Star Trek Wankery

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Star Trek Wankery

Post by Sandy » 19 Jun 2017, 12:16

There's a feed that summarizes TOS series episodes with technical accuracy but nothing else, and it's hilarious. But I can't find it. :-/
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Jun 2017, 19:15

Man, I'd forgotten how thoroughly unlikable Dr. Pulaski's first few appearances were written to be. I read someplace that the writers' original idea was to have the "her vs. Data" friction be a rehash of "McCoy vs. Spock" from TOS -- normal human ribbing emotionless Vulcan, ha ha ha -- except Spock/McCoy presumably had some actual history first, plus Data never did any Spock-style "You humans with your human emotions are so utterly illogical" stuff -- Data actually wanted to understand and experience human emotions, but couldn't.

By the time the writers started making Pulaski mellow out a bit, it was too late.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Jun 2017, 20:25

She was written poorly sure. But so was most of the cast at that time. Diana Muldaur is just unlikable IMO. Though I do think I could have saved her character in S02E09 The Measure of a Man. But OTOH the worst thing that could have happened to TNG would be if Gates McFadden didn't return in season three.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 19 Jun 2017, 21:17

I liked her in episode 7 "Unnatural Selection" because she and Picard actually had a little spat about regulations. I also liked that she was yet another notch on the Riker family bedpost. Little moments of character from an otherwise unlikable presence.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 19 Jun 2017, 21:23

I always forget that she didn't die by falling to her death down an open turbolift shaft.

I'm all about the deep cuts.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Jun 2017, 21:27

Warren wrote:She was written poorly sure. But so was most of the cast at that time. Diana Muldaur is just unlikable IMO.
Everyone was written poorly, but they weren't written to be unlikable. And I don't think it was anything to do with MUldaur; it was the really nasty attitude Pulaski was written to have toward Data that was the problem. If my dearly beloved Jeff played that role I'd be just as pissed off: "Hey, Pulaski, quit being such an asshole to Data."

The hell of it is that in everything else, Pulaski was written to be a decent person -- in that ridiculous episode "The Child" (Troi's immaculate-conception alien-baby pregnancy), Pulaski violated protocol by going on board and not immediately introducing herself to Picard -- but with very good cause, because she was tending to Troi's mysterious medical problem. Which is a good trait for a doctor to have, IMO: "I'll violate protocol and maybe even risk my career because I have a patient who is in immediate need of my help, and that matters more than protocol and career." But any likability points the character would gain by that were squandered by her more-or-less bullying Data. (And yes, Data has no feelings and thus cannot have them hurt, but his friends can damned well take umbrage on his behalf.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 20 Jun 2017, 00:15

She was lost to me in a ready room debate where she said, "but that doesn't invalidate the *feeling*!" in response to a factual claim. That's a great attitude for Troi to have as she's counseling Howlin' Mad Murdock on his neuroses, but it's shit for a medical doctor trying to argue for some decision that actually affects people who aren't having a feels attack.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Jun 2017, 16:22

Sandy wrote:She was lost to me in a ready room debate where she said, "but that doesn't invalidate the *feeling*!" in response to a factual claim. That's a great attitude for Troi to have as she's counseling Howlin' Mad Murdock on his neuroses, but it's shit for a medical doctor trying to argue for some decision that actually affects people who aren't having a feels attack.
I just saw that episode yesterday -- the one where Data has been in radio communication with a little alien girl whose people have not yet discovered extraterrestrial life, and their entire planet is in danger of being destroyed by massive tectonic activity. Pulaski's argument was indeed stupid -- but IMO, those arguing for the Prime Directive in ignoring the planet and letting its entire population be wiped out were pretty stupid too. (Then again, there already are many instances where the Prime Directive is indeed stupid if not outright immoral -- yes to the idea "We shouldn't visit a primitive people and introduce them to technologies or ideas centuries ahead of where they already are, but fuck no to the idea 'If the population is facing literal extinction because they lack the technology to save themselves, the best thing to do is let them die.'")

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 24 Jun 2017, 23:28

It also contradicts a lot of episodes before and after that where it ain't no thing to save some people without violating the Prime Directive.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Jun 2017, 20:03

Eric the .5b wrote:It also contradicts a lot of episodes before and after that where it ain't no thing to save some people without violating the Prime Directive.
Not to mention that in this particular episode, the Enterprise was able to save the day (and the planet) by doing something which the native populace didn't even notice -- the massive earthquakes were caused by the planet's huge deposits of dilithium crystals reacting with equally huge deposits of something else, thus causing cause earthquakes and vulcanism, but the Enterprise was able to fix it by firing a (something something) ray from orbit, thus preventing the dilithium from doing whatever-it-did. From the perspective of the native population, what happened was "We started getting a LOT of bad earthquakes and volcanoes; then, finally, they stopped, thank goodness." No alien intervention involved either way.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 26 Jun 2017, 03:18

Headward, free now to rise.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 27 Jun 2017, 10:03

Star Trek Beyond was... something.

The most interesting parts, to me, were the little conversations at the beginning and end showing the evolution of the characters relationships. The 90+ minutes in the middle were tedious.
"Yeah, it seems a bit like pinning Timothy McVeigh on the KKK. Sure their OK Cupid profiles match 100%, but they never went on the date." - Shem

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 28 Jun 2017, 14:50

https://twitter.com/tossynopsis

Example:
S1E16: #TOS Scotty electrocutes Bigfoot. Government bureaucrats are still jerks in the 23rd century.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 02 Jul 2017, 06:00

Oh man, it's nu-metal Wesley.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 02 Jul 2017, 13:54

I didn't see the comment at first and my reaction was something like "who's the goof with the black ha-OMG that's Wesley Crusher." Evil universe indeed.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 Jul 2017, 15:13

Individual comic books are too expensive for me to even consider buying a multi-volume story, but if they later put all the mirror-universe issues together into a single volume I'd definitely consider buying it; the one TNG mirror-universe novelization I read was very good (even if the premise does fall apart if you think about it for more than .003 seconds).

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Jul 2017, 17:42

Jennifer wrote:Individual comic books are too expensive for me to even consider buying a multi-volume story, but if they later put all the mirror-universe issues together into a single volume I'd definitely consider buying it; the one TNG mirror-universe novelization I read was very good (even if the premise does fall apart if you think about it for more than .003 seconds).
The mirror universe is just weird and nonsensical. But fun.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 05 Jul 2017, 02:30

Was there ever a good Crusher-centric episode? I just saw the one where she got trapped in the pocket universe, and it's not that great. The only other ones I can remember off hand are the one where she hooked up with the Riker Trill and the one where she hooked up with the space ghost, both of which were kind of meh. Surely there had to have been a decent episode for her.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 05 Jul 2017, 02:35

There was the Ferengi scientist's "metaphasic shields" episode.

There was also the one where she was psychically linked to Picard.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

nicole

Post by nicole » 05 Jul 2017, 06:48

dbcooper wrote:There was the Ferengi scientist's "metaphasic shields" episode.

There was also the one where she was psychically linked to Picard.
Yeah I like the Ferengi shield one a lot.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 05 Jul 2017, 08:20

Both good calls

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Jul 2017, 21:47

Finally saw the two-part Captian Jellico episode last night. (Oddly enough, I remember Picard tortured by the Cardassians from when I first watched the TNG series a decade ago, but forgot all about Jellico.)

Jellico's behavior strikes me as being rather counterproductive: okay, you're worried because there's a good chance your ship might go from peacetime to war very very soon -- so you decide the best way to prepare is to completely shake everything up and wreck crew morale? Some of his demanded changes did make sense in context -- okay, Geordi, make the unobtanium ray gun more powerful than it already is, just in case we need to start shooting -- but WTF was the presumed point of switching from a three-shift to four-shift schedule? Right as you're trying to prepare for a war, no less? Do that shit in peacetime, when it doesn't matter so much if the crew morale goes into the toilet for a few days.

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Jul 2017, 22:11

Jellico was the closest thing to an actual naval officer in the whole franchise.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 05 Jul 2017, 22:35

Jennifer wrote:Right as you're trying to prepare for a war, no less? Do that shit in peacetime, when it doesn't matter so much if the crew morale goes into the toilet for a few days.
Because the immediate preparation for, and the subsequent going to, war is its own morale boost. At least until reality sets in.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 06 Jul 2017, 06:37

Ronnie Cox and Brent Spinner saved that two parter, when otherwise Bev Crusher and terrible plot contrivances would have ruined it.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex