We know the Russians love their children too

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Kolohe

Re: We know the Russians love their children too

Post by Kolohe » 09 Mar 2017, 23:02

I'm guessing the Ft Detrick guys actually used a backhoe and an excavator. Which also explains how the team didn't hit more or less solid rock 1 meter down on the Maryland fall line.

But yeah, the editing uncharacteristically got away from them on the last scene.

(And Oleg is now the wheat police?)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Mar 2017, 23:03

I wonder if half the point of that scene was to kill Hans.

Sent from a phone so their may be speling errors and autocorrect snafu's.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Mar 2017, 23:05

I mean, yeah, it obviously ties in with the Soviet Dept of Agriculture defector, but, I'm the opposite of intrigued by the whole premise.

(Like just kill the defector if that's what you want to do. Why the elaborate masquerade with Vietnamese Jump Street?)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Mar 2017, 23:19

I assume that they want to know what he is doing for the USDA, and this will tie into Oleg as Ration Card Cop.

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 10 Mar 2017, 07:30

But still, wheat. The only people to ever make a decent story about wheat were the Star Trek peeps, and they made it a comedy.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 Mar 2017, 11:50

That episode was better but only in relative terms. I think they swapped the season 4 writers for the​ season 3 writers.

--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 Mar 2017, 00:06

Well, they have made a story about wheat somewhat intriguing, though I thought the story was going to be about the bugs for a little while there.

My wife thinks Beeman's new girlfriend is a Soviet agent.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 20 Mar 2017, 07:46

I completely forgot until reading the AV club review - when Philip and Elizabeth said they were going to teach Paige a technique for staying 'centered', or whatever they said, I was totally squicked out until they showed the actual technique wasn't like anything in the training montages a few seasons ago.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 22 Mar 2017, 04:22

Well, it was....steady. Not bad, moving it forward, but not grabbing me.

I keep thinking that the US wheat story will turn out to be a complete misunderstanding, and there really is no plot to use insects against the Soviets; Pavel's father was smuggled out to help Big Agribusiness. Big Farmer. And Philip and Elizabeth will have a crisis of faith when they realized what a waste of time it was.

Oh. And Martha!!!!

--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 24 Mar 2017, 21:21

Poor Randy. That's what happens when you don't have work life balance and are in the office at all hours of the night.

(Randy also looks exactly like lunchstealer, even though he has the same job as the inominate one)

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 24 Mar 2017, 21:22

Also, could Vietnam Jump Street be some sort of double agent, and he let the mask slip for a bit?

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 Mar 2017, 21:43

If he's a double agent then what is he waiting for? He already knows enough to hand over two Directorate S agents.

--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 24 Mar 2017, 21:49

Yeah, he's probably just young hotheaded and immature (and is going stir crazy because he has arguably the worst job of any of the acolytes they've hired over the years)

(Everyone else was banging someone at some point in their job, whether they were supposed to be doing so or not)

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 24 Mar 2017, 22:17

Oh, is Philip's son speaking Russian or Serbo-Croatian to his contacts in the Yugoslav underground?

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 Mar 2017, 22:55

I would guess Russian. There's nothing about his background that suggests he would have ever learned Serbian, but I know Serbs who learned Russian in school.

I appreciate that it will take a while for Phillip's older son to get to the US, and they want to show that the journey takes effort without creating a whole mess of new characters all across Europe, but I hope they find a way to make his journey a bit more interesting than it has been thus far. At least find thematic or symbolic parallels between whatever problem he is solving on the latest leg of his journey and whatever Philip and Elizabeth are doing. So far Mischa's journey is not at all interesting.

--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 24 Mar 2017, 23:50

Ok, I was wondering how common Russian was in Yugoslavia, because it was never a Pact country.

Though Serbia and Russia were besties from like the 18th century (it's why WW1 started).

Though also, I think they're in Slovenia. (A great easter egg would have been Mischa meeting a young teenage Melania. Better than Philip and Elizabeth meeting a 30 something year old Trump actually)

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Mar 2017, 03:31

Notice how when Morozov was talking to Philip he talked all about spilling info in Russia to the US, but never said one word about striking back at Russia?

I remain unconvinced that Philip and Elizabeth are going to uncover a plot against the Soviet grain supply.

--Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 20 Apr 2017, 23:42

You know what would have made that episode better?

If a plotline had moved forward.
--Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Apr 2017, 08:15

It's not the same show ☹️

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 21 Apr 2017, 09:37

I do like the way that they're building toward Philip and Oleg turning against Mother Russia, but it would be great if something actually happened.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
--Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 21 Apr 2017, 14:18

Gabriel worked in a camp. Phillip's father worked in a camp. Oleg's mother was imprisoned in a camp. Oleg now has a file on his mother's time in a camp.

I don't think this is all a coincidence. But I also don't think the writers will move all that quickly in playing it out either.
--Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Apr 2017, 16:33

So Mrs. Morozov is banging a CIA officer. Finally, something is happening.

Deirdre likes married men, eh?

This episode actually had stuff happening, but I want to see some storylines merge. I want some payoff. I can only give so many fucks about Stan and Adderholt talking to a woman who is reluctantly spying for the US but doesn't deliver info. I can only give so many fucks about Stan's girlfriend if nothing happens with her. I can only give so many fucks about Oleg if he doesn't start doing something.
--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 30 Apr 2017, 15:09

theory - the kid actress that plays Paige just got better as an actress as she grew up, so they were able to create a substantial portion of the plot around her over the past 2(?) seasons.

the kid actor that plays Henry is even worse than average for aging kid actors, so what we're seeing now is a huge hole that they are trying to pad.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Apr 2017, 15:40

Occam's Theory: The writers have given themselves too many plotlines, don't know how to merge or resolve them, but at least know they shouldn't add in another, so Henry is on the sidelines.
--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 30 Apr 2017, 23:08

You are most certainly correct. Still, it seems like we're missing one thru plot line at this point; there are fewer balls in the air at this point in the season than before. (and for certain, their single season characters don't have the pizazz that Dylan Baker (bio weapon mole) and Lee Tergesen (gay SEAL) have.) And all the new Russians aren't Arkady. (or Nina)

We kinda dropped Philip's son thing cold, didn't we? And kinda suddenly? I wonder if either he or Kimmi will make a come back.