Open wide for some soccer!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Mo

Re: Open wide for some soccer!

Post by Mo » 27 Jun 2014, 10:03

I wonder what happens to all the Klinsmann haters that thought he should have brought Donovan along.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Jun 2014, 10:32

Mo wrote:I wonder what happens to all the Klinsmann haters that thought he should have brought Donovan along.
Would we be a better team with Altidore out if we had Donovan? That's what I keep hearing but I dunno what I'm talking about.

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Jun 2014, 10:40

JasonL wrote:
Mo wrote:I wonder what happens to all the Klinsmann haters that thought he should have brought Donovan along.
Would we be a better team with Altidore out if we had Donovan? That's what I keep hearing but I dunno what I'm talking about.
They play completely different games. Even if we could get someone who was cut from the team on, Terrence Boyd would be a better replacement for Altidore than Donovan.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Jun 2014, 10:45

Ok, so here's what I don't quite get. One of the things I don't get anyway. I gather Dempsey is not a natural striker. Maybe too short or something? Anyway, so the plan without Altidore was Dempsey taking over those duties. Is there really not another striker anywhere in America we could get?

The version of this I heard is that some people feel like Dempsey would be more effective as a striker if he could play off of Donovan not because Donovan plays like Altidore but because he facilitates in a favorable way for Dempsey who is, again, apparently not a striker. I keep thinking this is like having LeBron go out then saying okay plan B is we put another guard on the floor but still expect him to dunk over power forwards.

Highway

Post by Highway » 27 Jun 2014, 10:59

There are no US guys who are really classic strikers who are really talented that I know of (but I'm not a huge US follower, so there's probably guys I don't know). I think of Altidore more as a target man. He's not going to really create, he's going to be big, huge, muscle the ball away when you bomb it into him, and put it in the goal.

Dempsey doesn't really create opportunities like a natural striker like Robin van Persie, or Wayne Rooney, or Luis Suarez. Dempsey is really more of an attacking forward, the same kind of position Donovan plays. To name guys who are better at that position, that's more of a CR7, Messi, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard position (can you tell I watch mostly EPL yet?). Maybe putting Donovan in with Dempsey gives you a guy who takes the creating load off of Dempsey, but I don't know that he does it much better. But neither could replace a big striker. And besides, that's the way the US has played for the last 6 years or so, and it hasn't been much better.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Jun 2014, 11:08

What Highway said. Donovan would be a fine replacement for Dempsey. To use a basketball analogy, replacing Altidore with Donovan would be like replacing an injured Zach Randolph with Dirk Nowitzki because both players play power forward, even though they play completely different games and the offense flows differently through them.

ETA: To echo Highway, striker is a position of weakness for us, goalie is a area of strength for us. Two of our top 5 players are probably goalies. As good as Howard is, we probably wouldn't miss a beat if Guzan went in.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Jun 2014, 11:11

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Jun 2014, 11:30

That was a flop by the netherlands that drew the penalty. I mean, I don't know the rules all that well but it sure looked to me like dude flopped on incidental contact and was rewarded with a world cup victory.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Jun 2014, 11:34

JasonL wrote:That was a flop by the netherlands that drew the penalty. I mean, I don't know the rules all that well but it sure looked to me like dude flopped on incidental contact and was rewarded with a world cup victory.
That's the way girlie football is played.

*ducks*
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Jun 2014, 11:36

It was a foul, but he made a regular old foul look like a level 10. I can see not calling that and I can see calling that even with a "normal" reaction to the trip. The timing of it is what makes it sketchy.

nicole

Post by nicole » 30 Jun 2014, 11:36

JasonL wrote:That was a flop by the netherlands that drew the penalty. I mean, I don't know the rules all that well but it sure looked to me like dude flopped on incidental contact and was rewarded with a world cup victory.
It was an iffy call (I wouldn't say a total flop, but played for all it was worth), but the ref missed a PK call (also on a foul against Robben) at the end of the first half, and he'd had a few small similar fouls throughout, and that's part of how soccer works. You get the "cumulative" call for being a dick and having the ref miss it/go easy for most of the game.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Jun 2014, 11:38

nicole wrote:that's part of how soccer all sports works. You get the "cumulative" call for being a dick and having the ref miss it/go easy for most of the game.
FTFY. The make-up call is a thing in all sports.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Jun 2014, 11:40

Brutal consequences. If you get the call in the box and penalties ... man you are almost handing a game away. A free throw is one or two points out of 90. This is a point out of 2 total for your team.

nicole

Post by nicole » 30 Jun 2014, 11:45

Mo wrote:
nicole wrote:that's part of how soccer all sports works. You get the "cumulative" call for being a dick and having the ref miss it/go easy for most of the game.
FTFY. The make-up call is a thing in all sports.
Right.

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Jun 2014, 11:46

PI can have some brutal consequences.

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Jun 2014, 11:49

I would have loved it if France and Germany swapped opponents for today.

nicole

Post by nicole » 30 Jun 2014, 11:51

Inorite

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Jun 2014, 11:58

Yeah, agreeing that Robben should have gotten a PK for the earlier pair of fouls (that broke the mexican player's leg). The one he did get a PK for was a foul, but a lot less severe. But yeah, cumulative fouls are a thing. And you don't want to give it up, don't stick your foot in there. The defenders know about that, too.

The huge consequences for fouls in the box is why they're almost never called.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Jun 2014, 12:02

Mo wrote:I would have loved it if France and Germany swapped opponents for today.
France vs Algeria would be fun.

If France beats Nigeria and Germany beats Algeria, what better time to start the whole European wars thing all over again than the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of WW1?

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Jun 2014, 12:07

Highway wrote:The huge consequences for fouls in the box is why they're almost never called.
The thing about them is you need a punishment for it or else there would be tons more penalties in the box, but there's no way to do it in a way that's not a huge consequence.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Jun 2014, 17:26

This is more OFFS than soccer, but:

'Adios Amigos!' tweet by Dutch airline angers Mexico fans after World Cup loss

They're the Dutch National Airline. Who do you think they were going to cheer for?

As taunts go, it is pretty mild.

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Jun 2014, 17:30

People are mad because the dude in the sombrero is "racist" or some nonsense. I am sure those people have never said anyting re: wooden shoes, dikes or tulips regarding the Dutch.

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Jun 2014, 18:33

Both teams in the late game were just dead tired. If Germany hadn't gotten that second, Algeria would never have had that chance.

nicole

Post by nicole » 30 Jun 2014, 18:33

I love the AeroMexico response.

GinSlinger

Post by GinSlinger » 30 Jun 2014, 18:33

Mo wrote:People are mad because the dude in the sombrero is "racist" or some nonsense. I am sure those people have never said anyting re: wooden shoes, dikes or tulips regarding the Dutch.
Or, splitting the cost of a date.