Guns and Whatnot.

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by JasonL » 30 Jun 2017, 11:47

I left the NRA for the same reasons I left my old gun club. This stuff is that stuff.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 30 Jun 2017, 13:30

NRA is now becoming very bad for gun rights. Real bad if they start looking like the Sinn Fein of Turner Diaries militia types.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 30 Jun 2017, 13:46

Dangerman wrote:It's been a while since I cared, but Gun Owners of America used to be a better choice for actual donating if you want 2A advocacy.
Or checks directly to Alan Gura.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Jun 2017, 13:48

The best aspect of America's gun culture is that if you spend about five minutes with most gun owners you get their huge emphasis on safety and responsibility.

If the NRA tried projecting that in public maybe they would win some people over.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Jun 2017, 14:13

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 30 Jun 2017, 14:21

thoreau wrote:The best aspect of America's gun culture is that if you spend about five minutes with most gun owners you get their huge emphasis on safety and responsibility.

If the NRA tried projecting that in public maybe they would win some people over.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
"Most" gun owners? Or most of the gun owners that will cross paths with physics profs?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Jun 2017, 15:05

thoreau wrote:The best aspect of America's gun culture is that if you spend about five minutes with most gun owners you get their huge emphasis on safety and responsibility.
This has not been my experience.

ETA
I don't know about most gun owners. I'm prepared to believe that most gun owners have rifles for hunting, or else a gun in the night stand that they never fire.
But when it comes to gun enthusiasts, that is people that will start a conversation about guns, safety is not mentioned.
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Jun 2017, 15:21

The general set of CCW holders who actually carry and your hunter types tend to be safety focused. The expanded set of people who have bought rifles over the BHO years are not super focused on safety. The more you have the things out and carry them the more seriously you take it. It is hard to carry and not think about it.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 Jul 2017, 18:39

JasonL wrote:The general set of CCW holders who actually carry and your hunter types tend to be safety focused. The expanded set of people who have bought rifles over the BHO years are not super focused on safety. The more you have the things out and carry them the more seriously you take it. It is hard to carry and not think about it.

Except for this guy. (Yeah, I know everyone on Earth has seen it, but it still never fails to entertain.)

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 18 Jul 2017, 09:35

The NRA released another crazy person video.

Re: violent leftists: I agree that Berkeley blac bloc types are bad, but the only person who shot anyone yet was (crazy) a Milo supporter in Seattle.

ETA: Weigel had the best comment on this on twitter: "we (the NRA) were counting on a Hillary Presidency to make our revenue targets."
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Aug 2017, 23:54

Loesch should have stuck with "fisting the NY Times." At least it's edgy. Using "fisk" in 2017 is a bit

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Aug 2017, 15:42

I just saw the official NRA statement re: Castille and now feel that silence may have been the better option. Really, pimping your Carry Guard insurance is the route you're taking?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

dhex

Post by dhex » 06 Aug 2017, 20:55

Does the fop give them all the money or something?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 Aug 2017, 16:49

The new SigP320 to be adopted by the military can't pass a drop test because no trigger safety on a striker reset design. Uh. Guys. Everyone else knew you had to do a trigger safety. You doin' it rong.

nicole

Post by nicole » 24 Aug 2017, 18:20

btw. Took the NRA's call earlier -- turns out they were actually trying to reach me, I guess I'm a former member. Anyway, the lady's pitch was immediately straight from the script of that Dana Loesch video. President Trump needs your help to fight the violent liberals, blah blah. I was like, yeah, I'm not a supporter of President Trump and I want to hear something better about Philando Castile before I give you money again. She sounded like she had heard that before. It was a perfectly friendly conversation but seriously why are you opening with that, I mean why are you saying it at all but why are you opening with it when you call Chicago?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

dhex

Post by dhex » 24 Aug 2017, 20:32

they assume you're white and care more about the thin blue line than a minority guy getting murdered.

they're probably more right than not as far as their member base is concerned.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Aug 2017, 20:39

I'm officially opposed to NRA fwiw.

Mo

Guns and Whatnot.

Post by Mo » 24 Aug 2017, 21:50

dhex wrote:they assume you're white and care more about the thin blue line than a minority guy getting murdered.

they're probably more right than not as far as their member base is concerned.
More right than not still shrinks the pool. Also, interestingly enough, 70% of NRA members are conservative or very conservative, while only 44% of gun owners are. So yeah, it's a shitty recruitment pitch. Loesch is great for doubling down on existing members, bad for a membership drive. You'd probably think former NRA members are way less receptive to it too. There's a reason they're former members.

dhex

Post by dhex » 24 Aug 2017, 23:06

They've decided to double down on law and order: liberal menace

Maybe it's ideological capture of the org. Or maybe the numbers of donation dollars are so strong that it doesn't matter. Maybe they're caught in a pincer between the reality of alignment for gun owners as a group and some high net worth regulars whose loss would be catastrophic in the short term.

Dunno.

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Aug 2017, 23:28

JasonL wrote:
24 Aug 2017, 20:39
I'm officially opposed to NRA fwiw.
I could stand to hear a bit more
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 25 Aug 2017, 07:45

dhex wrote:They've decided to double down on law and order: liberal menace

Maybe it's ideological capture of the org. Or maybe the numbers of donation dollars are so strong that it doesn't matter. Maybe they're caught in a pincer between the reality of alignment for gun owners as a group and some high net worth regulars whose loss would be catastrophic in the short term.

Dunno.
It's because they won on their basic goal in the courts and with Heller and an R president, they have nothing to mobilize against. It's like MADD turning into a neo-Prohibition org.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Aug 2017, 08:55

Right. Post heller NRA is maximum culture war with gross brown barbarians at the gates undercurrents. That Dana Loesch thing is typical of stuff I get in the mail and I haven't been a member in a decade. Gun orgs should shift into normalization, guns are here but they aren't scary etc. in particular getting trained carrying women out there for greater face shooting prosperity.

Mo

Post by Mo » 25 Aug 2017, 09:20

At least MADD is focusing on something tangentially related to their core mission. The NRA is undermining theirs. Their success at the ballot box is because they managed to get bi-partisan support for their goals. If you just become a partisan football, you're going to hurt your core goals. Netanyahu is running the same risk. On the blue side, the closest I can think of is AARP, but that is basically SS/M related and they avoid kulture war.

nicole

Post by nicole » 25 Aug 2017, 09:36

What doesn't make sense to me is why doesn't post-Heller (and especially post-McDonald) NRA realize that like, there's a bunch of people in liberated cities getting into this stuff and they're on the other side of the culture war but the same side of the guns and whatnot war. I've said it a bunch of times but it's obvious when you go to the range here -- and by here I mean in the suburbs because that's where you have to go -- that it's a very ethnically and politically inclusive thing. Range is maybe 50% white when I've been. This is their chance to attract a bunch of people who are really not going to like that Loesch ad. Instead they're like, fuck you guys, we don't want you in our club. Our club is for trumping.

ETA: and I mean let's not forget McDonald was black
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Aug 2017, 09:59

They completely don't get that or worse have decided they don't want to be on the same team as those people who make old white guys uncomfortable.