Open wide for some soccer!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Jun 2014, 11:29

Thread for World Cup 2014. I do not get Klinsmann saying that the US cannot win. I agree with him, but from a managerial POV, it makes no sense. Acknowledging it doesn't make your job safer. If anything, it makes it less safe. Everyone knows the US got a crappy draw and the team is in transition, but you don't generally go to press like that. It may fly somewhere like Germany or England, but not in the US.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Re: Open wide for some soccer!

Post by Highway » 11 Jun 2014, 11:44

Yeah, Americans don't like being told they're not even close, even when it's realistic, and especially from 'our' guys. I think everyone who knows anything about soccer realizes that the US is at best the 3rd best team in their group, and will be really hard pressed to get out of it, even if they're a top 15 team overall.

Of course, I'd like to see Klinsman get the US out of the horrible style it's played in the last few World Cups, and personally I think leaving Donovan off the team helps with that. I know it's too much to hope for for guys like Dempsey and Altidore to get on fire and score a lot, but even if they just didn't always fall behind, that would be a lot better. I do think the US team is competitive with any at Keeper tho.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 11 Jun 2014, 12:22

Wait. The U.S. even bothers playing in the World Cup or whatever it's called? Why?

Tell me when it's over. Or better still, don't bother.

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Jun 2014, 12:27

D.A. Ridgely wrote:Wait. The U.S. even bothers playing in the World Cup or whatever it's called? Why?

There are a lot of gryllers that don't care about the NFL (or baseball) and have the sense to avoid the appropriate thread rather than to come in and pee in the pool. I recommend you do the same here.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Jun 2014, 12:28

D.A. Ridgely wrote:Wait. The U.S. even bothers playing in the World Cup or whatever it's called? Why?

+1
The US sucks at soccer because soccer isn't a game worth getting good at.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 11 Jun 2014, 12:32

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 11 Jun 2014, 12:33

Mo wrote:

There are a lot of gryllers that don't care about the NFL (or baseball) and have the sense to avoid the appropriate thread rather than to come in and pee in the pool. I recommend you do the same here.
Thanks for the tip. But just as I piss on any attempt to defend the NCAA, I pretty much piss on the Olympics threads and any other thread that involves (1) nationalism passing itself off as good clean athletic fun and (2) any sport that per se bores me. So I recommend you just ignore such comments from me rather than pique my interest enough to give me a reason to keep coming back to use the thread as a urinal over and over again.

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Jun 2014, 12:35

dbcooper wrote:Image
+168% for lax? The WASPS are breeding!

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 11 Jun 2014, 12:36

Yeah, that is weird.

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Jun 2014, 12:37

I don't understand why basketball should be the big looser. I expect football and soccer to take huge hits since the Dain Bramage revelations.
Also, the exclusion of Ultimate Frisbee from that chart makes it of little value.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 11 Jun 2014, 12:38

Warren wrote:I don't understand why basketball should be the big looser. I expect football and soccer to take huge hits since the Dain Bramage revelations.
Also, the exclusion of Ultimate Frisbee from that chart makes it of little value.
Give it a few years?

Highway

Post by Highway » 11 Jun 2014, 12:44

The US doesn't suck at soccer. As I mentioned above, they are a consistently top-15 team worldwide. Yes, if you watch MLS, and then compare to, say, the top 5 European leagues, it's a definite step down. The passing isn't as good, the overall play isn't as good. But as a national team, the US can generally hold its own. But in Group G in this World Cup, the US is facing two top 5 teams in Germany and Portugal, and a team that always plays them tough in Ghana (having knocked the US out of the last two WC). I wouldn't say that Portugal has much of a chance of winning the World Cup either, just because Brazil, Spain, Germany, and somehow Italy always plays well. I don't even think Argentina has a chance, even with Messi.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Jun 2014, 12:49

Lax makes sense, it's basically taking the violent sport mantle for parents with concerns about concussions.
Highway wrote:The US doesn't suck at soccer. As I mentioned above, they are a consistently top-15 team worldwide. Yes, if you watch MLS, and then compare to, say, the top 5 European leagues, it's a definite step down. The passing isn't as good, the overall play isn't as good. But as a national team, the US can generally hold its own. But in Group G in this World Cup, the US is facing two top 5 teams in Germany and Portugal, and a team that always plays them tough in Ghana (having knocked the US out of the last two WC). I wouldn't say that Portugal has much of a chance of winning the World Cup either, just because Brazil, Spain, Germany, and somehow Italy always plays well. I don't even think Argentina has a chance, even with Messi.
This. I like the trend of US players finally going internationally to play against top competition rather than beating up on the JV level competition in MLS bodes well long term for the quality of play. Giving Julian Green some experience is a good developmental move. I'm glad Klinsmann picked him rather than going with Donovan who just ran like a baby back to the US because he couldn't cut the mustard in Europe. Soccer in the US is teh suxxors is the, "I don't even own a TV," of sports commentary.

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Jun 2014, 12:51

Warren wrote:I don't understand why basketball should be the big looser.
One guess:

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 11 Jun 2014, 14:26

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Mo wrote:

Thanks for the tip. But just as I piss on any attempt to defend the NCAA, I pretty much piss on the Olympics threads and any other thread that involves (1) nationalism passing itself off as good clean athletic fun and (2) any sport that per se bores me. So I recommend you just ignore such comments from me rather than pique my interest enough to give me a reason to keep coming back to use the thread as a urinal over and over again.
DAR wondering why Mo is wondering why DAR is wondering why people are talking about soccer. Toss in some "Why don't you just let The MarketTM decide?" and we'll be at the Gryllularity. I think that's the point where grylliade collapses upon itself, undergoes fusion, and the whole process is mediated by an obelisk filled with psychedelic lights.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

GinSlinger

Post by GinSlinger » 11 Jun 2014, 14:30

Soccer has its own concussion concerns.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 11 Jun 2014, 17:55

GinSlinger wrote:Soccer has its own concussion concerns.
As in you have to have had several to find it worth watching? Sure, but that doesn't speak to the players' health...
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Highway

Post by Highway » 11 Jun 2014, 18:16

Warren mentioned them earlier, but there are definitely concussion and CTE injuries coming from long-term soccer play. It's lower than Hockey and Football, and maybe even baseball (where getting hit is less frequent, but more injurious), but it's definitely there.

GinSlinger

Post by GinSlinger » 11 Jun 2014, 18:22

Unless you're a woman. Women's soccer rates for 1000 athletes is higher than standard American football. I've seen mention that men's soccer rates are severely underreported and are likely close to American football.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 11 Jun 2014, 18:56

I'd wager soccer and basketball rates are skewed by a lower barrier to entry.

To play hockey, football, and to a lesser extent baseball, one needs to purchase lots of pads and equipment, whereas one only really needs a ball and some cleats for soccer and just a ball and a milk crate nailed to a telephone pole for b-ball.

As for Lacrosse, I don't have an answer other than possibly sample size and some species of privilege...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 11 Jun 2014, 19:57

There are lacrosse scholarships to be had (at Duke, to name one) and some places (like Baltimore, to name one) have seen a pretty sharp growth in interest by high school athletic departments.

tl;dr Lacrosse's image as a preppy sport is somewhat passe.

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Jun 2014, 20:52

Highway wrote:Warren mentioned them earlier, but there are definitely concussion and CTE injuries coming from long-term soccer play. It's lower than Hockey and Football, and maybe even baseball (where getting hit is less frequent, but more injurious), but it's definitely there.
Are you sure concussions from soccer is lower than hockey? I'm talking high school and college hockey, not playground and professional. I heard it was higher.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Jun 2014, 21:28

Yup. Image

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Jun 2014, 21:29

FTR cheerleading has a much higher rate than women's soccer. So it's possible women are more likely to get concussions.

And the issue with football isn't just the concussions, but the sheer volume of sub-concussive hits that a football, especially those that do lots of blocking. It's not like there's a spate of soccer players from the 70s and 80s going nuts and killing themselves.

GinSlinger

Post by GinSlinger » 11 Jun 2014, 21:56

Would we even know if soccer players of the 70s or any era were offing themselves?