Star Trek Wankery

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Kolohe

Re: Star Trek Wankery

Post by Kolohe » 06 Jul 2017, 06:43

Wait, am I getting 'there are four lights' confused for where everyone beams down to the planet to track Lore and the lost away team?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 06 Jul 2017, 06:46

Kolohe wrote:Wait, am I getting 'there are four lights' confused for where everyone beams down to the planet to track Lore and the lost away team?
I think so?
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Jul 2017, 10:05

dbcooper wrote:
Kolohe wrote:Wait, am I getting 'there are four lights' confused for where everyone beams down to the planet to track Lore and the lost away team?
I think so?
Yeah. You had me worried there.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

JD

Post by JD » 06 Jul 2017, 11:39

Over the holiday weekend we watched all of the new Trek movies, because we could get them for free. I think I'd seen the first one when it first came out, but I hadn't seen the other two.

The first thing I noticed is that the plot for all three is basically exactly the same: they face off against an alien warlord who is bent on the destruction of the Federation. And I was underwhelmed. The movies look pretty, but they're almost purely action flicks. The second one was probably the most interesting, because it's the only one where characters have more than the most obvious of motives.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Jul 2017, 11:52

JD wrote:Over the holiday weekend we watched all of the new Trek movies, because we could get them for free. I think I'd seen the first one when it first came out, but I hadn't seen the other two.

The first thing I noticed is that the plot for all three is basically exactly the same: they face off against an alien warlord who is bent on the destruction of the Federation. And I was underwhelmed. The movies look pretty, but they're almost purely action flicks. The second one was probably the most interesting, because it's the only one where characters have more than the most obvious of motives.
The second had the least uninteresting plot line. The third had the best character interactions.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Jul 2017, 03:18

Overall I really enjoy the Klingon Civil War storyline in TNG except for one glaring problem. Somewhere along the line the decision was made to kill K'Ehleyr and keep Alexander because what the show really needed was fewer strong interesting women and more twerpy little kids.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 09 Jul 2017, 02:51

Keiko's wedding space kimono from "Data's Day".

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 09 Jul 2017, 10:15

MeTV re-ran Balance of Terror last night. Every single shot seemed to use the "band of light cast across the eyes while everything else is under-lit" lighting, much more than I remember from other episodes. As well as prominent wide angle close ups on Spock.

While one of the great episodes, it's always annoyed the crap out of me that they fire "phasers" that are actually torpedoes.

Redone cgi was annoying as always.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 12 Jul 2017, 14:29

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 15 Jul 2017, 09:11

Hugh Akston wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 02:51
Keiko's wedding space kimono from "Data's Day".
Oh man they loved that fucking 90s rainbow fabric.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 15 Jul 2017, 09:15

nicole wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 06:48
dbcooper wrote:There was the Ferengi scientist's "metaphasic shields" episode.

There was also the one where she was psychically linked to Picard.
Yeah I like the Ferengi shield one a lot.
Even in season six Crusher was looking very pert. Definitely my first choice doctor upon arriving in the 24th century (the Enterprise is the only possibility for discovering that particular spacial anomaly).

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 17 Jul 2017, 07:12

Good to see Dr. Phlox turn up on Twin Peaks as one Dr. Ben.

nicole

Post by nicole » 17 Jul 2017, 08:28

Were Ben Horne and Leland Palmer the only Twin Peaks/Trek crossovers from the original?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 17 Jul 2017, 15:11

Nah, there were quite a few more. Miguel Ferrer and Madchen Amick were two.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 Jul 2017, 17:52

Finally saw the JJ Abrams movies, and (at least regarding the first two) agree with what Jeff said about them: they're good science fiction movies, but not very good Star Trek movies.

The third movie was just boring.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 26 Jul 2017, 01:00

I'm watching "Parallels" -- the TNG episode where Worf keeps switching between different alternate universes -- I actually kinda like the episode, expect IMO it takes Worf faaaar longer than it should've to figure out what was going on. If I were on the Enterprise (especially by season 7) that would be my FIRST guess -- "Hmm, did I misplace my car keys? Possibly, but more likely I've been shunted into an alternate reality where my keys are kept in a different location."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 26 Jul 2017, 02:50

Jennifer wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 01:00
I'm watching "Parallels" -- the TNG episode where Worf keeps switching between different alternate universes -- I actually kinda like the episode, expect IMO it takes Worf faaaar longer than it should've to figure out what was going on. If I were on the Enterprise (especially by season 7) that would be my FIRST guess -- "Hmm, did I misplace my car keys? Possibly, but more likely I've been shunted into an alternate reality where my keys are kept in a different location."
At some point, you wait for the episode where they reveal that someone literally cursed the Enterprise D, years ago.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Jul 2017, 17:15

Eric the .5b wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 02:50
Jennifer wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 01:00
At some point, you wait for the episode where they reveal that someone literally cursed the Enterprise D, years ago.
I've been on a TOS and TNG novelization kick lately, and in one of the TNG novels I've read in the past couple weeks (can't recall which one, since they all tend to blur together), the writer actually played around with that a bit: the subplot was that the Enterprise had to take Eminent Scientific Researcher to some backwater part of the galaxy for her experiment in temporal technobabble, and she said something like "You know, I was hoping the Enterprise would be the ship ordered to take me, because most Federation starships go their entire existences only encountering one temporal anomaly at most, but you guys run into them almost as frequently as other people catch a cold!"

nicole

Post by nicole » 31 Jul 2017, 19:53

Why didn't anyone tell me how fanservicey Enterprise is?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 31 Jul 2017, 21:59

:x
nicole wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 19:53
Why didn't anyone tell me how fanservicey Enterprise is?
Were they warning you how much it sucked instead?
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Aug 2017, 01:57

Some interesting camerawork in the time loop episode of TNG. A tracking shot and a crane shot in the observation lounge and the poker table, and a random shakycam in Dr. Crusher's quarters. Frakes did a good job of playing around with the visuals so the repetitive scenes didn't become boring.

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Aug 2017, 23:31

Thank You! This is the shit that threatens to burst my veins.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 08 Aug 2017, 01:45

Warren, repeat to yourself: "it's just a show, I should really just relax"

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Aug 2017, 01:59

Hugh Akston wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 01:45
Warren, repeat to yourself: "it's just a show, I should really just relax"
I want to show the maker of that video one special-effects clip Blake's 7 reused a few times, showing the Liberator zooming through a maze of planets that were apparently even smaller than that and ridiculously close together. (I think they made a joke of it later by having a pilot fly in a simulator scenario that looked similar to that shot, but that was meant to be intentionally ridiculous and difficult.)

But, then, space scenes almost never get the scale of space right. They involve things much bigger and farther apart than we have common references for.

ETA: And I just realized that the premiere of ST: Voyager was closer to the finale of Blakes 7 than the finale of Voyager was to today.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 08 Aug 2017, 21:03

Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer