that doesn't just fumble the ball and throw it to the defense. As if they don't remember the days of Kyle Boller, Anthony Wright, Jeff Blake, Chris Redman, Elvis Grbac, Tony Banks, Eric Zeier, Scott Mitchell... They won a fluke Championship thanks to a spectacular defense with perhaps the very worst starting QB to win a Super Bowl (maybe Brad Johnson was as bad? I don't think so) but they dump on Flacco, a guy who's repeatedly gotten a mediocre team to the playoffs. Is he gonna put the team on his shoulders and will them to victory like Brady or Ben? No, but neither is anyone else.

The only good thing to come out of any Ravens win for me is that my coworkers whine *less* about a win than a loss.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 10 Feb 2017, 23:58

For the new folks, I'm a Pittsburgh partisan when it comes to sports, rendering me incapable of remembering stats of other teams' players. Good time to be a Penguin fan though. Often clever blog I follow: http://thesportsdaily.com/the-pensblog/

Tundra

Post by Tundra » 11 Feb 2017, 08:55

Y'all ever peruse the Players' Tribune? Some really good stuff from the athletes themselves. There are essays from all sports, but of course I'm partial to hockey:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/sports/hockey/

This is a good one from Koivu the Younger: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/mikko- ... nland-nhl/

And Henrik Lundqvist: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/henrik ... nger-self/

And the Great One:http://www.theplayerstribune.com/life-o ... ky-photos/

Enjoy!

incidental otter

Post by incidental otter » 12 Feb 2017, 09:33

Tundra wrote:Y'all ever peruse the Players' Tribune? Some really good stuff from the athletes themselves. There are essays from all sports, but of course I'm partial to hockey:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/sports/hockey/

This is a good one from Koivu the Younger: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/mikko- ... nland-nhl/

And Henrik Lundqvist: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/henrik ... nger-self/

And the Great One:http://www.theplayerstribune.com/life-o ... ky-photos/

Enjoy!
Agreed on the Tribune. All the "How We Play Hockey in [insert Country]" articles are fantastic. Also enjoyed this one by Ryan Whitney about his time in the KHL: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/ryan-w ... ussia-khl/