Taktix®'s Annual Doomed Attempt at a Hockey Thread Thread

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Fin Fang Foom

Re: Taktix®'s Annual Doomed Attempt at a Hockey Thread Threa

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 11 May 2015, 11:30

Taktix® wrote:Montreal, the epicenter for French Canadian awfulness, is still in it...
Well that's sad, but Montreal itself is awesome.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 14 May 2015, 12:17

Fuckin' Caps.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 14 May 2015, 12:32

Kolohe wrote:Fuckin' Caps.
Q: You know how to make an Ovechkin?

A: It's a White Russian with no cup...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 14 May 2015, 13:05

and you can't blame it on karma for having a racist name. The Caps just always choke in the playoffs. (The Nats have so far followed the same pattern when their regular season has gone well)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 14 May 2015, 13:25

Kolohe wrote:and you can't blame it on karma for having a racist name. The Caps just always choke in the playoffs. (The Nats have so far followed the same pattern when their regular season has gone well)
Whether it's the sports bar or The Sports Bar, everything wrong with Washington can be blamed on excessive central planning, whether it's Ted Leonsis (the Caps owner), Dan Snyder, or the current COTUS...

Highway

Post by Highway » 22 May 2015, 13:19

Maybe someone knows the answer tothis. I know they stop play if the net gets moved, but what happens if the goalie knocks the net loose just before the puck goes in the net? I'm wondering if "accidentally" kicking or knocking the net loose is a goalie trick.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 22 May 2015, 13:40

Highway wrote:Maybe someone knows the answer tothis. I know they stop play if the net gets moved, but what happens if the goalie knocks the net loose just before the puck goes in the net? I'm wondering if "accidentally" kicking or knocking the net loose is a goalie trick.
Intentionally dislodging the net is at minimum a Delay of Game penalty (2 minute minor, served by another player since a goalie can't serve such penalties). However, if it happens during a breakaway (shooter-vs-goalie, or the "fast break" equivalent), the shooter gets a penalty shot (clock stops, one free shot, then a fresh face-off regardless of the outcome).

Now, and I didn't know this until after you asked, but a ref does have the option to award a goal if it's clear that the goalie intentionally dislodged the net to prevent a goal. For that to happen, the net must have been dislodged during or after the shooter is shooting AND it needs to be clear the goal would have gone in had the net not been interfered with. (SOURCE)

In practice, this sort of thing doesn't come up too often. The moorings are solid enough that a goalie can lean against them (you'll see this when the puck goes behind the net) and based on how most goalies play, it would be pretty obvious if they tried to do it intentionally.

I would say goalies get away with it about as often as football players get away with stepping out of bounds (ETA: on a scoring play)...

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 26 May 2015, 22:57

The scoring tonight is more Giants Bucs than Rangers Lightning.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 06 Aug 2015, 14:48

Penguins defenseman Ian Cole likes to spoil Game of Thrones for opponents during play: http://www.pensburgh.com/2015/8/5/91015 ... s-ruthless

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 29 Sep 2015, 21:21

NBC Sports is currently covering this Kraft Hockeyville thingy, a contest wherein the NHL picked a small town from essay submissions to hold this game in their town and upgrade the rink, etc. So this (inaugural) year they picked the War Memorial in Johnstown, Pa. which is where they filmed Slapshot, and they invited the Hanson Brothers from the movie (not those Hansons, of whom we shant speak).

It's actually pretty cool. It's a tiny rink so all the camera angles and background sounds are strangely different from the sanitized regular broadcasts. They're discussing neat behind-the-camera stories about Paul Newman, Bob Costas is visibly out of his element, and they keep interviewing random yinzers who've lived in Johnstown for generations are are probably still waiting for the steel industry to come back. Many of them played for the Johnstown Jets, the real-life inspiration for the movie Chiefs.

Anyway, pretty neat to see a preseason game get so much coverage (though I suspect Johnstown got some help from the NHL marketing department win this "contest" in its first year). Regardless if you're a hockey fan, Slapshot was a classic Paul Newman movie...

ETA: Holy fuck, never mind about Costas. They just did a segment where the real-life Ogie Ogelthorpe actually grabbed Costas (then a junior broadcaster in Syracuse), threw him against a wall and menacingly brandished a hacksaw. Someone made that a cartoon and put it in a sportscast...

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 07 Oct 2015, 14:25

Does your sport have cute yet cutting webcomics about it's stars?

http://cityfolk.ca/the-phil/

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 07 Oct 2015, 15:33

The draw play is good frequently enough.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 14 Oct 2015, 09:35

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 07 Mar 2016, 13:36

Well another season of high school hockey is done. Here is the 2016 Minnesota All Hockey Hair Team:
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Mar 2016, 23:52

How the fuck is Jaromir Jagr still playing hockey at 44?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Mar 2016, 00:30

Hugh Akston wrote:How the fuck is Jaromir Jagr still playing hockey at 44?
Gordie was still playing in his 50's
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 08 Mar 2016, 00:30

Hugh Akston wrote:How the fuck is Jaromir Jagr still playing hockey at 44?
Actually really well. He's even growing the mullet back this year. Also, 18-year-old Moravian models who try to blackmail him but he's like "whatever".

It also helps when the refs will call a penalty for breathing on him too hard...

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 26 Apr 2016, 23:50

With the Penguins doing so well, I hadn't realized how much the Panthers are starting to catch on down here. They now have a Spanish language broadcast team:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/toma ... cast-team/

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 10 May 2016, 21:26

Does Brooks Orpik win something for Least Valuable Player in this series?

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 10 May 2016, 22:42

I can't believe the Pens let the Caps back into this game with almost 5 minutes of 5 on 3 action.

Highway

Post by Highway » 10 May 2016, 23:51

Kolohe wrote:I can't believe the Pens let the Caps back into this game with almost 5 minutes of 5 on 3 action.
One of these decades, the Caps will get to go through a playoffs without losing to the Penguins.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 11 May 2016, 01:13

Kolohe wrote:I can't believe the Pens let the Caps back into this game with almost 5 minutes of 5 on 3 action.
The refs were soooo trying to give it to them.

But nope! I think we'll steamroll Tampa given the way we've been playing under Sullivan. Malkin still looks a little injured/slow but it doesn't appear to matter, because we just scored goals at will against the likely Vezina-winning goalie.

They look pretty solid right now...

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 11 May 2016, 09:36

Highway wrote:
One of these decades, the Caps will get to go through a playoffs without losing to the Penguins.
One of these decades the Caps will get to go through a playoffs until June.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 11 May 2016, 13:09

Kolohe wrote:
Highway wrote:
One of these decades the Caps will get to go through a playoffs until June.
One of these days the Caps will accept regulation under the Sokovia Accords, too.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 25 May 2016, 10:29

Oh man, game seven on Thursday for all the marbles (and to go to the Stanley Cup finals).

Whoooooot Sportsball!