Guns and Whatnot.

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 2856
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by Jasper » 07 Mar 2018, 11:48

Submitted my application & got fingerprinted for the CT 60-day temporary permit yesterday. Assuming that comes through, in 3 - 4 months, I'll then have 60 days to apply for the 5-year state permit.

Hopefully this time around I won't let the damn thing lapse again.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8969
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by nicole » 07 May 2018, 13:29

cry-laugh emoji

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22519
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by JasonL » 07 May 2018, 13:34

It makes the most sense in the world.

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 12319
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 May 2018, 15:30

I'm actually unsure whether he'd be worse. I know he's been doing speaking tours, but I don't know his political deal in the modern era.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24398
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by Warren » 07 May 2018, 16:29

Eric the .5b wrote:
07 May 2018, 15:30
I'm actually unsure whether he'd be worse. I know he's been doing speaking tours, but I don't know his political deal in the modern era.
Now that you mention it... I assumed he was still all-in on American Exceptionalism Foreign Policy, but it's probably been fifteen years since I heard him speak.

Is he still doing talk radio?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15969
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by lunchstealer » 07 May 2018, 17:28

Warren wrote:
07 May 2018, 16:29
Eric the .5b wrote:
07 May 2018, 15:30
I'm actually unsure whether he'd be worse. I know he's been doing speaking tours, but I don't know his political deal in the modern era.
Now that you mention it... I assumed he was still all-in on American Exceptionalism Foreign Policy, but it's probably been fifteen years since I heard him speak.

Is he still doing talk radio?
Apparently he's retiring from talk radio to take this gig.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 3676
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by Painboy » 07 May 2018, 19:57

Maybe with his own experience he'll teach them how to manage scandal for their benefit.

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26260
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by thoreau » 07 May 2018, 20:28

It's like somebody looked at the Dana Loesch Fascism Commercials, said they couldn't possibly sink any lower, and then his buddy said "Hold my beer."
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22519
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by JasonL » 07 May 2018, 20:29

It's National Retiredwhiteguy Assn.

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 2856
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by Jasper » 08 May 2018, 12:57

The left's claim that the NRA is all about selling guns to deplorable people is now pretty much true.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15969
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by lunchstealer » 08 May 2018, 19:06

Jasper wrote:The left's claim that the NRA is all about selling guns to deplorable people is now pretty much true.
Which... goddamnit American Right, please stop confirming all of the American Left’s biases that I’ve been trying to correct for the past umpteen time units.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26260
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by thoreau » 08 May 2018, 19:21

lunchstealer wrote:
08 May 2018, 19:06
Jasper wrote:The left's claim that the NRA is all about selling guns to deplorable people is now pretty much true.
Which... goddamnit American Right, please stop confirming all of the American Left’s biases that I’ve been trying to correct for the past umpteen time units.
Maybe they were correct and you were incorrect.

The left is wrong about a lot of libertarians. They seem to be right about the right, however. Or at least the Trumpster right.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15422
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by dhex » 08 May 2018, 21:39

Punk rock attitude is much more modular and flexible than people apparently realized.

I had 3/4th of a beer and some shit pizza and it's 90 degrees at night in Nola so I'm shitposting for the next twenty or so until I pass out.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15969
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by lunchstealer » 08 May 2018, 22:23

thoreau wrote:
08 May 2018, 19:21
lunchstealer wrote:
08 May 2018, 19:06
Jasper wrote:The left's claim that the NRA is all about selling guns to deplorable people is now pretty much true.
Which... goddamnit American Right, please stop confirming all of the American Left’s biases that I’ve been trying to correct for the past umpteen time units.
Maybe they were correct and you were incorrect.

The left is wrong about a lot of libertarians. They seem to be right about the right, however. Or at least the Trumpster right.
The Trumpster right is turning out to be bigger than I thought (and I would freely have admitted that there was a lot of that bullshit already) and the cooler heads of the right are just flailingly ineffectual at reining in or persuading the Trump/Nugent right.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 2856
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by Jasper » 27 Aug 2018, 14:54

Jasper wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 11:48
Submitted my application & got fingerprinted for the CT 60-day temporary permit yesterday. Assuming that comes through, in 3 - 4 months, I'll then have 60 days to apply for the 5-year state permit.

Hopefully this time around I won't let the damn thing lapse again.
So it took the town 142 days to approve my town permit. It came in the mail the day we left for vacation, and then it took another two weeks to get the state permit becasue the first week back, the trooper that does the permitting at the state cops was out sick. :roll:
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Dangerman
Posts: 6236
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by Dangerman » 17 Sep 2018, 20:17

I mean, there are so many threads I could post this.


User avatar
JD
Posts: 10329
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by JD » 20 Sep 2018, 08:07

I'm not usually that much of a conspiracy theorist, but this makes me go hmmm...

Owner of 3D gun printing company accused of sexual assault of a child
The creator of the world's first fully printed 3D gun has been charged with sexual assault on a child in Texas, the Austin Police Department said Wednesday.
...
There is a warrant out for Wilson's arrest on the second-degree felony charge...
...
Wilson is not in custody and his last known location was Taipei, Taiwan, Officer said.
Wilson is the founder of Defense Distributed, a company that created blueprints of a 3D-printed handgun made of plastic, the same material used in Lego blocks. The company is embroiled in a legal dispute that began in the Obama administration over the distribution of the blueprints.
So dude who's involved in an extremely high-profile case that has a lot of authorities up in arms just happens to get charged with a very serious crime that would put him away for a long time or at the very least take a lot of time, money, and energy to fight. Hmm. (FWIW, the "sexual assault on a child" seems to have been patronizing a 16-year-old prostitute he met online, which, whatever your opinion of it, is probably not what most people think of when they hear "sexual assault of a child".)
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15422
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by dhex » 20 Sep 2018, 08:10

how fucking stupid do you have to be to do 3d printed guns AND underage hookers?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10329
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by JD » 20 Sep 2018, 17:40

dhex wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 08:10
how fucking stupid do you have to be to do 3d printed guns AND underage hookers?
That I could actually believe, though. Some people are just that arrogant.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 11396
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by Ellie » 20 Sep 2018, 18:05

a 3D-printed handgun made of plastic, the same material used in Lego blocks
I hope they meant that it's the exact same type of plastic used in Legos. Because otherwise that's needless sensationalizing.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 12319
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Sep 2018, 20:17

Lately, I've been hearing Blues push the idea that libertarians support the freedom to molest children. This won't help.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24398
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by Warren » 20 Sep 2018, 20:36

Ellie wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 18:05
a 3D-printed handgun made of plastic, the same material used in Lego blocks
I hope they meant that it's the exact same type of plastic used in Legos. Because otherwise that's needless sensationalizing.
Material science is not my strong suit, but I'd be surprised if it's the same plastic. Legos are made from high pressure injection molding, a completely different process from 3D-printing.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10329
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by JD » 21 Sep 2018, 08:10

Ellie wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 18:05
a 3D-printed handgun made of plastic, the same material used in Lego blocks
I hope they meant that it's the exact same type of plastic used in Legos. Because otherwise that's needless sensationalizing.
This was written by a journalist. "plastic, the same material used in Lego blocks" is about the highest level of technical correctness you can hope for.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8969
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by nicole » 21 Sep 2018, 10:40

Warren wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 20:36
Ellie wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 18:05
a 3D-printed handgun made of plastic, the same material used in Lego blocks
I hope they meant that it's the exact same type of plastic used in Legos. Because otherwise that's needless sensationalizing.
Material science is not my strong suit, but I'd be surprised if it's the same plastic. Legos are made from high pressure injection molding, a completely different process from 3D-printing.
My dad is a plastics expert and says Lego is molded from acrylinitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) and some materials used in 3-D printing are called "ABS-like" because they share some characteristics. He says ABS can be used in 3-D printing but it has some issues so they often use things that are "ABS-like" but call them ABS, or else use PVA.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Dangerman
Posts: 6236
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by Dangerman » 21 Sep 2018, 10:56

Don't worry, the SPLC's "Hatewatch Team" is on the case.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/201 ... on-bitcoin
Notorious crypto-anarchist and antigovernment extremist Cody Rutledge Wilson....
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests