Guns and Whatnot.

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Kolohe

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by Kolohe » 21 Jun 2016, 15:42

I'm just saying it took a lot less money to throw together some men with muskets & cannon than to throw together a frigate, and a lot less wasteful to tell all the dudes to go home and bring their guns with them than to take apart a frigate every two years.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 21 Jun 2016, 16:37

Aresen wrote:OK, it's the Washington Examiner, but the story is still funny:

Columnist fails gun check, blames store owners

To be fair, here is the columnist's own version:

STEINBERG: Would-be terrorists can buy guns, but a reporter? No.
OTOH, I liked how he said "a friend" had problems with alcohol and divorce in the article...
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 21 Jun 2016, 16:41

Kolohe wrote:I'm just saying it took a lot less money to throw together some men with muskets & cannon than to throw together a frigate, and a lot less wasteful to tell all the dudes to go home and bring their guns with them than to take apart a frigate every two years.
Oh, sure. Not that the Army tells recruits to bring their own weapons these days. Anyway, it isn't that I'm disagreeing with you. I know, for example, that mothballing ships is outrageously expensive. But by the same token I've been absolutely flabbergasted at the expenses the government ends up paying just to close an installation.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 21 Jun 2016, 21:50

Aresen wrote:OK, it's the Washington Examiner, but the story is still funny:

Columnist fails gun check, blames store owners

To be fair, here is the columnist's own version:

STEINBERG: Would-be terrorists can buy guns, but a reporter? No.
When it becomes perfectly fair to ask, "So, when did you stop beating your wife, anyway?"
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 21 Jun 2016, 22:34

There's nothing more delightful than reading online articles about what the second amendment really means by journalists whose research consists of 10 minutes of Google searches.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

JD

Post by JD » 22 Jun 2016, 10:51

Gersh Kuntzmann, he who found firing an AR-15 at the range to be the scariest thing imaginable, doubles down on the stupid. According to Kuntzmann, an AR-15 is a "weapon of mass destruction" that should only be in the hands of soldiers and cops. Why cops need a "weapon of mass destruction" that only has the purpose of killing as many people as possible as quickly as possible, he doesn't bother to explain.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 22 Jun 2016, 11:14

So we did find WMD in Iraq after all!

JD

Post by JD » 22 Jun 2016, 16:41

"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 08 Aug 2016, 22:37

The Ultimate AR v. AK comparison!

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 16 Sep 2016, 21:14

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 14 Oct 2016, 17:22

A tiny bit of news mostly buried in today's Trumpdemonium: Lawsuit against Remington filed by Sandy Hook families dismissed.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Oct 2016, 19:08

Dangerman wrote:
It's six cents a round because he can't command minimum wage for his time.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 06 Jan 2017, 15:24

Single serving, single use silencer for your Ruger 10/22:

Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 27 Mar 2017, 12:57

Surprisingly balanced documentary about smart guns:
http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2017/0 ... qus_thread

Was expecting more of an anti-gunnery slant.

The ATF vault scene is awesome. When he pulls the trigger (on an unloaded gun, thankfully) while pointed at his cameraman is not so awesome.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Mar 2017, 13:49

I will RTFA at home, but most all coverage I've ever seen of the subject is terrible. One side pretends when convenient that they want to make the things safer as in less prone to accidental discharge by owner or kids or whatever, but they absolutely do not want that. They want to be able to aggregate those numbers with homicides and suicides so the numbers are "more deadly than automobiles".

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 18 Apr 2017, 16:42

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Apr 2017, 17:22

That's fucking stupid. My property, my rules. If you don't like it, you don't give me additional obligations, just get off my property.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 18 Apr 2017, 17:48

I can see both sides.

My employer has a guns banned policy. There is very little parking around that is not owned by them. If I were a concealed carry permit holder, I would have to leave my gun at home every work day. I couldn't even lock it in my vehicle because the vehicle is parked on company property.

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Apr 2017, 19:14

pistoffnick wrote:I can see both sides.

My employer has a guns banned policy. There is very little parking around that is not owned by them. If I were a concealed carry permit holder, I would have to leave my gun at home every work day. I couldn't even lock it in my vehicle because the vehicle is parked on company property.
Leave it home or don't work there. Either way, you don't have any special liability to your employer because you have a cc permit. By the same logic everyone with a cc permit could be held liable for the safety of their co-workers should anyone actually pull their gun.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 19 Apr 2017, 13:57

Mo wrote:
That's fucking stupid. My property, my rules. If you don't like it, you don't give me additional obligations, just get off my property.
Whether it meets the libertarian decoder ring test or not, those sorts of impositions are as old as dram shop laws.

JD

Post by JD » 26 May 2017, 11:13

Roman sling bullets may have been as powerful as a .44 Magnum. The authors, not being gun geeks, do not go into exactly what they mean by "stopping power" - energy? momentum? some combination of those and cross-section and whatever else? - but it's interesting all the same.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 26 May 2017, 12:22

Felix sentis punkus?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 26 May 2017, 13:00

Wait, what? Somebody can't do math. To get a 50g projectile to have equivalent energy of even a low end .44 Mag round it needs to be going considerably faster than 100 mph. 100 mph is only ~150 ft/s. Low end .44 Mag rounds are running ~1200 ft/s with a 16g bullet. I get that sling bullet needs to be going about 650 ft/s, which is considerably faster than 100 mph. Motherfucker ain't been born that can throw a sling bullet that fast.

Plus round projectiles are crap at holding velocity over distance and all that jazz...
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JD

Post by JD » 26 May 2017, 13:22

I was thinking maybe they meant momentum (Mv) rather than energy (Mv2), but you're right - the article says "the solid ones flew at up to 100 miles per hour", and at 100 mph, a 50g projectile doesn't have anything like the momentum or KE of a .44 Magnum bullet.

That said, 100 mph may be kind of low. Baseball pitchers throw baseballs almost that fast unaided, so I would expect trained slingers working with slings to be rather faster (or else there would have been little point to using slings in the first place). According to Wikipedia, the world record for distance slinging is about 1400 feet for a 52g projectile; I challenge anybody to throw a ballistic projectile 1400 feet unaided.

(BTW, my work blocks slinging.org, because "weapons". But not the Wikipedia entry on the .44 Magnum. *eyeroll*)

nicole

Post by nicole » 20 Jun 2017, 11:24

WBEZ asks Chicago aldermen whether they carry: http://interactive.wbez.org/everyotherhour/aldermen/
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul