We know the Russians love their children too

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
thoreau

Re: We know the Russians love their children too

Post by thoreau » 30 Apr 2017, 23:51

I really hope that Phillip's son wasn't solely about Gabriel having to do something that he felt shitty about. He should do...something in Moscow. Something that connects to another story.

I hope that next season they go back to whatever they were doing last season. Last season rocked.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 01 May 2017, 09:14

In fairness, they did drag out the Martha storyline a bit past its expiration date. It all worked out though.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 May 2017, 09:20

The structure of the episodes is bothering me this season, not just that they seem to have above average number of empty/pointless plotlines, but each episode has this strange feel because they go back to the well over and over again with a) The Overly Long Meaningful Glances between the primaries, camera lingers and we watch for a 10 count or so while people stare at each other. I think they think it builds tension but more like the opposite; b) Do a Thing, then have the Primaries Talk About the Thing - it's like every plot element has to be hashed out in direct conversation between Phillip and Elizabeth such that we aren't allowed in a specific scene to just have a take; c) Doe Eyes Daughter - someone plz give her another expression.

It feels like an entirely different and worse show this season. Look and feel, writing, acting.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 04 May 2017, 23:47

Kimmi is back! Martha is back! (& speaking Russian!) John Boy's wife is back!

Henry wants to go to American Hogwarts.

Oleg pays it forward with secret policing.

Vietnamese Jump Street gets on a bus and has pancakes.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 05 May 2017, 00:01

This one was pretty good. I feel like they are really pushing to a point where Philip, Oleg, and Gabriel are all, in their own way, losing faith in the system and their work. Who will turn traitor this season?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 08 May 2017, 18:57

We've been getting more scenes at the travel agency lately, but between Kimmie, the Tuan/Morozov operation, Kansas, and the legwork needed to maintain cover identities that will stand up to scrutiny for those operations, when do Philip and Elizabeth actually have time to be at the travel agency?
--Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 11 May 2017, 02:27

"Have you pledged yourself to any other bride?"

Um...

--Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 May 2017, 13:13

Since the theme of this season seems to be everyone losing faith in the system, here are my predictions about people turning traitor:

1) As they're planning the mission to steal the diplomatic pouch, it will become clear to Stan that there's a very real chance that the former hockey player (the boyfriend of their informant) might get killed. He'll decide that he doesn't want that on his conscience, so he'll tip off the KGB.

2) Phillip will convert to Christianity. Possibly to seek forgiveness after taking action against Stan's girlfriend.

3) Oleg has fewer options for committing treason and getting away with it, but he'll probably pull punches, deciding that he doesn't want to send someone to the same gulag that his mother went to.

4) Gabriel will reappear and do something to help Martha and/or Phillip's son.
--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 14 May 2017, 15:11

They're going to do a side quest to hunt Nazis? At this point in the season?

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 May 2017, 15:34

Kolohe wrote:They're going to do a side quest to hunt Nazis? At this point in the season?
I think that Phillip's doubts about the mission and whether the target is guilty will be tightly aligned with the themes of the season.

But, yeah, seems like they could visit those themes without the new side quest.

--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 20 May 2017, 11:32

They laid on thick the fan service inside jokes on this one. Someone asking Henry 'Where's your Mom' and a featured role of Mail Robot.

That was just an incredibly botched op by Philip and Elizabeth's standards. People as careful as they are shouldn't have put themselves in the position where they would need to kill the husband. And from the get go, it seems off to me for the Centre to have a bug up their ass about nazi collaboraters during the mid 80s in the absence of a personal vendetta.

I like the scenes in Russia in the sense that they really show how the system grinds everyone down, and the system itself is grinding down, but it isn't linked to the bigger picture very well, except for the thin reed of Oleg continuity.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 20 May 2017, 13:30

Nazi war criminals getting discovered in the US was a thing in the eighties, so I actually found it to be an appropriate storyline for the era.

At this point I think they need a storyline about the KGB's budget being cut during the run-up to Soviet collapse, because Philip and Elizabeth seem to be the only agents available for operations anywhere in the US.

The botching of that op was out of character for them, but necessary to get Elizabeth to the point where she would want to leave.

--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 21 May 2017, 16:45

This is an actual office park in Falls Church and one of its tenants.

So we know what happens to Paige.ImageImage

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 May 2017, 14:26

The only way to analyze this season is to see it as driven by where the characters need to get to, not where missions and operations need to get to. Spending all the money to maintain a cover identity for a couple of pilots who can arrange to have a kid bullied at school is a horrendous waste and inhuman endeavor, but that's what needs to happen to Phillip to get him to his breaking point. The confusing, meandering, low-payoff drama that Oleg is involved in is what he needs to get to the point that he needs to get to so that he can betray the system. All the lying to Paige while her brother lives a very different life is what she needs so that her parents can see her take off her cross and take up her self-defense training...and maybe realize what they're doing. And chasing Soviet agents far from the embassy for low-payoff contacts is what Stan needs to get to the point where he can tell his boss "No. Sorry. No. I will not risk the life of this nice woman caught in a crazy game just so we can get some intelligence data of minimal significance."

Now the only question is who will snap most dramatically.

Predictions for next week:
1) Henry will accidentally learn something that he wasn't supposed to know, and the cliffhanger is whether the aspiring New England prep-schooler will be a good member of the American elite and tell his buddy in the federal government.
2) The writers won't do anything interesting with Mischa, but they'll tantalize us.
--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 25 May 2017, 23:59

I think the grind of the bureaucracy is going to win more often than not, so my prediction that very few of the people we see now taking steps to buck the system will see their efforts come out positively.

I was *really* worried when Paige first threw that rope tied to the bag over the rafters, because I was instantly thinking 'counterweight', esp after throwing away the cross, and that alarm heightened when Vietnam Jump Street revealed his suicidal ideation plan. Fortunately, it turned out just to be a punching bag (so far)

Annemarie brought up something that I found interesting - were Philip and Elizabeth geuininely looking for advice from Pastor Tim? It seems to be in keeping with Philip's character, but to me, it seems widely at odds with Elizabeth's

Elizabeth knows that Pastor Tim think that Elizabeth and Philip are moral monsters. Elizabeth seeking honest opinion seems completely off base, very much against her defensiveness whenever her parenting or her commitment to the cause and her country are questioned - and I don't think this most recent operation and her loss of heart would be enough to try to make a real emotional connection with Pastor Tim.

The main problem with Elizabeth right now is that the only person she can make a real emotional connection with is Philip - and she can't make a real emotional connection with Paige. But she wants Real Talk from Pastor Tim?

The only thing I can think of is that Philip and Elizabeth's mental health, such as it is, is only maintained because they have each other to have total trust in. Paige doesn't have that, which is the core of most of her problems. But with this move, Philip and Elizabeth have nobody to talk to - Gabriel is gone, they distrust the other handler - so the only one they can unload on is Pastor Tim.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 28 May 2017, 01:32

Whatever happened to Stan's girlfriend? Will she show up with a picture of herself on the Soviet women's hockey team?

--Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 31 May 2017, 21:21

B- ending. We needed something more interesting than Kimmy's dad to keep them in America.

And we need to know WTF is going on with Oleg. Not because I necessarily care deeply about him but they've spent so much time on him, and then they set up that mystery walk at night, and we need to know.

I actually liked what they did with Martha. Not because I necessarily want lots more of her, but they're setting up something interesting for contrasting her with the other characters.
--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 31 May 2017, 21:53

I'm in agreement. I was really expecting something bad to happen during the yellow brick road sequence (esp with Paige), but nothing.

The goodbye to Tuan was well done.

Someone on the Internet said that Stan got that look on his face that shows alarm when he doesn't want to show alarm when his girlfriend started to talk him into staying. So do we think Stan's counterintelligence radar is going off at the end there?

I just can't believe with all this character development, they're being so obtuse as to how catastrophic yanking Henry out of the USA and dumping him in the USSR would be.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Jun 2017, 16:24

Pooper ending for a pooper season. Grr.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Jun 2017, 17:11

Season 3 was kind of like season 5, and season 4 was an amazing follow-up to season 3. So maybe season 6 will blow us away.

Or maybe it will all be moments of people staring thoughtfully and ominously and musical montages and characters coming to realizations.
--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 01 Jun 2017, 19:08

In season 3

- Philip packs a suitcase full of carion.
- the FBI found the bug in the office.
- Paige gets baptized
- Philip and Elizabeth conduct that op against South Africans with a score by Fleetwood Mac. Seriously shift in action during the base solo was the highlight of the season, and maybe the series.
- Paige is told the family secret.
- Paige spills the family secret to Pastor tim.
- Philip frames the FBI computer guy for the bug, then stages his death.

And that's leaving off anything with Stan Oleg Nina and the Rezidentura.

A whole lot of stuff happened in season 3, it wove an interlocking narrative tapestry *and* had significant character development.

So, nothing like season 5.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Jun 2017, 19:42

In season 3 a whole lot of people did a whole lot of things, but few things really got resolved. Episodes were amazing but storylines were frequently dropped and left hanging for a few weeks. It was frustrating.

In season 5 fewer people did fewer things, so it was still frustrating.
--Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 02 Nov 2017, 09:22

A candidate for chief scientist at USDA is in trouble over possible involvement with the Russia scandal.

Philip and Elizabeth did yeoman's work with the genetically modified wheat. Yeoman's work.
--Shem

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 02 Nov 2017, 09:48

Clovis is a shithead. Chief scientist for usda. What's his science background?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 02 Nov 2017, 09:50

He was at the cutting edge of American technology 13,000 years ago.