Guns and Whatnot.

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ellie

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by Ellie »

What does it mean to clear your rifle? (I know I could google it but I like learning from Grylliaders more.)
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Ellie wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 12:02 What does it mean to clear your rifle? (I know I could google it but I like learning from Grylliaders more.)
Basically it means making sure there are no bullets, shells, or magazines in the gun. That way they know it's safe to point somewhere other than down range (at the targets). The guy in the video didn't properly clear his weapon which is why he put a round into the dirt.
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

For further clarification- the thing that holds the bullets is the magazine. You can see him pull the magazine out of the gun. That action in itself never ever constitutes clearing the weapon because the topmost round in the magazine after you fire is lifted from the magazine and put into the chamber which is where bullets are lined up with the barrel and ready to fire. So you have to remove the magazine but then take another step to remove the last round from the chamber. What you definitely don’t do is have your finger on the trigger until after this process is complete. The final safety precaution saved him which is never point the weapon in an unsafe direction.
Warren

Post by Warren »

At least he didn't shoot himself in the foot.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Warren wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 13:39 At least he didn't shoot himself in the foot.
That's more commonly a result of pistol malpractice like the dreaded "reholster with finger on trigger" maneuver. Hard to get the muzzle of a rifle low enough - that's usually a shoot someone else kind of mistake, which is probably worse.

I've accidentally discharged my pistol I think twice not counting the time when the gun itself was malfunctioning and firing two rounds sometimes. One was a sweaty hand fumble where you try to regrip the thing and in the process squeeze the trigger. The other was coming out of the holster too fast / jerky. Both were the same weapon - an HK P7 which had a squeeze cocking mechanism that contributed to both events.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

JasonL wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 13:48
That's more commonly a result of pistol malpractice like the dreaded "reholster with finger on trigger" maneuver. Hard to get the muzzle of a rifle low enough - that's usually a shoot someone else kind of mistake, which is probably worse.

I've accidentally discharged my pistol I think twice not counting the time when the gun itself was malfunctioning and firing two rounds sometimes. One was a sweaty hand fumble where you try to regrip the thing and in the process squeeze the trigger. The other was coming out of the holster too fast / jerky. Both were the same weapon - an HK P7 which had a squeeze cocking mechanism that contributed to both events.
Many an accident has been caused by someone's cocking mechanism getting squeezed.
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Everything should always be pointed in a safe direction or at a designated target.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

JasonL wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 13:48

I accidentally discharged a round once (presumably with MUCH fewer opportunities so-to-do). I was practicing smallbore competition shooting with the whole kit for helping stabilize the weapon - super restrictive/stiff leather shooting jacket, strap wrapped around my supporting arm, adjustable stock with under-arm hook, and I hadn't yet figured out how to operate the bolt with the rifle in firing position, given how cumbersome and restrictive the So as I was maneuvering to lower the rifle stock far enough that I could get my trigger hand into position to clear a round, or possibly to get it from loading the round and closing the bolt into firing position, something - I think my thumb - brushed the trigger, and discharged the round. The trigger was adjusted to be very light on those rifles.

It was pointed downrange but high, so it hit the ceiling of the range (Wofford had an indoor range for the rifle team, and at least half a dozen $2k+-in-1990-dollar Anschutz rifles the equivalent of which MSRPs at $3.8k now - I had a lot of fun that year). I got a stern look from the coach, but I think he wasn't sure enough of what had happened to dress me down for it, although the look on my face should've given it away.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Thank you very, very, very much for all the awesome explanations. <3 <3 <3
JD

Post by JD »

JasonL wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 13:29 You can see him pull the magazine out of the gun. That action in itself never ever constitutes clearing the weapon because the topmost round in the magazine after you fire is lifted from the magazine and put into the chamber which is where bullets are lined up with the barrel and ready to fire.
Well, except in open-bolt guns. I get the impression those are fairly rare these days though.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
JD

Post by JD »

The Atlantic publishes a piece on "The Mysterious Meaning of the Second Amendment", in which they use Big Data tactics on linguistic corpora to try and divine the mysterious meaning of phrases like "right of the people". Ultimately they come down more on the individual rights side, but it mostly seems like an exercise in logic-chopping.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
nicole

Post by nicole »

JD wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 10:22 The Atlantic publishes a piece on "The Mysterious Meaning of the Second Amendment", in which they use Big Data tactics on linguistic corpora to try and divine the mysterious meaning of phrases like "right of the people". Ultimately they come down more on the individual rights side, but it mostly seems like an exercise in logic-chopping.
Ugh, I was annoyed enough that they act like corpus linguistics was just invented (and forget there was an amicus brief in Heller that included its use!), but this is too much:
Further, we found that bear arms often took on a military meaning without being followed by against. Thus, the word against was sufficient, but not necessary, to give the phrase bear arms a militia-related meaning. Scalia was wrong on this particular claim.
That is literally exactly what Scalia said in the original opinion:
Scalia wrote:The phrase “bear Arms” also had at the time of the founding an idiomatic meaning that was significantly
different from its natural meaning: “to serve as a soldier, do military service, fight” or “to wage war.” See Linguists’ Brief 18; post, at 11 (STEVENS, J., dissenting). But it unequivocally bore that idiomatic meaning only when followed by the preposition “against,” which was in turn
followed by the target of the hostilities. See 2 Oxford 21. (That is how, for example, our Declaration of Independence ¶28, used the phrase: “He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country . . . .”) Every example given by petitioners’ amici for the idiomatic meaning of “bear arms”from the founding period either includes the preposition “against” or is not clearly idiomatic.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I mean I have my biases of course, but I've never seen "we don't understand what it really means" as anything other than "we totally understand what it means but will keep pounding on implausible theories until it goes away".
JD

Post by JD »

I thought a lot of their linguistic analysis was silly in the extreme even if it was technically correct. I mean, you could say "we found that going bowling often referred to a group activity, even if it was not followed by with", but that tells you fuck-all about whether the phrase "the right to go bowling" refers to a solitary activity or a group one.

But even though the authors come down more or less on the individual right side, they still manage to stink up the whole argument with canards like "This provision references both the collective right of a militia and an individual right." There is no such thing as a collective right, and even if there were, it beggars belief that the authors of the Constitution would have used "right of the people" when they actually meant "power of the states". They were perfectly capable of distinguishing between people and states, and they did, as the Constitution refers to both specifically in different contexts. And somehow the phrase "right of the people" only becomes a "collective right" meaning "power of the states" in the 2nd Amendment; nobody ever says "Amendment 1: the right of the people peaceably to assemble actually means that the states have the authority to gather" or "Amendment 4: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects actually refers to the property of the states!"
nicole

Post by nicole »

JD wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 11:36 I thought a lot of their linguistic analysis was silly in the extreme even if it was technically correct. I mean, you could say "we found that going bowling often referred to a group activity, even if it was not followed by with", but that tells you fuck-all about whether the phrase "the right to go bowling" refers to a solitary activity or a group one.

But even though the authors come down more or less on the individual right side, they still manage to stink up the whole argument with canards like "This provision references both the collective right of a militia and an individual right." There is no such thing as a collective right, and even if there were, it beggars belief that the authors of the Constitution would have used "right of the people" when they actually meant "power of the states". They were perfectly capable of distinguishing between people and states, and they did, as the Constitution refers to both specifically in different contexts. And somehow the phrase "right of the people" only becomes a "collective right" meaning "power of the states" in the 2nd Amendment; nobody ever says "Amendment 1: the right of the people peaceably to assemble actually means that the states have the authority to gather" or "Amendment 4: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects actually refers to the property of the states!"
Yeah. The original linguists' brief was good and thorough enough for me.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

JasonL wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 10:42 I mean I have my biases of course, but I've never seen "we don't understand what it really means" as anything other than "we totally understand what it means but will keep pounding on implausible theories until it goes away".
Amending it would be hard. Getting it judicially read out of the constitution is much easier.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

CT has introduced a bill to add a $0.35 excise tax per round of ammunition sold in the state. To help fund gun violence programs.

There's also a bill to revise our red flag law that would allow petitioners to apply for a seizure warrant directly to a judge, and bypass an LEO investigation first. The seizure is indefinite, although the affected party can apply for a repeal of it every 180 days.

I hate this state more and more, every year.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Jasper wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 12:37 CT has introduced a bill to add a $0.35 excise tax per round of ammunition sold in the state. To help fund gun violence programs.

I hate this state more and more, every year.
How long is the drive to NH?
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Dammit. What am I gonna do with that USS Texas turret I just bought off ebay?

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
JD

Post by JD »

You can have my 40mm cannon when you get a crane and lift it off my cold, dead hands which are pinned underneath it.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

It would be super scary to have a little kid stumble on this if it were loaded. (You can and should teach firearm safety to children, but when they're really young they just don't understand a damn thing about danger no matter how good your lessons are.)

That said, I'm jealous! I want one to wash up at my house! It's so cute and little!

https://twitter.com/mrdavidrowe/status/1253743212130377728

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Ellie wrote: 24 Apr 2020, 14:02 It would be super scary to have a little kid stumble on this if it were loaded. (You can and should teach firearm safety to children, but when they're really young they just don't understand a damn thing about danger no matter how good your lessons are.)

That said, I'm jealous! I want one to wash up at my house! It's so cute and little!
Aren't all objects soulless, unless he's an animist?
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

JasonL wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 13:58 Everything should always be pointed in a safe direction or at a designated target.
Especially the cocking mechanism.
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Of course it’s animism. Objects, jobs, food - you project a souls into the thing in such a way that you can pass judgement on their essences.
JD

Post by JD »

"I find it hard to convey how horrible I feel just touching one of these soulless godawful things" - not so horrible he didn't pose with it for Twitter, though.