Put your face on!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ellie

Put your face on!

Post by Ellie » 21 May 2014, 12:58

Let's talk makeup!
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

nicole

Re: Put your face on!

Post by nicole » 21 May 2014, 13:02

Ellie, I want to hear all about what you're up to with it since it's new for you (at least, based on what you've said elsewhere).

I only took up wearing makeup as an adult myself. My mom didn't do it and couldn't teach me anything. Then one day, I had a depressing bra-fitting experience, and was like, "Fuck this shit, I'm going to Sephora." And then it was all over.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 21 May 2014, 13:21

nicole wrote: (...) Then one day, I had a depressing bra-fitting experience, and was like, "Fuck this shit, I'm going to Sephora." And then it was all over.
Pics or it didn't happen...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

nicole

Post by nicole » 21 May 2014, 13:32

Taktix® wrote:
nicole wrote: (...) Then one day, I had a depressing bra-fitting experience, and was like, "Fuck this shit, I'm going to Sephora." And then it was all over.
Pics or it didn't happen...
Pics of me railing against bra designers are probably not that interesting.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 21 May 2014, 14:09

nicole wrote:Ellie, I want to hear all about what you're up to with it since it's new for you (at least, based on what you've said elsewhere).
A while back, in a fit of optimism, I went to the Estee Lauder makeup counter at Macy's and was like, "Tell me what to do." The lady walked me through some basic makeup guidelines and sold me an eyeshadow quartet with green and brown and some tinted sunscreen type face cream (not foundation per se, more for evening things out I think). Also some moisturizer that smells REALLY good but I keep forgetting to use.

I also own brown mascara which I believe dates to the Truman administration, black mascara, brown and black eyeliner, purple eyeshadow that doesn't stick well, and a couple tubes of lip gloss.

What I do right now:
Face -- tinted sunscreen thing when I remember; usually nothing.

Eyebrows -- I have crooked, sparse, light eyebrows and I try to keep them plucked into an arch-like shape. (I used to fear plucking so I would try to shave under the arch, which worked exactly as well as you think it would. :lol: ) My makeup routine is to put my ancient brown mascara on them. I don't think you're supposed to do that, but it gives them color at least, and every time I try to use eyebrow pencil they look like crazy crooked Eugene Levy caterpillars. Sometimes I try to fill them in extra with brown eyeliner but usually I do it shitty, and then have to wipe off, and redo, and suddenly I'm 45 minutes late to work.

Eyes -- curl eyelashes, put on black mascara. Sometimes eyeliner on top lid and a little on bottom lid. Occasionally green eyeshadow. The Macy's lady showed me a whole multi-color eyeshadow thing with one color in the crease and blah blah, but when I do it I just look like I got punched in the eye socket.

Lips -- nothing because I usually forget to bring the lip gloss with me, or if I do I forget to reapply throughout the day or I lose the tube, so I have given up on the mouth part of makeup.

That was boring and full of fail.

OTHER COSMETIC-WEARING PEOPLE, TELL ME YOUR ROUTINES. AND SECRETS.

Oh, also, I want to hear about people's (all genders) skin care/face wash type products and routines!

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 21 May 2014, 14:38

Ellie wrote:Oh, also, I want to hear about people's (all genders) skin care/face wash type products and routines!
um, soap & water, whatever's in the house.

(luckily my acne cleared up around the same time Bill Clinton became President)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 21 May 2014, 14:50

If you're interested in makeup, get some Kevyn Aucoin books, like
Making Faces and Face Forward. The man was not only an excellent makeup artist, he was really good at explaining what he did.

As for me, it's pretty much just a mild soap and water, although I do like some Neutrogena "Razor Defense Post Shave Lotion" since I tend towards very dry skin. I've also started using an alum block on my face after shaving, although I do not really find that it does stop cuts instantly, or that it replaces a lotion.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 21 May 2014, 15:03

My skin is a wreck. The pores on my nose are permanently clogged; the rest you can see from space. I don't know what to do about it (beyond those Biore pore strips which do NOTHING).

And then everybody I know has a Clarisonic? What IS that? Besides ass expensive?

*narrows eyes, regards perfect-skinned Grylliaders with poorly concealed resentment*

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 21 May 2014, 15:22

I've found that Alpha Hydrox and Cetaphil products come the closest to doing what they claim to do.

I've also found that Art of Shaving After-Shave Balm works better than alcohol based aftershave lotions in terms of skin irritation. I suspect, however, than just about any less expensive facial cream / balm would work as well.

Otherwise, soap and water. I don't have long enough hair to bother with shampoo, etc.

nicole

Post by nicole » 21 May 2014, 15:40

Yay for just walking in and being like, "Teach me"!

I am pretty into skincare right now so I will start with that. I have combination skin, pretty normal in winter, greasier in summer. I wash my face with either Lush Ocean Salt, Clinique face wash (more on that later), or use one of the Neutrogena or Burt's Bees wipes (normally only when traveling). I love the Ocean Salt, but that's not really for every day (except at the height of summer), and I can't use it with my off-brand Clarisonic. (Yes! Get this! For real! Olay sells one at drugstores for like $30 or something and it is SO worth it.) My favorite non-Ocean Salt face wash, which I don't have right now, is Boscia's Detoxifying Black Cleanser. That shit is the shit.

In summer I use toner almost every day, and in winter hardly ever, and my favorite toner is this ridiculously expensive shit from Dr Perricone, but again here Clinique is your friend (more later). My moisturizer is also Perricone, and I fucking swear by their Face Finishing Moisturizer. For my skin, of course. You always have to figure out the one that actually works for your skin. But I'm crazy about that stuff. Right now I use it for day cream and for night cream, but I'm also a huge fan of Clarins Multi-Active Night Youth Recovery Cream (normal to combination variety, for me). The thing about a lot of these products is that you want one that works for your face "concerns" (e.g., oiliness, redness, dullness) and also matches whatever level of anti-agingness fits you at whatever point in aging you are. I have to say that Sephora's "skincare IQ" quiz, while imperfect, is pretty good, especially if you do it in-store and can actually see how the stuff feels and smells on your hand.

I don't do much in the way of serums, but I'm very much a "product try-er" so sometimes I do. I do like the Clinique Pore Refining Solutions Correcting Serum though, which it sounds like maybe you should try out if you have some blackhead and pore issues.

On Clinique: I find they are an excellent beginner/basic brand, and also really good for folks with sensitive skin or who don't like smells and stuff. But the great thing they offer is their "3-step" solution, which is a cleanser, toner and moisturizer combo that you buy based on your skin type (they have types 1 through 4). I always suggest people who are kind of lost should try this out, because it usually works better than what they were doing before. This is also my "prescription" for L-dub and that's why I mentioned using Clinique face wash and toner sometimes above--because if I don't have my own really good stuff for my own oilier skin, the very "normal" Clinique stuff is still super safe and effective for me to use, and I'm "happy enough" with it.

I started using a face mist thing from Benefit recently which is probably totally unnecessary but fun.

On pores, blackheads, Biore strips, etc: Yes, this little journey is a fun one. When you say the Biore strips don't work, do you mean that your face still looks full of gunk afterward, or that you pull off the strip and there's actually no gunk on it? If it's the latter, you're having a mechanical problem with the pore strip that I can explain elsewhere. If it's the former, you just need more, and I'm going to guess this is the case because it's the case for most people who have any blackhead issues. But the strips are key, because you do need a physically way to pull those shits out of your face. (Boscia makes pore strips that L-dub says work WAY better for him, physically, but don't work for me at all, so if your problem is that the strip doesn't stick right, you might try them out too. They're pricier and don't work for me AT ALL though.) Anyway, you just have to attack from multiple angles here. Get the face brush, and make sure you are using a cleanser that is good for getting oil out of your pores. The Clinique Pore Serum I mentioned above is designed to stop your pores from filling up again so fast, whether that works or just seems to. And also, have some fun with face masks. I freaking love them. The peel-off masks Boscia sells are too expensive and not good enough for what they are, though they are cool, so for this I recommend only Lush. They have one non-"Fresh" face mask, which is all minty and awesome and highly recommended, but the "Fresh" ones are great too and an associate can tell you which is best for you.

ETA: The entire Boscia "black" line should be of interest to anyone with pore/blackhead/grease concerns, not that everyone will like or need every product.
Last edited by nicole on 21 May 2014, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.

nicole

Post by nicole » 21 May 2014, 15:43

D.A. Ridgely wrote:I've found that Alpha Hydrox and Cetaphil products come the closest to doing what they claim to do.

I've also found that Art of Shaving After-Shave Balm works better than alcohol based aftershave lotions in terms of skin irritation. I suspect, however, than just about any less expensive facial cream / balm would work as well.

Otherwise, soap and water. I don't have long enough hair to bother with shampoo, etc.
L-dub is also a fan of the Art of Shaving stuff, but TendSkin, which is practically 100% alcohol, has become his go-to aftershave after how highly I saw it recommended in Sephora reviews. He has sensitive, dry skin, and used to have various kinds of post-shaving irritation/infection almost every time he shaved, but he swears by this stuff even though it kinda burns.

I really like the Anthony Logistics for Men shave gel. I can't be bothered to buy actual shave gel just for myself, but that's what he uses, and so I steal it too and it's great.

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 May 2014, 15:49

I'm not a fan of the Art of Shaving stuff. The lotion is a'ight though. For my post shave ritual, I put some witch hazel as an astrigent and then I use Trumpers Skin Food (I am fond of the Coral and the Sandalwood ones). In the winter, when my skin dries like a mofo, I use L'Occitane aftershave lotion. The bottle is spendy, but you need so little that the tube lasts a long time.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

GinSlinger

Post by GinSlinger » 21 May 2014, 15:49

I am fascinated but have nothing to offer other than growing a beard helped hide some blemishes on me.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 21 May 2014, 16:27

JD wrote:If you're interested in makeup, get some Kevyn Aucoin books, like
Making Faces and Face Forward. The man was not only an excellent makeup artist, he was really good at explaining what he did.

As for me, it's pretty much just a mild soap and water, although I do like some Neutrogena "Razor Defense Post Shave Lotion" since I tend towards very dry skin. I've also started using an alum block on my face after shaving, although I do not really find that it does stop cuts instantly, or that it replaces a lotion.
Ooh, definitely going to look into those.

Been thinking about experimenting with light social makeup for a while, haven't gotten around to it yet. Every time I get mascara for stage makeup, all the girls start complaining that they're jealous of my long eyelashes, but they have basically blonde tips so you can't see them normally; I'm thinking using a bit of mascara might be helpful for me. Also maybe a touch of eyeliner.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 21 May 2014, 16:35

Jadagul wrote: I'm thinking using a bit of mascara might be helpful for me. Also maybe a touch of eyeliner.
Going for the Nestor Carbonell look?

nicole

Post by nicole » 21 May 2014, 16:36

Jadagul wrote:

Been thinking about experimenting with light social makeup for a while, haven't gotten around to it yet. Every time I get mascara for stage makeup, all the girls start complaining that they're jealous of my long eyelashes, but they have basically blonde tips so you can't see them normally; I'm thinking using a bit of mascara might be helpful for me. Also maybe a touch of eyeliner.
Don't leave François Nars off the list of people whose makeup books you want to check out. NARS 4EVA

Also, Jadagul, let me recommend FAIRYDROPS Scandal Queen mascara, as a fellow already-long-lashed person. I can tell you this would be AWESOME for stage. And real life, whatever. I fucking love it. Nothing compares 2 u, FAIRYDROPS.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 21 May 2014, 16:38

Ellie wrote:My skin is a wreck. The pores on my nose are permanently clogged; the rest you can see from space. I don't know what to do about it (beyond those Biore pore strips which do NOTHING).

And then everybody I know has a Clarisonic? What IS that? Besides ass expensive?

*narrows eyes, regards perfect-skinned Grylliaders with poorly concealed resentment*
ProActiv. Seriously The commercials ARE NOT LIES.

I somehow got through adolescence with clear skin and then around 24 my face was like "I hate you" and I got bad breakouts. Not terrible, but bad. And nothing worked.

Seriously. Get ProActiv. You can get the starter kit online for pretty cheap. My skin is awesome now, it's not only breakout free, it also looks pretty.

And don't even try to get those wannabee ProActiv imitation kits. They don't work. If you want to g-chat later I will walk you through picking out the kit.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 21 May 2014, 16:39

nicole wrote:
Jadagul wrote:

Don't leave François Nars off the list of people whose makeup books you want to check out. NARS 4EVA

Also, Jadagul, let me recommend FAIRYDROPS Scandal Queen mascara, as a fellow already-long-lashed person. I can tell you this would be AWESOME for stage. And real life, whatever. I fucking love it. Nothing compares 2 u, FAIRYDROPS.
Noted. Also, I just decided to go take a look in the mirror and see what everyone's talking about with my lashes, and holy shit, they're like twice as long as they look.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 21 May 2014, 16:41

nicole wrote:my off-brand Clarisonic. (Yes! Get this! For real! Olay sells one at drugstores for like $30 or something and it is SO worth it.)
Buuuuuuut ... *teenager sigh* Yes, ma'am!
nicole wrote: When you say the Biore strips don't work, do you mean that your face still looks full of gunk afterward, or that you pull off the strip and there's actually no gunk on it? If it's the latter, you're having a mechanical problem with the pore strip that I can explain elsewhere.
Just nothing on it at all, so I will await your explanation!

I guess I will also get a Clinique 3-step solution and work up from there?
Rachel wrote:Seriously. Get ProActiv. You can get the starter kit online for pretty cheap. My skin is awesome now, it's not only breakout free, it also looks pretty.

And don't even try to get those wannabee ProActiv imitation kits. They don't work. If you want to g-chat later I will walk you through picking out the kit.
Ahh, crazy! I assumed they were just for pimples.

nicole

Post by nicole » 21 May 2014, 16:42

Jadagul wrote:
nicole wrote:
Jadagul wrote:

Noted. Also, I just decided to go take a look in the mirror and see what everyone's talking about with my lashes, and holy shit, they're like twice as long as they look.
Makeup artists freak out when they see me. If I'm not careful with mascara it gets all over the inside of my glasses. IT'S HORRIBLE I TELL YOU.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 21 May 2014, 16:44

Rachel wrote:Seriously. Get ProActiv. You can get the starter kit online for pretty cheap. My skin is awesome now, it's not only breakout free, it also looks pretty.

Ahh, crazy! I assumed they were just for pimples.[/quote]

Oh, hm, I should have read more carefully. I'm not sure if ProActiv is a universal solution.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

nicole

Post by nicole » 21 May 2014, 16:47

Ellie wrote:
nicole wrote: When you say the Biore strips don't work, do you mean that your face still looks full of gunk afterward, or that you pull off the strip and there's actually no gunk on it? If it's the latter, you're having a mechanical problem with the pore strip that I can explain elsewhere.
Just nothing on it at all, so I will await your explanation!
Yeah, okay. The problem with these is that you have to be really careful about them drying in place and stiffening up before you move your face too much. What I do is make kind of a fish-face as I put the strip on, so it can lay nice and flat all across my nose, and then keep making the exact same fish-face until the paper starts to stiffen up. Note: not until it's totally dry, you don't have to look like a fish for the full ten minutes. But you have to wait until the strip won't move when you move your face. And I'd be careful not to be too expressive until it's all dry and you take it off. See if that helps AT ALL. If not, they may actually not work for you (because I know those Boscia ones don't for me).
Ellie wrote:I guess I will also get a Clinique 3-step solution and work up from there?
I definitely vote yes. They make like starter kits for $15 or so so you can try all three products in sizes big enough to last long enough to see how you like them.

ETA: fixed quotes

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 May 2014, 18:22

Kolohe wrote:
Ellie wrote:Oh, also, I want to hear about people's (all genders) skin care/face wash type products and routines!
um, soap & water, whatever's in the house.

(luckily my acne cleared up around the same time Bill Clinton became President)
We are a Cetaphil or CeraVe and no perfumes hydration kinda house. Of the two, I would suggest that people who like Cetaphil give CeraVe a try. It seems not only to work better for both of us who are sensitive to irritants, but it also lacks the medicinal smell.

I'm 110% in on Clinique M-gel and the wife likes one level of moisturizing up from that. No perfumes is key.

dhex

Post by dhex » 21 May 2014, 22:35

Mo wrote:I'm not a fan of the Art of Shaving stuff. The lotion is a'ight though. For my post shave ritual, I put some witch hazel as an astrigent and then I use Trumpers Skin Food (I am fond of the Coral and the Sandalwood ones). In the winter, when my skin dries like a mofo, I use L'Occitane aftershave lotion. The bottle is spendy, but you need so little that the tube lasts a long time.
i only have the art o' shavin' shaving cream, which is actually quite fantastic and lathers really well.

i use a shave oil when i have a lot of hair to get rid of, since i shave everything on my face and head that's not beard or eyebrows.

aftershave i generally buy whatever's on sale at duane reade or the rural maryland equivalent (walgreens, i think).

cetaphil is a great pre-shave cleanser.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Timothy

Post by Timothy » 22 May 2014, 00:28

Maybe it's that I have about the same ability to grow facial hair as I did before puberty, but I go with plain ol' Barbasol shave cream. It's cheap and, considering I shave twice a week at the most, lasts practically forever. I don't do much in terms of post-shave ritual, usually I'll shave then shower. I use whatever facewash Amanda has most recently purchased, or the bodywash I already have on my face. I get the occasional blemish and deal with those with whatever high % benzoyl peroxide cream was on sale the last time we needed more.
"i say make some popcorn and give me a blanket to hide this six foot boner i have." --dhex

"The difference between Hodor! and Jeb! is that at the end of the day, one of them gets to stop pretending he's retarded." -- Jasper