Star Trek Wankery

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: Star Trek Wankery

Post by Jennifer » 02 Nov 2017, 14:18

Even if all the aforementioned examples are considered "science fiction," a typical fan in the Star Trek era wouldn't have been able to watch them most of the time. That was when people didn't even have VCRs yet (excluding a few super-rich guys who could afford major investments in home recording equipment), and there wasn't even cable TV, so if you wanted to watch TV at any given time your choices were restricted to "Whatever's airing on the three major networks, PBS, and maybe a couple of local indie stations that mostly air cheap reruns and ancient movies," so when TOS: The Original Series was first airing (or at least when those numbered Star Trek books first came out), pickings were slim indeed.

Even so, the stories in those books were so badly altered, if TOS actually did air in that form, it would've been considered crappy even by 1960s TV standards. They took those original episodes (many of which were indeed very good), then butchered them into suckitude.

My earliest childhood was in six or seven-channel TV days, and I did see Twilight Zone as a kid because a local indie station (IIRC channel 33, which a few years later became an affiliate station of the brand-new Fox Network) aired two-hour episode blocks on Saturday nights, and I felt very grown-up when, as a seven- or eight-year-old, my mother let me stay up with her on Saturdays to watch Twilight Zone.

But none of the TV stations where I grew up aired "Outer Limits," so I never saw it until a few years ago when I had my first DVR. Must've been some later episodes because they were downright awful, and I quit watching after a few tries.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Nov 2017, 14:49

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 14:03
I don't think the Prisoner or the Avengers qualify as science fiction. In the same way that James Bond or those other Avengers don't.
Are you saying Sci Fi must be in spaaaaaaaace?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 02 Nov 2017, 15:28

Warren wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 13:27
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 13:18
Jennifer wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 12:12
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 05:40
Jennifer wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 20:20
So I read a couple stories of episodes I haven't seen, and I was not impressed at all -- there were definitely some good ideas in there, but IMO they were not fleshed out nearly well enough to make for interesting stories, even by the rather low standards sci-fi fans of the 1960s would've had to settle for.
A cursory examination of the Hugo winners and Nebula awards during the 1960s demonstrate that it was a very rich period for good science fiction.
I should've specified: the low standards fans of televised science fiction would've had to settle for.
Yep. No argument there, Twilight Zone, early Outer Limits and The Prisoner aside.
The Avengers, Jonny Quest also The Jetsons and My Favorite Martian
The Avengers was a good show, but I don't consider it SF and will on similar grounds concede The Prisoner probably shouldn't be counted, either. Johnny Quest was one of those Saturday Morning cartoon shows, if I recall and that's all I recall about it. The Jetsons didn't even try to be science fiction, it was just The Flintstones with flying cars; that is, the stories never dealt with any scientific themes or speculation beyond "everyond gets everything done by pushing a button." I liked My Favorite Martian although, again, it was really just your basic sitcom with Martin being able to turn invisible and pull a few more tricks.

There were other science fiction shows in the 60s, e.g., My Living Doll, Lost In Space,, The Time Tunnel and quite a few more, actually, but for the most part they were rubbish.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 07 Dec 2017, 21:51

Normally I'd be skeptical as Tarantino seems to like to talk about making films more than actually making them at times, but if that kind of money is behind him you have to believe that it's going to get made. Although the whole thing does kind of sounds like an idea for an SNL skit.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 08 Dec 2017, 23:08

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Jan 2018, 21:18

Saw the "Spock's Brain" episode for the first time.

Ugh.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b