Star Trek Wankery

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Hugh Akston

Re: Star Trek Wankery

Post by Hugh Akston » 14 Jun 2017, 08:34

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Jun 2017, 09:58

Jennifer: mind you, your rational degree of paranoia would scale in tends of how likely a target you are. Kind of like how I don't think the FBI is following and monitoring me, even though they absolutely could be, because I'm of no interest to them. Your average North American indie journalist in the TNG era probably isn't much of a subversion target for the Tal Shiar. Starfleet personnel, however, should probably get into that whole "documented life" thing, including vacation selfies using cameras with enough sensory bandwidth that someone can detect holograms after-the-fact.

...And I feel terribly geeky for remembering the name of a fictional civilization's fictional government's fictional intelligence agency after at least a decade and a half.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

nicole

Post by nicole » 14 Jun 2017, 10:09

You should only feel *terribly* geeky if you didn't have to check the correct spelling.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Jun 2017, 10:21

nicole wrote:You should only feel *terribly* geeky if you didn't have to check the correct spelling.
Eh, I checked, but only because I thought, "Wait, 'Shiar' is Marvel..."

*waits for it*
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Jun 2017, 10:39

The Tal Shiar doesn't conduct any serious operations within the UFP. Most of what is attributed to them (which they sometimes claim/accept responsibility for) are actually false flag operations of Section 31.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 14 Jun 2017, 15:36

Eric the .5b wrote:
nicole wrote:You should only feel *terribly* geeky if you didn't have to check the correct spelling.

*waits for it*
Are you waiting for someone to point out that the Marvel Shi'ar have an apostrophe?

nicole

Post by nicole » 14 Jun 2017, 15:42

Jadagul wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:

*waits for it*
Are you waiting for someone to point out that the Marvel Shi'ar have an apostrophe?
Yeah, if it's about comic books I hope no one is waiting for me because I'm not going to get it.

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Jun 2017, 21:24

Jadagul wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:

*waits for it*
Yes. :)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 Jun 2017, 21:55

Ugh. Currently watching today's H&I airing of "Darmok." Not my least-favorite TNG episode -- but my least-favorite episode for which many other show fans will disagree and say "No, this episode was great!"
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 14 Jun 2017, 22:41

It's grown on me over the years, no doubt because the fan zeitgeist about it has influenced me in a positive way.

It does take an idea that was not even new for Star Trek at that point in an entirely new and somewhat innovative direction.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 15 Jun 2017, 14:34

Best would be if you confused the Obsidian Order and the Tal Shiar, and someone acted like that was beyond the pale.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Jun 2017, 15:12

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Best would be if you confused the Obsidian Order and the Tal Shiar, and someone acted like that was beyond the pale.
Then I have reached the highest rank of terrible geek. Conflating Romulans and Cardassians is without question beyond the pale.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 15 Jun 2017, 21:20

When "Skin of Evil" (Tasha Yar's death) first aired, did viewers know in advance "In the next episode of Star Trek: the Next Generation, a major non-redshirt character is going to die," or did it come as a complete surprise to the audience?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway » 15 Jun 2017, 21:37

Jennifer wrote:When "Skin of Evil" (Tasha Yar's death) first aired, did viewers know in advance "In the next episode of Star Trek: the Next Generation, a major non-redshirt character is going to die," or did it come as a complete surprise to the audience?
My recollection is that everyone knew someone was going to die, and I think it might even have been that everyone knew that Tasha Yar would die.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 15 Jun 2017, 22:26

GODDAMN but BBC slices the fuck out of these episodes! Wasn't there a scene at the end of "Skin of Evil", after Tasha's good-bye message, where Data says something like "I don't think I'm doing this 'mourning' thing right; instead of thinking about Tasha, I'm only thinking about how empty my existence will be without her" and then Picard or someone else says "No, Data, that's exactly right?" And didn't Tasha's good-bye message to data include the line "Data: it did happen?" Not in the BBC airing.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 15 Jun 2017, 22:40

Jennifer wrote:When "Skin of Evil" (Tasha Yar's death) first aired, did viewers know in advance "In the next episode of Star Trek: the Next Generation, a major non-redshirt character is going to die," or did it come as a complete surprise to the audience?
I recall a story in TV Guide or another magazine before the episode aired, with Crosby saying, "Hey, it won't be a horrific death" or something like that.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Jun 2017, 11:27

It was a surprise to me. Took the show to the next level as far as I was concerned.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Jun 2017, 13:58

I'm kind of curious why the remastered TOS episodes have special effects that are dramatically changed to look like mediocre mid-90s CGI, with entirely different compositions and activity for a lot of shots, even replacing things like a physical chronometer with a CGI version, while the remastered TNG episodes have carefully, lovingly adjusted effects that just make things look sharper and more detailed.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 18 Jun 2017, 16:50

Eric the .5b wrote:I'm kind of curious why the remastered TOS episodes have special effects that are dramatically changed to look like mediocre mid-90s CGI, with entirely different compositions and activity for a lot of shots, even replacing things like a physical chronometer with a CGI version, while the remastered TNG episodes have carefully, lovingly adjusted effects that just make things look sharper and more detailed.
I was just watching "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" the other day, whichever version is on Netflix, and I was so annoyed by the obvious and poorly integrated CGI shuttle craft I had to turn it off. Has there been more than one "enhanced" version made? I could swear seeing a version on tv in maybe the 90s or early 00s that was enhanced but was more subtle about it, but it's also possible maybe I only caught episodes where it wasn't so obvious or I'm misremembering because I'm old.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 18 Jun 2017, 17:59

dead_elvis wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:I'm kind of curious why the remastered TOS episodes have special effects that are dramatically changed to look like mediocre mid-90s CGI, with entirely different compositions and activity for a lot of shots, even replacing things like a physical chronometer with a CGI version, while the remastered TNG episodes have carefully, lovingly adjusted effects that just make things look sharper and more detailed.
I was just watching "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" the other day, whichever version is on Netflix, and I was so annoyed by the obvious and poorly integrated CGI shuttle craft I had to turn it off. Has there been more than one "enhanced" version made? I could swear seeing a version on tv in maybe the 90s or early 00s that was enhanced but was more subtle about it, but it's also possible maybe I only caught episodes where it wasn't so obvious or I'm misremembering because I'm old.
It looks like they tried to recreate the simplicity of the original designs but didn't compensate for the original film weirdness that tended to blur things and give the original effects a kind of hazy darkness. The CGI, on the other hand, is way too brightly lit and so sticks out like a sore thumb. The ship for instance in the originals feels larger because the details are there but obscured and blurry. To a human eye that often indicates something of a large size that is at a great distance. Without that the ship can look small and model-like even when CGI.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 18 Jun 2017, 22:17

Hugh Akston wrote:The episode descriptions on Netflix read like the copywriter quit watching after the captain's log.
I remember Stargate SG-1 on Amazon being the same way. The episode description was often just a summary of the cold open.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 19 Jun 2017, 10:39

Ellie wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:The episode descriptions on Netflix read like the copywriter quit watching after the captain's log.
I remember Stargate SG-1 on Amazon being the same way. The episode description was often just a summary of the cold open.
I'm sort of torn between starting a blog that rewrites episode descriptions properly, or one that just takes the premise to its absurd conclusion.
TNG Episode 03x01 "Evolution": Wesley Crusher wakes up in a puddle of his own drool.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Jun 2017, 10:53

dead_elvis wrote:I was just watching "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" the other day, whichever version is on Netflix, and I was so annoyed by the obvious and poorly integrated CGI shuttle craft I had to turn it off. Has there been more than one "enhanced" version made? I could swear seeing a version on tv in maybe the 90s or early 00s that was enhanced but was more subtle about it, but it's also possible maybe I only caught episodes where it wasn't so obvious or I'm misremembering because I'm old.
I don't know about enhanced, but I recall a remastering in the 90s, when SFC was airing episodes and I got to see more than the ten or so episodes syndication would show around here.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 19 Jun 2017, 11:44

dead_elvis wrote:I could swear seeing a version on tv in maybe the 90s or early 00s that was enhanced but was more subtle about it, but it's also possible maybe I only caught episodes where it wasn't so obvious or I'm misremembering because I'm old.
A little of the being old, but maybe because you saw the previous one in SD and this one in HD? SD on a CRT is going to hide a lot of differences that HD on an LED display won't.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 19 Jun 2017, 12:07

Hugh Akston wrote:
Ellie wrote:
I'm sort of torn between starting a blog that rewrites episode descriptions properly, or one that just takes the premise to its absurd conclusion.
TNG Episode 03x01 "Evolution": Wesley Crusher wakes up in a puddle of his own drool.
I vote for the latter since Memory Alpha already exists.