Guns and Whatnot.

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Andrew

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by Andrew » 21 Sep 2018, 11:23

The government would never make up allegations against a political enemy. They'd never do something like claim someone had hired a hitman to kill 6 people to smear them in a pending case and then never bring those charges.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Sep 2018, 12:22

Dangerman wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 10:56
Don't worry, the SPLC's "Hatewatch Team" is on the case.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/201 ... on-bitcoin
Notorious crypto-anarchist and antigovernment extremist Cody Rutledge Wilson....
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
What's with the eyerolls? Cody not notorious enough for you? Or extremist?

I'm not surprised he had an escape plan, given his activism. If he did what they say he did, that's more stupid than I'd have credited him with. Andrew's suggestion that he's being set up was my first thought as well. OTOH smarter and more powerful men have been brought down by their dicks. Indeed, it seems to be the case that the more intelligence and self discipline a man exhibits climbing the ladder, the more subservient he becomes to his prurient desires.

One thing the story shows is how easy it is to get your crypto anonymous and beyond the reach of even the most powerful institutions with a minimum of know how and a few mouse clicks.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 Sep 2018, 14:35

Warren wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 20:36
Ellie wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 18:05
a 3D-printed handgun made of plastic, the same material used in Lego blocks
I hope they meant that it's the exact same type of plastic used in Legos. Because otherwise that's needless sensationalizing.
Material science is not my strong suit, but I'd be surprised if it's the same plastic. Legos are made from high pressure injection molding, a completely different process from 3D-printing.
And even if the polymer is technically the same, how it's processed can be completely different and lead to very different properties. A lot of injection-molded bottles are the same polymers as stamp-molded tub-style containers, but they have pretty significantly different physical characteristics.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 21 Sep 2018, 17:27

lunchstealer wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 14:35
Warren wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 20:36
Ellie wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 18:05
a 3D-printed handgun made of plastic, the same material used in Lego blocks
I hope they meant that it's the exact same type of plastic used in Legos. Because otherwise that's needless sensationalizing.
Material science is not my strong suit, but I'd be surprised if it's the same plastic. Legos are made from high pressure injection molding, a completely different process from 3D-printing.
And even if the polymer is technically the same, how it's processed can be completely different and lead to very different properties. A lot of injection-molded bottles are the same polymers as stamp-molded tub-style containers, but they have pretty significantly different physical characteristics.
3d printing is a generally vague concept covering a multitude of sins, but for home level 3d printers the two main materials are ABS and PLA. ABS is one of the most widely used plastics out there, and what they make most Lego out of.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 21 Sep 2018, 23:24

I'm eye-rolling at lots of things, starting with "crypto-anarchist" would normally be taken to mean "someone who has hidden anarchist beliefs" not "likes digital currency" and its redundant to call him an anarchist and an anti-government extremist in the same breath. I mean that's two fails in the headline.

Then the article shows us how bad he is because he talks to bad people.

I can totally believe that he had sex with that girl, and I can also believe that TPTB are stacking whatever they can against him.

JD

Post by JD » 24 Oct 2018, 16:47

While I was in Dallas recently, I went to the shooting range, which I haven't done in a couple years, and I took my wife's assistant, E, who had never fired a gun before but expressed strong interest in going. We rented a Springfield 1911, because I had never gotten to shoot a 1911 before and figured I should have some hands-on time with such an iconic pistol, and a 6" .357 revolver (can't remember the make offhand). Even though E is female and had never been shooting before, I feel like .38 Special out of a heavy .357 is eminently manageable for anyone who isn't very weak or recoil-sensitive, and E is about six feet tall and reasonably strong.

Had a pretty good time at the range - my accuracy was probably better than it's ever been before with an unfamiliar gun, and I liked both guns. I found the slide release on the 1911 stiff as hell, though, which seems to be a common complaint. Also, the diamond checkering on the grip bit unpleasantly into my hand under recoil. E preferred the revolver, and the big surprise to me was that she didn't find the .357 Magnum rounds any worse than the .38 Special rounds. Still, maybe we should have gone with a .22 revolver or autopistol since it was her first time, but she did fine.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Oct 2018, 16:50

One of the worst ideas in all of gundom (gundam????) is that "the little lady should shoot a small barreled revolver". Its stupid. They are the hardest weapons to control, shoot quickly, reload etc. Go big first, but not gigantic in grip size - like a g19 or a single stack 9mm or something.

nicole

Post by nicole » 24 Oct 2018, 16:54

some ladies have big hands jason
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Oct 2018, 17:01

i'm not sure what the number of women who find a g19 too small to comfortably hold might be, but it's not a lot. Knock yourself out if you need the g20 tho.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 24 Oct 2018, 17:53

JasonL wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 16:50
One of the worst ideas in all of gundom (gundam????)
Only if you're talking guns for one of these:

"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JD

Post by JD » 25 Oct 2018, 11:58

JasonL wrote:
One of the worst ideas in all of gundom (gundam????) is that "the little lady should shoot a small barreled revolver". Its stupid. They are the hardest weapons to control, shoot quickly, reload etc. Go big first, but not gigantic in grip size - like a g19 or a single stack 9mm or something.
Yeah, I did steer her away from some mini-revolvers that caught her eye. A large-frame 6" .357 looks huge and menacing, but it's the very size and weight that make it less punishing to shoot. I once shot one of those airweight .357s, and it was a miserable experience, like being smacked in the hand with a hammer every time.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 25 Oct 2018, 12:05

JD wrote:
25 Oct 2018, 11:58
JasonL wrote:
Yeah, I did steer her away from some mini-revolvers that caught her eye. A large-frame 6" .357 looks huge and menacing, but it's the very size and weight that make it less punishing to shoot. I once shot one of those airweight .357s, and it was a miserable experience, like being smacked in the hand with a hammer every time.
Snubnose .44 Mag is hands down the worst fucking pistol I have ever fired. There is no good reason for those to exist. The arthritis in my hands is making reconsider my 1911s anyway. I not sure I could legitimately fire a 2" .44 Mag ever again safely.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL