Guns and Whatnot.

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
tr0g

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

Post by tr0g » 19 Dec 2018, 18:15

lunchstealer wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 15:25
Eric the .5b wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 13:56
Jasper wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 10:28
The thing about switchblades is... they kinda suck. You can open a lock-back folder pretty quickly, with one hand, if it has a pin or stud on the blade near the pivot point.

Should they be banned? No. Same with the butterfly flip-folders. Same for any knife with a 2.5" or longer or whateverthefuckthelimitis in some locales.

This could be my simple utilitarian approach to EDC talking, however.
Heheheh. I actually first got interested in carrying a SAK for EDC after arguing with some Brits hyperventilating over Knife Crime and how anyone who wanted to carry a knife in their pocket is a homicidal monster.

It's the most useful spite-spurred purchase I've ever made.
Between losing an SAK and a multitool to TSA (on separate occasions, both because I forgot they were in my backpack I use as a carryon) and the addition of a cellphone taking limited pocket space, I haven't regularly carried a knife in the past 10-15 years, but before that I often did. The idea that carrying a knife is barbaric is just so goddamned dumb.
My daily carry knife for years was a Leatherman similar to this one. I lost track of the people who got horrified when I pulled it out my pocket. I was always like, WTF? I'm a plant engineer in the oil industry.

Multi-tools don't get the same reaction, even though the knife blade on my Wave is actually longer.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 26 Dec 2018, 14:13

Eric the .5b wrote:
Jasper wrote:
The thing about switchblades is... they kinda suck. You can open a lock-back folder pretty quickly, with one hand, if it has a pin or stud on the blade near the pivot point.

Should they be banned? No. Same with the butterfly flip-folders. Same for any knife with a 2.5" or longer or whateverthefuckthelimitis in some locales.

Heheheh. I actually first got interested in carrying a SAK for EDC after arguing with some Brits hyperventilating over Knife Crime and how anyone who wanted to carry a knife in their pocket is a homicidal monster.

Well, the lulz is a perfectly cromulent reason to carry a switchblade. :D

ETA - Hang on... it just occurred that SAK probably means Swiss Army Knife, as opposed to spring-action knife, that I thought Eric was intending.

I still stand by my comment however.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 26 Dec 2018, 17:12

Jasper wrote:
26 Dec 2018, 14:13
Eric the .5b wrote:
Jasper wrote:

Well, the lulz is a perfectly cromulent reason to carry a switchblade. :D

ETA - Hang on... it just occurred that SAK probably means Swiss Army Knife, as opposed to spring-action knife, that I thought Eric was intending.

I still stand by my comment however.
Well, once you get used to having the ability to shank a bitch in your pocket, it's hard to imagine being without it!

Except substitute "having really damn sharp cutting blades, screwdrivers, bottle openers, etc." for bitch-shanking, because yes, Swiss Army Knife. :)

(And yes, the Brits in question genuinely couldn't imagine someone carrying a Swiss Army Knife except to stab someone.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem