Guns and Whatnot.

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Mo

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by Mo » 25 Aug 2017, 13:12

JasonL wrote:They completely don't get that or worse have decided they don't want to be on the same team as those people who make old white guys uncomfortable.
Cops instead of white guys, but same thing.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Aug 2017, 08:04

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 27 Aug 2017, 14:09

nicole wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 09:36
What doesn't make sense to me is why doesn't post-Heller (and especially post-McDonald) NRA realize that like, there's a bunch of people in liberated cities getting into this stuff and they're on the other side of the culture war but the same side of the guns and whatnot war. I've said it a bunch of times but it's obvious when you go to the range here -- and by here I mean in the suburbs because that's where you have to go -- that it's a very ethnically and politically inclusive thing. Range is maybe 50% white when I've been. This is their chance to attract a bunch of people who are really not going to like that Loesch ad. Instead they're like, fuck you guys, we don't want you in our club. Our club is for trumping.

ETA: and I mean let's not forget McDonald was black
I think the NRA has little or nothing to do with gun rights anymore and is all about the management making fat salaries. Turning back into the 1970s era "how to be responsible gun owners" org would not bring in the freaked out dollar bills.

They are potentially the biggest political threat to gun rights nowadays, frankly.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 12 Sep 2017, 15:35

Nice story in the Tribune about rising CCW permits among black women in Cook County http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Sep 2017, 15:39

Plan for a Better America - Phase 1 initiated

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 15 Oct 2017, 19:42

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 22 Oct 2017, 20:42

I got to play with a Smith and Wesson Victory .22 with a silencer added to it. There is a very noticeable drop in loudness when adding the silencer. And then if you shoot subsonic rounds through it, you only hear only the slide and then the bullet hitting a little later. Amazing.

Not sure I'm willing to submit a fingerprint yet though. Come on Hearing Protection Act!
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 25 Oct 2017, 08:59

I shot a Mosquito .22 with a can in a basement range with no ear protection. Super fun.

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 25 Oct 2017, 09:05

Silencers really shouldn't be regulated the same as automatic machine guns.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 25 Oct 2017, 14:26

pistoffnick wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 09:05
Silencers really shouldn't be regulated the same as automatic machine guns.
Agreed.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

nicole

Post by nicole » 21 Dec 2017, 12:33

You know, for all the "defensive use of guns never happens blah blah," I see a LOT of stories like this these days

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 Dec 2017, 19:01

nicole wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 12:33
You know, for all the "defensive use of guns never happens blah blah," I see a LOT of stories like this these days

That's because they tend to measure defensive gun use as 'gun deaths ruled to be self defense' whereas a lot of and probably a huge majority of armed self defense doesn't result in death.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 23 Dec 2017, 13:56

For all we know, there could be a huge amount of successful defensive firearm deployments where there are no shots fired at all.

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 23 Dec 2017, 20:02

Dangerman wrote:
23 Dec 2017, 13:56
For all we know, there could be a huge amount of successful defensive firearm deployments where there are no shots fired at all.
I am sure of it.

But here's a question for the thread: Do you carry when traveling on vacation?

Depending on destination and method of travel, I check my Big Book o' State Gun Laws first, but usually wind up traveling armed when driving. Do you and, if so, what is the gun of choice?
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Dec 2017, 20:09

I do not. I don’t carry much at home anymore either tbh. Glove box, nightstand, trunk kinda guy these days.

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 23 Dec 2017, 20:13

JasonL wrote:
23 Dec 2017, 20:09
I do not. I don’t carry much at home anymore either tbh. Glove box, nightstand, trunk kinda guy these days.
Interesting. What changed?
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Dec 2017, 00:09

I’ve found myself less convinced it matters over time given my lifestyle pigmentation and area. IWB is the best carry method, appendix or hip, but I find it very uncomfortable. I don’t want to but pants a size too big to accommodate it either. Strong side hip is how I used to carry but then your covering garment is a thing in a serious way. I can’t convince myself it is a real risk where I am in life and location. My view on this annoys some of my friends these days.

nicole

Post by nicole » 24 Dec 2017, 07:15

Dangerman wrote:
Sure, and I think that’s the common response among gun rights advocates: that many successful defensive uses of firearms will be invisible. But there also appear to be a lot that aren’t. I’d be curious if researchers will learn something here since we have such a high level of violence and a recent re-introduction of legal firearms into the mix.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 24 Dec 2017, 11:51

nicole wrote:
24 Dec 2017, 07:15
Dangerman wrote:
Sure, and I think that’s the common response among gun rights advocates: that many successful defensive uses of firearms will be invisible. But there also appear to be a lot that aren’t. I’d be curious if researchers will learn something here since we have such a high level of violence and a recent re-introduction of legal firearms into the mix.
I don't know if there's enough evidence to make that a plank in my advocacy, and maybe that response is more cute than useful, but I think that's my point?

I was recently watching a video where the host was making the point that when he looked, it was hard to find any data on, for instance, incidents where an officer fired their gun but did not strike their target. If there wasn't an injury or fatality, it didn't get registered because there wasn't a rubric for that, and there's no incentive to gather that information.

Related: how many fistfights never get reported, and just much would that change violent crime statistics?

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Dec 2017, 12:52

I would hypothesize that as violent crime goes down, a higher percentage of fistfights get reported. If things are going to hell in a handbasket, ain't nobody got time to call about a fistfight. But if shit is quiet and idyllic, then fistfights are a breach of the peace and get reported.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 06 Feb 2018, 13:40

Minnesota third grader pulls the trigger on a liaison officer's gun in school.

Observations:
Level 3 holster specific to that gun should have a trigger guard that would not allow this to happen.
Perhaps the occifer should take some situational awareness training.
Why do we need armed occifers in elementary schools?

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Mar 2018, 11:14

(I think this has been asked before but my search-fu failed me.)

Is there a good source of information for potential gun owners -- such as what kind of gun safe to buy, and how to teach kids gun safety -- that is NOT the NRA?
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 02 Mar 2018, 12:11

Ellie wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 11:14

Is there a good source of information for potential gun owners -- such as what kind of gun safe to buy, and how to teach kids gun safety -- that is NOT the NRA?
I can't say for sure, but I think trying to find something online might be harmful, both emotionally and physically, to one's cranium.

Any gun store would be the place to ask about gun safes and also firearms safety training for the whole family. If that's a little intimidating, then maybe a place like Dick's or Cabela's or another outdoor sporting goods store could be an option. In my experience, gun store folks are generally helpful to newcomers (or forgetful codgers such as myself) about stuff like that. Keep in mind that the awfulness of the national NRA spokespeople and positions does not necessarily reflect what the possibly-card-carrying-member behind the counter believes. For the longest time, the NRA was the only place citizens without LEO or military backgrounds could get certified training for the firearms business.

You probably already know that the laws are set at the state level, so I can't speak to MN, but here in CT, the law requires you to take the NRA basic pistol safety course in order to apply for permits. Which I find ironic seeing as how nearly all of the CT federal & state pols are happy to bash the NRA whenever there's a camera around, but wrote into law that their training is required.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Mar 2018, 14:15

Jasper wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 12:11
For the longest time, the NRA was the only place citizens without LEO or military backgrounds could get certified training for the firearms business.
I forgot what podcast/article I saw this on, but they talked about looking at every issue of the NRA magazine and the shift from hunting and safety to home defense in the 70s to kulture war in the 00s.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 02 Mar 2018, 14:29

Ellie wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 11:14

Hunter Education is a good start for all firearm safety and is usually "kid friendly".
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/index.html
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie