Open wide for some soccer!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
nicole

Re: Open wide for some soccer!

Post by nicole » 08 Jul 2014, 16:26

Best. Game. Ever.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 08 Jul 2014, 16:28

4 nil, has the game been hacked by German 4-chan?
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Jul 2014, 16:31

nicole wrote:If Brazil had learned the true meaning of offsides, Germany would never have gotten that corner.

Fucking sweet.
What. Is. Happening. I am just getting ESPN gamecast. Did germany score 3 more times in 3 minutes?

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Jul 2014, 16:33

JasonL wrote:
nicole wrote:If Brazil had learned the true meaning of offsides, Germany would never have gotten that corner.

Fucking sweet.
What. Is. Happening. I am just getting ESPN gamecast. Did germany score 3 more times in 3 minutes?
YES! OMGEE

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 08 Jul 2014, 16:44

This must be some pretty clumsy match fixing.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 08 Jul 2014, 16:47

dbcooper wrote:This must be some pretty clumsy match fixing.
5 to 0? Sounds like the fix is in, boys!

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 08 Jul 2014, 17:02

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Jul 2014, 17:50

7 - 1 (Brazil scores in the 90th minute.)

Sounds like a baseball score. Is that the most goals by one team thus far in the tournament?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Jul 2014, 18:04

That's more goals than probably the majority of the teams got in the entire tournament.

ETA: 8 teams (including Germany) had scored 7 or more goals in the tournament. Columbia, Netherlands (12 each), Germany Brazil France (10 each), Argentina (8), Algeria and Switzerland (7 each).

24 teams scored 6 or fewer.
Last edited by Highway on 08 Jul 2014, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Jul 2014, 18:06

So is it over yet?
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Jul 2014, 18:22

Now we know why Germany sent all those Germans to Brazil back in the 40s. Talk about playing the long game.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 08 Jul 2014, 18:34

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 08 Jul 2014, 20:48

"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Jul 2014, 10:17

I have never gotten the point of the 3rd place game. At least in the Olympics, you win the second best medal (bronze), but in the World Cup it's basically 90 minutes of fucking with the teams that just want to go home (or in the case of Brazil, emigrate).
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Jul 2014, 10:34

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Mo wrote:I have never gotten the point of the 3rd place game. At least in the Olympics, you win the second best medal (bronze), but in the World Cup it's basically 90 minutes of fucking with the teams that just want to go home (or in the case of Brazil, emigrate).
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 10 Jul 2014, 10:37

Mo wrote:I have never gotten the point of the 3rd place game. At least in the Olympics, you win the second best medal (bronze), but in the World Cup it's basically 90 minutes of fucking with the teams that just want to go home (or in the case of Brazil, emigrate).
Are you trying to say you don't want to watch the Netherlands kill them? Because I really, really do.

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Jul 2014, 10:38

Oh, I'm totally going to watch.

Highway

Post by Highway » 10 Jul 2014, 11:11

There was an article I read yesterday, which of course I can't find, but it talked about the Germans having to play in the 3rd place game in Germany, when they had lost the semi-final they were expected to win, much like Brazil. And in that case, they were stunned at the fan outpouring that they got as they went to the city for the 3rd place match. Tens of thousands of German fans clogged the roads from the airport, outside their hotel, basically showing up to thank them for playing. The team was uninterested in playing the game, they wondered why they had to go, but it was really a celebration and show of support from their fans.

If I can find the article I'll link it.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Jul 2014, 11:51

If Brazil lost 1-0, on PKs or even 2-0, you might see the same in Brazil. But after a 7-1 shellacking? NFW.

Highway

Post by Highway » 10 Jul 2014, 13:17

Mo wrote:If Brazil lost 1-0, on PKs or even 2-0, you might see the same in Brazil. But after a 7-1 shellacking? NFW.
Yeah, it was more making the general case for the 3rd place game, not that Brazil will be welcomed the same way.

In Brazil they'll be lucky to have anyone there who's not cheering for the Netherlands, even if they're previously Brazil supporters.

Highway

Post by Highway » 13 Jul 2014, 21:51

Giving Messi the Golden Ball was definitely a reputation giveaway. He hadn't done anything much of note the whole tournament. 4 goals, mostly in garbage time, nigh unto disappearing in the last 3 rounds. Would have been better to give it to Mascherano, or bring out Robben or even Neymar. Heck, giving it to Schweinsteiger, who got beat to hell in that final and still was sticking himself in every play, would have been better.

Speaking of Schweinsteiger, when the whole team was piled up celebrating, I was thinking "I hope he's not on the bottom of that..." and he was.

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Jul 2014, 22:06

And man, that final free kick was horrific. It was the worst possible case for Messi. Kicking it right in the goalie's gut, fine. Kick it off the post, ouch. But kick it a mile off, wtf?

And if you're going to give it to a guy in the final game, give it to Mueller. More goals and more assists for the winning team.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Aug 2014, 17:37

See, this makes it difficult to take soccer seriously.

Open wide for the hottest soccer game of the 1990s: The Sensible World of Soccer!

http://www.gog.com/game/sensible_world_of_soccer_9697
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 22 Jan 2015, 21:23

Holy shit.
Three of Fifa’s biggest sponsors on Thursday night revealed they had joined Sony and Emirates in abandoning football’s beleaguered world governing body.

Castrol, Continental and Johnson & Johnson all confirmed to Telegraph Sport that they had severed their ties with the Sepp Blatter regime when their contracts expired last year – which proved to be among the most turbulent 12 months in its scandal-hit history.

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 May 2015, 14:31

Qataris arrest BBC reporters