Guns and Whatnot.

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
tr0g
Posts: 6672
Joined: 11 May 2011, 10:21
Location: At the shop

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by tr0g » 20 Jun 2017, 15:18

nicole wrote:WBEZ asks Chicago aldermen whether they carry: http://interactive.wbez.org/everyotherhour/aldermen/
Umm, y'all have 50 aldermen? We seem to get by okay with just 16 city council members.

Also:
Ald. Willie Cochran (20th Ward) said he wasn’t able to carry a gun at the moment — “Remember? I’m under indictment”
Where's the applause emoji?
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8978
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by nicole » 29 Jun 2017, 16:41

So have you guys watched the Dana Loesch NRA ad? I don't have it handy to link to. I finally just watched it and wtf I mean it's at least as bad as you've heard. L-dub is pissed. But now I think of it they keep calling us. Maybe I'll pick up next time.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 952
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by dead_elvis » 29 Jun 2017, 16:49

nicole wrote:So have you guys watched the Dana Loesch NRA ad? I don't have it handy to link to. I finally just watched it and wtf I mean it's at least as bad as you've heard. L-dub is pissed. But now I think of it they keep calling us. Maybe I'll pick up next time.
It is indeed atrocious. Kinda makes me want to join just so I can tell them off and resign.

It doesn't even pretend to be about gun rights. It's a Trump 2020 ad. With an extra dose of Fuck You to Philando Castile.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15427
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by dhex » 29 Jun 2017, 17:14

This one?

"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24417
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by Warren » 29 Jun 2017, 17:15

BWA HA HA HA HA
Oh yeah. That'll boost membership. I feel safer already.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8978
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by nicole » 29 Jun 2017, 18:35

dhex wrote:This one?

Ya
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8978
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by nicole » 29 Jun 2017, 18:36

dead_elvis wrote:
nicole wrote:So have you guys watched the Dana Loesch NRA ad? I don't have it handy to link to. I finally just watched it and wtf I mean it's at least as bad as you've heard. L-dub is pissed. But now I think of it they keep calling us. Maybe I'll pick up next time.
It is indeed atrocious. Kinda makes me want to join just so I can tell them off and resign.

It doesn't even pretend to be about gun rights. It's a Trump 2020 ad. With an extra dose of Fuck You to Philando Castile.
I kept waiting for like...any tie-in to gun rights. But it was an ad for jackboots.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23007
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by Mo » 29 Jun 2017, 18:55

Yeah. I guess the NRA has decided to give up on pro-2A blues. Which is odd because they traditionally tried to stay pretty bipartisan due to some blues being pretty 2A.

Also, looks like their response to Philando Castillo is, "Lol, thin blue line."
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26274
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by thoreau » 29 Jun 2017, 18:56

There is a concept of gun rights that I support: A tool of self defense to put the less physically strong on an even footing with violent criminals. That is not really the concept of gun rights that is supported by key parts of America's cultural right. To much of America's cultural right (and their adversaries on the cultural left), guns are tied up with tribal affiliation, and hence with cop-sucking.

Howard Dean inadvertently illustrated this when he said that gun rights are fine for Vermont but not for big cities.

As long as culture warriors tie gun rights to one side of the culture war, gun rights will remain something for rural are and conservative states. We will never see widespread endorsement of a feminist case for a gun in every purse.

I support gun rights but I want nothing to do with large segments of the gun rights movement.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 952
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by dead_elvis » 29 Jun 2017, 19:06

nicole wrote:But it was an ad for jackboots.
We're through the bizarro world looking glass when the premiere 2A defending organization has switched from defense-against-gov't-tyranny to help-the-police-stamp-out-dissent. This is a spasm from an organization that doesn't know what to do now that they won.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22531
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by JasonL » 29 Jun 2017, 19:19

thoreau wrote:There is a concept of gun rights that I support: A tool of self defense to put the less physically strong on an even footing with violent criminals. That is not really the concept of gun rights that is supported by key parts of America's cultural right. To much of America's cultural right (and their adversaries on the cultural left), guns are tied up with tribal affiliation, and hence with cop-sucking.

Howard Dean inadvertently illustrated this when he said that gun rights are fine for Vermont but not for big cities.

As long as culture warriors tie gun rights to one side of the culture war, gun rights will remain something for rural are and conservative states. We will never see widespread endorsement of a feminist case for a gun in every purse.

I support gun rights but I want nothing to do with large segments of the gun rights movement.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
There be lots of dumbasses out there yup.

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26274
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by thoreau » 29 Jun 2017, 19:32

One idea I would really love to toss out there for conversation is gun control for men but virtually unrestricted handgun purchasing and carrying rights for women. Not because I actually want to see such a discriminatory policy but because I think it would force people to confront some important questions.

But too many people would look at that proposal and rather than engage with the underlying point either call me an SJW or tell me that the real solution is to teach men not to rape.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24417
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by Warren » 29 Jun 2017, 19:47

Mo wrote:Yeah. I guess the NRA has decided to give up on pro-2A blues. Which is odd because they traditionally tried to stay pretty bipartisan due to some blues being pretty 2A.

Also, looks like their response to Philando Castillo is, "Lol, thin blue line."
So just straight up racism? Because Castillo = Carry a gun means getting shot dead by cops. But only if you're black?
How else can you possibly see it?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15427
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by dhex » 29 Jun 2017, 20:05

nicole wrote:
dead_elvis wrote:
nicole wrote:So have you guys watched the Dana Loesch NRA ad? I don't have it handy to link to. I finally just watched it and wtf I mean it's at least as bad as you've heard. L-dub is pissed. But now I think of it they keep calling us. Maybe I'll pick up next time.
It is indeed atrocious. Kinda makes me want to join just so I can tell them off and resign.

It doesn't even pretend to be about gun rights. It's a Trump 2020 ad. With an extra dose of Fuck You to Philando Castile.
I kept waiting for like...any tie-in to gun rights. But it was an ad for jackboots.
it got pretty alex jonesy there for a minute.

it's only a minute long.

i mean, i fucking hate antifa dipshits and their dipshit belief system, but...castillo was straight up fucking murdered for a perfectly legal carry situation. there is no parity there. none.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15978
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Jun 2017, 20:17

dead_elvis wrote:
nicole wrote:But it was an ad for jackboots.
We're through the bizarro world looking glass when the premiere 2A defending organization has switched from defense-against-gov't-tyranny to help-the-police-stamp-out-dissent. This is a spasm from an organization that doesn't know what to do now that they won.
Well they supported pretty much any ban Reagan proposed, including the assault rifle ban and the California open-carry ban. Perhaps unsurprisingly, both bans were promoted with a great deal of photos of scary black men with scary guns. I'm sure it's just a coincidence, though.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
pistoffnick
Posts: 2740
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:52
Location: Right behind you. Watching.

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by pistoffnick » 29 Jun 2017, 20:40

The NRA is primarily a fundraising organization. They are in it to rake in donations. If you look at it in that light, this commercial makes perfect sense. Their secondary (or maybe even tertiary) goal is 2nd Admendment rights.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8978
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by nicole » 29 Jun 2017, 21:24

Warren wrote:
Mo wrote:Yeah. I guess the NRA has decided to give up on pro-2A blues. Which is odd because they traditionally tried to stay pretty bipartisan due to some blues being pretty 2A.

Also, looks like their response to Philando Castillo is, "Lol, thin blue line."
So just straight up racism? Because Castillo = Carry a gun means getting shot dead by cops. But only if you're black?
How else can you possibly see it?
I see it as straight-up copsucking.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22531
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by JasonL » 29 Jun 2017, 21:44

It's a fund raising guess on their part that they have more old white guy cop suckers than anything else in their membership.

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26274
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by thoreau » 29 Jun 2017, 21:50

JasonL wrote:It's a fund raising guess on their part that they have more old white guy cop suckers than anything else in their membership.
And there's nothing an old guy likes more than hearing an attractive women say what the old guy already thinks.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24417
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by Warren » 29 Jun 2017, 22:01

nicole wrote:
Warren wrote:
Mo wrote:Yeah. I guess the NRA has decided to give up on pro-2A blues. Which is odd because they traditionally tried to stay pretty bipartisan due to some blues being pretty 2A.

Also, looks like their response to Philando Castillo is, "Lol, thin blue line."
So just straight up racism? Because Castillo = Carry a gun means getting shot dead by cops. But only if you're black?
How else can you possibly see it?
I see it as straight-up copsucking.
But I can't wrap my head around how they can keep copsucking when it's them in the crosshairs. Are you saying they'll keep sucking the cop even as he unloads his service weapon into their skull. Cause I'll believe that. But dayum.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24417
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by Warren » 29 Jun 2017, 22:02

thoreau wrote:
JasonL wrote:It's a fund raising guess on their part that they have more old white guy cop suckers than anything else in their membership.
And there's nothing an old guy likes more than hearing an attractive women say what the old guy already thinks.
As an old white guy, I can confirm this.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15978
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Jun 2017, 22:04

Warren wrote:
nicole wrote:
Warren wrote:
Mo wrote:Yeah. I guess the NRA has decided to give up on pro-2A blues. Which is odd because they traditionally tried to stay pretty bipartisan due to some blues being pretty 2A.

Also, looks like their response to Philando Castillo is, "Lol, thin blue line."
So just straight up racism? Because Castillo = Carry a gun means getting shot dead by cops. But only if you're black?
How else can you possibly see it?
I see it as straight-up copsucking.
But I can't wrap my head around how they can keep copsucking when it's them in the crosshairs. Are you saying they'll keep sucking the cop even as he unloads his service weapon into their skull. Cause I'll believe that. But dayum.
They're not black. It's because he had dredlocks and smelled of weed and excuses and excuses and it won't happen to me.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22531
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by JasonL » 29 Jun 2017, 22:06

The ethos goes our heroes in blue save us from thugs. Good Americans who look like old white guys aren't thugs and cops know that. Only thugs need fear.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24417
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by Warren » 29 Jun 2017, 22:07

lunchstealer wrote:They're not black. It's because he had dredlocks and smelled of weed and excuses and excuses and it won't happen to me.
JasonL wrote:The ethos goes our heroes in blue save us from thugs. Good Americans who look like old white guys aren't thugs and cops know that. Only thugs need fear.
Ah. Got it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dangerman
Posts: 6239
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by Dangerman » 30 Jun 2017, 09:44

It's been a while since I cared, but Gun Owners of America used to be a better choice for actual donating if you want 2A advocacy.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest