Star Trek Wankery

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lunchstealer

Re: Star Trek Wankery

Post by lunchstealer »

But we've got Skyrim, where you basically fight Khaless on top of an active volcano while heavy metal music plays out of nowhere and yet right now I'm using the same hardware to play Civilization VI, which is the contemporary equivalent of going to the Holodeck to do a miniature tabletop reenactment of the Alamo.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

You also don't have to share one of four Playstations with the other 1,000+ people on the ship who want to play.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Hugh Akston wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 15:06
You also don't have to share one of four Playstations with the other 1,000+ people on the ship who want to play.
Just cram everybody into one holodeck and then have it simulate enough holodecks for everybody!
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Ellie wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 15:38
Hugh Akston wrote:
Just cram everybody into one holodeck and then have it simulate enough holodecks for everybody!
You want everyone to catch the beerhiv?

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Ellie wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 15:38
Hugh Akston wrote:
...Well, if the holodeck can simulate people being further away from each other than the relatively small rooms we see when they're turned off (and they do that all the time), then the holodeck essentially does simulate more than one place at once. So it totally should be able to do that, at least up to the point that everyone's packed into little spheres of simulated world about 3 meters in diameter, and those spheres are packed just tight enough to allow rotating anyone out at short notice. (Or they could just beam people out, it being Star Trek.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

dbcooper wrote:
19 May 2020, 02:05
https://youtu.be/TwF1iri1GjQ

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

lunchstealer wrote:
19 May 2020, 02:09
dbcooper wrote:
Thanks for fixing the link.

It's the Plinkett review.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

dbcooper wrote:
19 May 2020, 02:49
lunchstealer wrote:
19 May 2020, 02:09
dbcooper wrote:
Thanks for fixing the link.

It's the Plinkett review.
Shit I meant to also say that. Also damn I really wish that PHPBB would get off their asses and fix the youtube embeds.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Probably the most accurate comment on that show was that much of it was at CW Network level quality and tone.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

dbcooper wrote:
19 May 2020, 03:08
Probably the most accurate comment on that show was that much of it was at CW Network level quality and tone.
CW was formed by the unholy union of WB and UPN, the latter of which was literally birthed by Star Trek Voyager, so this is pretty much right down the strike zone for Trek.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Garret Wang and Robert Duncan McNeil are hosting a new podcast where they watch and discuss every episode of VOY.
Last edited by Hugh Akston on 26 May 2020, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote:
26 May 2020, 14:28
Garret Wang and Robert Duncan McNeil are hosting a new podcast where they watch and discuss every episode of VOY.
fix link pls
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

That should do it

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Hugh Akston wrote:
mrs lunch thanks you for the heads-up, as that's her first Trek and her favorite. We're trying again at a watch-through of DS9. I got irritated with the Dominion plot line, because I really actually kind of dug the Maquis/Bajor/Cardassian story lines because of how hard it was for the Federation to handle, and the Dominion was too much of a straight bad guy a la Borg/Klingons/Romulans/etc. It didn't contrast well with the more interesting moral dimensions of B5. Apparently it got better again later, but I had moved on by then.

When I'm working or otherwise occupied, she's side-binging TNG, and is now coming to understand what I really mean when I compare something to season 1 of TNG.

ETA: I'm not a con guy but mrs lunch really likes getting autographs and meeting actors of shows she likes, and Garret Wang was super nice when we talked to him. A little self-aggrandizing as actors can be, but still super enthusiastic and genuinely happy to talk to fans one-on-one. I didn't get to meet her but mrs lunch also had great things to say about Kate Mulgrew, who at least managed to feign being genuinely touched by something mrs lunch said to her about what VOY and a female captain meant to her - I forget the details but something to do with changing her post-fundamentalist-upbringing-worldview while being an unexpectedly single mom.

Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote:
26 May 2020, 17:58
We're trying again at a watch-through of DS9. I got irritated with the Dominion plot line, because I really actually kind of dug the Maquis/Bajor/Cardassian story lines because of how hard it was for the Federation to handle, and the Dominion was too much of a straight bad guy a la Borg/Klingons/Romulans/etc. It didn't contrast well with the more interesting moral dimensions of B5.
Agreed
lunchstealer wrote:
Apparently it got better again later
It did! But the series ending was wretched. Not, you know GOT bad, but almost as bad as Battlestar Galactica.
lunchstealer wrote:
I'm not a con guy but mrs lunch really likes getting autographs and meeting actors of shows she likes, and Garret Wang was super nice when we talked to him. A little self-aggrandizing as actors can be, but still super enthusiastic and genuinely happy to talk to fans one-on-one. I didn't get to meet her but mrs lunch also had great things to say about Kate Mulgrew, who at least managed to feign being genuinely touched by something mrs lunch said to her about what VOY and a female captain meant to her - I forget the details but something to do with changing her post-fundamentalist-upbringing-worldview while being an unexpectedly single mom.
I don't go for celebrity fanboying, collecting autographs and such, just not for me. I might want to have lunch with certain actors, but waiting in line to pay twenty bucks for an autograph and a selfie? No thanks. That being said, I do envy her getting to talk to Kate. Best Starfleet Captain ever.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote:
26 May 2020, 19:29
lunchstealer wrote:
We're trying again at a watch-through of DS9. I got irritated with the Dominion plot line, because I really actually kind of dug the Maquis/Bajor/Cardassian story lines because of how hard it was for the Federation to handle, and the Dominion was too much of a straight bad guy a la Borg/Klingons/Romulans/etc. It didn't contrast well with the more interesting moral dimensions of B5.
Agreed
lunchstealer wrote:
Apparently it got better again later
It did! But the series ending was wretched. Not, you know GOT bad, but almost as bad as Battlestar Galactica.
lunchstealer wrote:
I'm not a con guy but mrs lunch really likes getting autographs and meeting actors of shows she likes, and Garret Wang was super nice when we talked to him. A little self-aggrandizing as actors can be, but still super enthusiastic and genuinely happy to talk to fans one-on-one. I didn't get to meet her but mrs lunch also had great things to say about Kate Mulgrew, who at least managed to feign being genuinely touched by something mrs lunch said to her about what VOY and a female captain meant to her - I forget the details but something to do with changing her post-fundamentalist-upbringing-worldview while being an unexpectedly single mom.
I don't go for celebrity fanboying, collecting autographs and such, just not for me. I might want to have lunch with certain actors, but waiting in line to pay twenty bucks for an autograph and a selfie? No thanks. That being said, I do envy her getting to talk to Kate. Best Starfleet Captain ever.
Yeah, it's her thing, not mine, definitely.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote:
Fuuuu.... I can't take any more of Bob's White Guilt.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Warren wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 12:27
Hugh Akston wrote:
Ensign Kim was the VOY version of Kenny.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Aresen wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 16:09
Warren wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 12:27
Hugh Akston wrote:
Ensign Kim was the VOY version of Kenny.
Garrett is way more forgiving. That's what makes White Lefties so insufferable. They are obsessed with expressing outrage over stuff the actual aggrieved party is more chill about.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I have some concerns.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

lunchstealer wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 21:26
I have some concerns.

?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Archer appears to have joined Starfleet.

I think it's a short trek, but I kind of can't see past H. Jon Benjamin in a science division insignia.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Sudden thought, apropos of nothing: since Starfleet/the Federation (at least for TOS/TNG, and what little of the DS9 canon I know) is based on Earth and uses "Earth standard" for various things (including, presumably, a 24-hour "day/night" cycle on starships and space stations) -- have there ever been episodes exploring the idea "this particular species doesn't do well crewing a ship alongside humans -- not due to personality conflicts or different atmosphere/pressure needs, but because humans (and presumably a lot of human-with-weird-forehead species in the Federation), are accustomed to regularly sleeping at intervals of anywhere from six to nine hours every 24. But THIS species' home planet has a 74-hour rotation, and they evolved to sleep in a 20- to 24-hour chunk, then stay awake the remaining 50 to 54 hours, and these differing biological sleep-pattern needs made it impossible for them to work what would be considered a "normal schedule" by human standards."

Even with schedules adjusted, so that the "74-hour" people end up working the same number of hours/shifts per week as do the "24-hour" people, there would still be issues of (for lack of a better term) "unit cohesion": from the perspective of a human or any other 24-hour person -- maybe one of the lower-engineering staff, who rarely work directly under Geordi himself, but are on the Enterprise night shift under the night-shift supervisor -- where your colleagues are concerned there are your fellow 24-hour people, whom you see every day (except for when one is on vacation or in sickbay), but the 74-people (through no fault of their own) aren't there as often: sometimes they're absent from your shift (though you know they're not "shirking"; they're in their regular "nighttime" sleep cycle, and they'll pick up some other shifts while you and the other 24-hour people on your shift are asleep)... if nothing else, the 74-hour people won't be able to have the same amount of interpersonal connection-time with their same-shift colleagues, in a schedule primarily made for the 24-hour people.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

I think some of the paperback novels of the 80s dealt with this. In the case of Spock, for instance, Vulcans slept much less than humans, so normally he would just meditate in his off time in his quarters (which were kept at a higher temp and higher gravity than the common areas of the ship)

I think everyone else just dealt through a combo of medicine and accommodation.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex