Put your face on!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: Put your face on!

Post by JD » 27 May 2016, 12:46

That dude is about one notch away from telling us we're all educated stupid because we don't understand the four-dimensional nature of Face Cube.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 May 2016, 13:21

JD wrote:
That dude is about one notch away from telling us we're all educated stupid because we don't understand the four-dimensional nature of Face Cube.
No. It's verbose. But the author is correct. Shaving cream is a racket. If you use it, you should stop using it. If you stop using it, you will be happy that you did.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 27 May 2016, 16:45

Warren wrote:
JD wrote:
No. It's verbose. But the author is correct. Shaving cream is a racket. If you use it, you should stop using it. If you stop using it, you will be happy that you did.
Well, no. First, oil is, um, oily. I don't like the feel of it or how it gums up the razor blade. Now, if I'm shaving in the shower and my beard is soft enough and short enough (I pretty much only shave when I feel like doing so), then, yeah, I don't need lather or anything else to lubricate the blade.

I think aerosol cans of shaving cream are stupid in a number of ways, but I like the feel of warm shaving soap using the traditional mug and brush technique. The residue comes off with cold water and I then use an aftershave cream instead of alcohol based aftershave. The results are excellent.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 May 2016, 17:16

Edge gel works sufficiently well I don't see what the deal could possibly be. Oil on face doesn't come off and is gross.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 27 May 2016, 19:03

I have pretty much stopped using anything more than water unless things have gotten out of hand. It helps that with the beard I don't have to do the hard spots except for my adam's apple.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 May 2016, 19:30

OFFS
This is your first day of relief from shaving cream hell. Your skin is recovering. Do the same the next day. And the next. And the next. After 5 days, normalcy will be almost returned.
After a week, you can even give up the oil and use only warm water. You will find that you will be able to shave ever more swiftly and with ever more abandon. A man can shave his whole face in 20 seconds without a single abrasion.
emphasis mine.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 May 2016, 21:21

There's nothing wrong with gel. It works. Very well.

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 May 2016, 21:22

JasonL wrote:There's nothing wrong with gel. It works. Very well.
Isn't gel just foam that foams on your face instead of out of the can?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 May 2016, 21:26

Feels thicker than foam foam.

JD

Post by JD » 31 May 2016, 11:21

Warren wrote:OFFS
This is your first day of relief from shaving cream hell. Your skin is recovering. Do the same the next day. And the next. And the next. After 5 days, normalcy will be almost returned.
After a week, you can even give up the oil and use only warm water. You will find that you will be able to shave ever more swiftly and with ever more abandon. A man can shave his whole face in 20 seconds without a single abrasion.
emphasis mine.
Yeah, the part you're quoting is pretty much why most of us think he's insane. Sure, you "can" use only warm water, if you want. You can completely dry-shave if you want. But the idea that shaving cream is going to "ruin" your skin is cuckoo for cocoa puffs, nuts, bonkers. You're aware that human skin is largely waterproof, right? But shaving cream, which is little more than an oily soap, is going to "weaken your pores" (?!) and make the top layer of your skin "unresponsive" (double ?!?! What the hell does "unresponsive skin" even mean?) Is this guy a chemist or a doctor? As far as I can tell he is not. It's not clear why an oily soap would do such terrible things to your face when it doesn't seem to do awful things to the rest of your body. Or is he against all soap? He doesn't seem to be, because he never mentions it.

"But then strange things start to happen. Red lumps appear. The shaved skin comes to feel sort of strange, oddly sensitive to temperature changes and ever more vulnerable to being sliced and diced."

Oddly enough, that has never happened to me. Maybe I have super-skin unlike anybody else's on the planet. Or maybe the author is nuttier than a Baby Ruth bar, and this is his personal hobbyhorse.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 31 May 2016, 11:58

You can take my shaving oil when I can take your face.

Or you ask nicely. Or I leave some over at your place (little bottles, easy to forget). It's all good.

I need to try the exfoliating thing mentioned a year ago...
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 31 May 2016, 12:02

JD wrote:"But then strange things start to happen. Red lumps appear. The shaved skin comes to feel sort of strange, oddly sensitive to temperature changes and ever more vulnerable to being sliced and diced."

Oddly enough, that has never happened to me. Maybe I have super-skin unlike anybody else's on the planet. Or maybe the author is nuttier than a Baby Ruth bar, and this is his personal hobbyhorse.
Aside from the Morgellons-of-the-face symptoms, yeah, sometimes you get ingrown hair, but that's a shaving technique thing, not a Beware the Dangers Of Face Creaming thing.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JD

Post by JD » 04 Aug 2016, 12:47

I got some Proraso beard oil (no, it is not made from actual beards) since my beard has been a bit dry and tangled and prone to split ends lately. It's nice stuff.

dhex

Post by dhex » 04 Aug 2016, 15:29

i have many feelings on beard oil.

the best beard oil i've ever tried (scent-wise) was this

http://www.thebarbanyc.com/collections/ ... -beard-oil

but at 25 bucks an oz (i got a free sample) there's no way to justify it.

this is also nice - i got a bottle for 12 bucks at lic flea this past weekend:

https://hangslow.com/collections/beard- ... d-oil-1-0z

again too expensive.

for best value, these guys have everyone beat:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/BeardOil?section_id=13466543

3oz for 20 bucks. good scents.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 04 Aug 2016, 19:23

I never used beard oil. Does it do much?

dhex

Post by dhex » 04 Aug 2016, 20:10

since i live in a house with well water that's got more iron than a gold's gym circa 1986, yes. helps keep things soft and smooth. plus it smells nice for an appropriate amount of time (but not too long). the 3oz bottle from the etsy folk lasts me nearly half a year.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 04 Aug 2016, 22:26

dhex wrote:since i live in a house with well water that's got more iron than a gold's gym circa 1986, yes. helps keep things soft and smooth. plus it smells nice for an appropriate amount of time (but not too long). the 3oz bottle from the etsy folk lasts me nearly half a year.
Interesting, thanks! The water's softer, here, but I see guys with it, now.

nicole

Post by nicole » 11 May 2017, 14:28

Someone just asked me what eyebrow pencil I use and when I went to look it up to send a link I FOUND OUT IT HAD BEEN DISCONTINUED FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 19 Sep 2017, 10:37

LipSense is expensive and an MLM, so I want to stay far away, but so many friends of mine are raving about it I can't help but be curious. Lipstick is the one makeup item I wish I could wear way more often, but I can't be arsed to keep applying it, so long-lasting is a big deal.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Sep 2017, 10:39

Ellie wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 10:37
...but so many friends of mine...
I first read that as "but so many friends of mime"
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Sep 2017, 10:40

Does anyone rave about it who isn't also selling it? The social media mlm thing is super gross. Everyone pretends on each other's posts to be a regular customer but at 20,000 ft they are all on the hook buying from each other and being fake motivated.

nicole

Post by nicole » 19 Sep 2017, 10:41

Ellie wrote:
LipSense is expensive and an MLM, so I want to stay far away, but so many friends of mine are raving about it I can't help but be curious. Lipstick is the one makeup item I wish I could wear way more often, but I can't be arsed to keep applying it, so long-lasting is a big deal.
Have you tried stains of any kind?

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 19 Sep 2017, 11:10

No, but would be happy for a recommendation to try!
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

nicole

Post by nicole » 19 Sep 2017, 11:16

Ellie wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 11:10
No, but would be happy for a recommendation to try!
My drugstore lip stain recommendation is Revlon Just Bitten. I do find it drying so I would plan on using some type of chapstick or balm on top of it throughout the day. If you do the stain in the morning and then have a tinted balm it's especially perfect for layering, and you can keep balming all day without actually needing a mirror for it.

If you want to splurge, YSL Glossy Stain is like...unreal. But $$$.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 19 Sep 2017, 12:50

Ellie wrote:
The wife swears by it. According to her, it works like a charm and she gives it to the twirlers for game day so they don't have to keep reapplying it. I have a shitton of it sitting in a box 10 feet from me. I'll talk to the wife about sending you a sample.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL